Do you consider Joe Rogan to be one of the most knowledgable MMA experts in the world?

No, Id say trainers of top mma fighters, most who have fought before and/or are very seasoned martial artists in one form or another are the most knowledgeable people on mma.

Joe just watches and talks nonsense at times and people like his voice so he bolsters the show.

But in no way in hell he knows as much as your never before heard of mma coach when it comes to detailing wtf is going on.

Yes!

TS said "one of the most" not top 5, not top 25, not top 50 for crying out loud lol. He can be very biased toward certain fighters, if it wasn't for the sherdog wouldn't shit on him so much.

He's perfect for the casual fan. Not for the diehards who can tell when Rogan has a shitty take

Reactions: MCS
Serious question.

The guy has followed UFC since the beginning, started working for the UFC in 1996 so he's been to more live UFC's than almost anyone, he's been around fighters for that long and been on the inside of the sport.

Although he's never competed in MMA, he's competed in karate tournaments and has trained BJJ, muay thai and MMA for decades so he's knowledgable on a lot of MMA technique and strategy.

Looking at it on paper, you'd think it'd be a no brainer. You'd think "of course this guy is an expert, how could he not be?"

But it seems like he doesn't get that respect from the fans, who often look at him as a joke. And not without good reason - he's given some of the worst MMA takes in the history of the sport (Ronda once ever athlete who could beat 50% of the mens division, welcome to the Machida era, etc).

What say you, does Rogan qualify as one of MMA's leading experts?

I think it's fair to consider him an expert. I think he isn't the most qualified expert such as a longtime coach or someone with far more skin in the game. But Rogan often has a good point of view and is able to articulate it. Sometimes he's absurd and dumb, like RR shit, or Machida, but he's a paid ufc shill so that's kind of expected

Sure why not, it’s not like it’s splitting atoms or something. It’s dudes trying to beat each other into bolivian.

He is but it says more about how they balance their commentary teams more than anything. Wish DC would talk technique more often considering he's the tecnique guy by the way. Would love if they just practiced with different setups instead of their couple of pre-assigned teams. Like have Danaher on for just one show... something like that.

We all know who was the real ALPHA in the UFC commentary:

And. Here. We. Go ..!!

he's a bit short of that.

CaringHauntingHogget-size_restricted.gif

Negative Ghostrider. Is he one of the most enthusiastic fans while getting paid for it? Yes. And I do think he watches on his own time and pretty sure does like ride-a-long things. He is just waiting for limb breaks, people going for leg locks and leg kicks, and talking points that aren't about custody battles.

He's probably not the best person for the job, but he's inextricably linked to the UFC brand at this point. Whatever his shortcomings as a commentator might be, big UFC cards wouldn't feel the same without him. The addition of ex fighters to the booth was a good move to counter-balance his takes at times.
But one of the world's leading experts in martial arts, no way in hell. He has too many side gigs and outside hobbies to make room for that kind of commitment. He's a personality and a good communicator that knows enough to fill the position.
If they wanted a real expert, they'd bring back Mike Goldberg.

When he started licking Ronda's feet and calling her the greatest MMA athlete of all time will make him a casual forever.

Serious question.

The guy has followed UFC since the beginning, started working for the UFC in 1996 so he's been to more live UFC's than almost anyone, he's been around fighters for that long and been on the inside of the sport.

Although he's never competed in MMA, he's competed in karate tournaments and has trained BJJ, muay thai and MMA for decades so he's knowledgable on a lot of MMA technique and strategy.

Looking at it on paper, you'd think it'd be a no brainer. You'd think "of course this guy is an expert, how could he not be?"

But it seems like he doesn't get that respect from the fans, who often look at him as a joke. And not without good reason - he's given some of the worst MMA takes in the history of the sport (Ronda once ever athlete who could beat 50% of the mens division, welcome to the Machida era, etc).

What say you, does Rogan qualify as one of MMA's leading experts?
He is probably one of the most articulate of MMA "experts" but not the most knowledgeable. Being able to watch MMA up close and personal for so many years doesn't hurt, however.

I think he's knowledgeable, at least with regards to hte context of MMA (IE: I don't think his opinion should be taken seriously when you're talking just purely boxing or another sport like that), but his relationship to the UFC makes him hype some guys up more htan they deserve. He has to sell a narrative as much as anybody else.

I understand Joe Rogan is the butt of the jokes in the MMA community, but the man's been involved in the industry before many of you were even born. I'd say he's earned his accolades.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back