Do you consider Joe Rogan to be one of the most knowledgable MMA experts in the world?

I would argue he doesn't know more than the casual fan. He never makes any analysis of the fight going on. All he does is comment on what we are seeing. Which is meaningless

World? Texas maybe. Well at least one of the bigger states in US.

Does following the sport at the front lines and practicing it make you an expert? Potentially I guess. But what about all those high level fighters who turn into commentators? I'd say Time does not always equal knowledge and In joe rogan's case he's kind of a mixed bag.

More knowledgeable then most non ex fighters analysts/commentator. Yes. Less knowledgeable than a competitive BJJ expert or high level MMA fighter for example

Last edited:
Lol at thinking Rogan does MMA.

These are horrible kicks and his Muay Thai screams are patethic

Serious question.

The guy has followed UFC since the beginning, started working for the UFC in 1996 so he's been to more live UFC's than almost anyone, he's been around fighters for that long and been on the inside of the sport.

Although he's never competed in MMA, he's competed in karate tournaments and has trained BJJ, muay thai and MMA for decades so he's knowledgable on a lot of MMA technique and strategy.

Looking at it on paper, you'd think it'd be a no brainer. You'd think "of course this guy is an expert, how could he not be?"

But it seems like he doesn't get that respect from the fans, who often look at him as a joke. And not without good reason - he's given some of the worst MMA takes in the history of the sport (Ronda once ever athlete who could beat 50% of the mens division, welcome to the Machida era, etc).

What say you, does Rogan qualify as one of MMA's leading experts?
Now not to sound like a dick head but I do have actual MMA training and have for a while and have trained with excellent fighters to just say that my opinion is not that of an internet retard. I can honestly say he does not know what he is talking about 90% of the time. He can't see punches that miss or people setting up things and he probably has the same knowledge as someone who has watched it for a couple of months. He is better with the grappling aspect of MMA but still very amaturish.

Have you guys noticed that his commentary has mellowed out in recent years? He doesn't sound as excited. Borderline depressed at times.

Too much Sherdog browsing

I think because he was with goldy for so long people thought he was better than he is. Now the ex fighters commentate aswell he's shown his true level. His stand up breakdowns r ok, but imo he's still the best ju jitsu analyst.

He is but it says more about how they balance their commentary teams more than anything. Wish DC would talk technique more often considering he's the tecnique guy by the way. Would love if they just practiced with different setups instead of their couple of pre-assigned teams. Like have Danaher on for just one show... something like that.

I love Danaher but having him announce a UFC show is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Guessing Joe has forgot more about MMA than most others. Joe of course has had more exposure than most so would acquire a fair amount of knowledge. He made a great livelihood talking about it.

He's no different than any other long time fan. Like us he's just watching the fights.

He'd have a lot of knowledge about the fighters personal lives though, since he knows them.

But any fighter that does commentary is going to be more knowledgeable about MMA than Rogan is.

I dont like his post fight interview style. He doesnt ask questions. He just makes statements.

Of course he is an expert.
  1. a person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area.
Just because you don't like him or always agree with him, observing thousands of fights, interviewing hundreds of fighters, training for years, and working for the top MMA org for decades gives you the above.

He's no different than any other long time fan. Like us he's just watching the fights.

He'd have a lot of knowledge about the fighters personal lives though, since he knows them.

But any fighter that does commentary is going to be more knowledgeable about MMA than Rogan is.
In theory, but do you remember when Chiesa, Woodley, and other fighters have tried to analyze fights on the mic? They didn't sound very expert even though they could execute. You see the same in other professional sports; top analysts and coaches often didn't compete or weren't very successful in the sport they are expert in.

Serious question.

The guy has followed UFC since the beginning, started working for the UFC in 1996 so he's been to more live UFC's than almost anyone, he's been around fighters for that long and been on the inside of the sport.

Although he's never competed in MMA, he's competed in karate tournaments and has trained BJJ, muay thai and MMA for decades so he's knowledgable on a lot of MMA technique and strategy.

Looking at it on paper, you'd think it'd be a no brainer. You'd think "of course this guy is an expert, how could he not be?"

But it seems like he doesn't get that respect from the fans, who often look at him as a joke. And not without good reason - he's given some of the worst MMA takes in the history of the sport (Ronda once ever athlete who could beat 50% of the mens division, welcome to the Machida era, etc).

What say you, does Rogan qualify as one of MMA's leading experts?
Not anymore. He seemed to take things more seriously 10-15 years ago, but now he just yells hyperbole, repeats himself, goes off on tangents, and inserts his own narrative instead of actually commentating on the fight.

Back