Do you consider Matt Hughes a top ten WW of all time?

Do you consider Matt Hughes a top ten WW of all time?

• Total voters
<{hughesimpress}>
GSP than Hughes Tyron could get there if he keeps winning

That’s not my top ten WW list. Just ten guys in no specific rank who I think could handle Matt Hughes.

Depends on when they are fighting Hughes, while Kos beat him at the end of his career I think the 2004 Hughes that beat Penn and GSP would favour well against him.

Are you just listing random WWs and their chances of beating Hughes with him in his prime and them in theirs? I'm not a fan of Hughes as a person however as a fighter in his prime he definitely held his own. Otherwise to judge the way I think you are trying to then I have him in the best case winning a few of them:

GSP - Already fought in their prime and lost 1-2.
Tyron Woodley - Would beat Hughes
Johny Hendricks - Would beat Hughes
Ben Askren - Would go to decision, either way.
Josh Koscheck - Hughes would win
Thiago Alves - While he beat Hughes once, it was after he missed weight. I'd say similar to GSP that Hughes can beat him but Thiago wins more often.
BJ Penn - already went 1-2 in prime
Demian Maia - As a big WW, I'd favour Demian but it would go to decision I believe.
Carlos Condit - Condit would win
Rory MacDonald - Rory would win
Rick Story - Close contest, either way
Darren Till - Till would win
Stephen Thompson - Thompson would win but it would be on points.
Robbie Lawler - Lawler would win
Kamaru Usman - Usman

On achievements I'd have him in my top 3 WW of all time.

I vote no.

He was the UFC champ in a green era of MMA. Sure, he was a legit NCAA wrestler and had black-belt level jiu-jitsu. But his striking was lousy. I don’t think he should be in the top 10 list of welterweights.

I think the following guys can beat Hughes.

1. GSP
2. Tyron Woodley
3. Johny Hendricks
4. Ben Askren (Better wrestling credentials.)
5. Josh Koscheck
6. Thiago Alves
7. BJ Penn
8. Demian Maia (Bad style match-up for Hughes.)
9. Carlos Condit (Maybe.)
10. Rory MacDonald (Maybe.)
11. Rick Story (Maybe.)
12. Darren Till (Maybe.)
13. Stephen Thompson (Maybe.)
14. Robbie Lawler (Maybe.)
15. Kamaru Usman (Maybe.)

Also, I think Jon Fitch, Jake Shields, Nick Diaz, and Rousimar Palhares would be very competitive fights for him.

Well, I’ve got 8 people that I think for sure would beat Hughes, and 11 that might be able to get the job done.

170 pound division has improved significantly since 2006, and I think numerous fighters could beat him.

What do you think?
3gcu2eQ.gif

Depends on when they are fighting Hughes, while Kos beat him at the end of his career I think the 2004 Hughes that beat Penn and GSP would favour well against him.

Are you just listing random WWs and their chances of beating Hughes with him in his prime and them in theirs? I'm not a fan of Hughes as a person however as a fighter in his prime he definitely held his own. Otherwise to judge the way I think you are trying to then I have him in the best case winning a few of them:

GSP - Already fought in their prime and lost 1-2.
Tyron Woodley - Would beat Hughes
Johny Hendricks - Would beat Hughes
Ben Askren - Would go to decision, either way.
Josh Koscheck - Hughes would win
Thiago Alves - While he beat Hughes once, it was after he missed weight. I'd say similar to GSP that Hughes can beat him but Thiago wins more often.
BJ Penn - already went 1-2 in prime
Demian Maia - As a big WW, I'd favour Demian but it would go to decision I believe.
Carlos Condit - Condit would win
Rory MacDonald - Rory would win
Rick Story - Close contest, either way
Darren Till - Till would win
Stephen Thompson - Thompson would win but it would be on points.
Robbie Lawler - Lawler would win
Kamaru Usman - Usman

On achievements I'd have him in my top 3 WW of all time.
Hughes’s win over Penn was kinda a fluke. He was losing until BJ broke his rib.

As far as a greatest career...yes obviously. Would he be even top 10 ranked now...not likely.

What Matt lacked in technical striking he made up for with being tough, strong as an ox, chanpion heart. He got kneed in the Nuts and flash knocked out against Trigg and 2 minutes later he choked Trigg out. Other fighters would of folded under such circumstances and bitched about the low blow.

People look at Matt a bit different because he lost to GSP so Badly last two fights in there trilogy.

But I think Hughes was getting old at that point. Look at his fights with Newton, Sakurai, Sherk ect and you see the difference. I think if Matt fought GSP instead of Royce in May of 2006 he might of had a better chance to win. after that fight he got older and worse every fight.

There is a big difference between Hughes of 2001-2006 and the Hughes of 2007-2011
Same thing with Liddell. The Liddell of 2002-2006 is way different then the Liddell of 2007-2010.

Not a Hughes fan but horrible question.

Saying those guys CAN beat Hughes? Now? When he has been retired for years and is 40 something?

It's dumb as Hel to say "because those guys could beat Hughes now, therefore he is no longer top 10 all time WW".

A lot of those guys never wore the gold, let alone defended it X amount of times.

Hughes is right behind GSP.

Worst thread ive seen in a while lol

I dont like Hughes at all but he is top 5 WW GOAT. Arguably number 2 behind GSP

In a era where Usman and Colby are contenders, Hughes wouldnt be?? Hughes was a excellent wrestler and had a submission game. And he actually finished fights.

Top 10???? Lol

Top 3 for sure in my books

Hespect the legends brah

Hughes’s win over Penn was kinda a fluke. He was losing until BJ broke his rib.

I'm a massive BJ fan but if it's an injury during a fight then it's part of the fight, I view it very different to coming into a fight with an injury. BJ won the first 2 rounds but Hughes won the fight.

His skills wouldn't hold up as well today obviously but his accomplishments are undeniable

Don’t forget, Renato Verissimo (who?) beat him at UFC 48. It was a bs decision though.
Yeah that shit was pretty questionable. Still No2 WW all time in my books.

I hate that Douchebag but let's get real here: he's the second greatest WW of all time, and a Top 10 fighter of all time.

Back