Do you consider Hector Lombard elite?

who do you all think is his best win? shlemenko? palharis?

Not yet, IMO. I think he needs to beat some great fighters to be considered great. I mean, he's bad to the bone, no doubt, but he doesn't have alot of great wins. The Barbarian fight tarnished him a little. Not that Boetsch isn't a good fighter, but Lombard was expected to smash him. Give him a few more fights, see how he does, and in no time, with a few more UFC wins, then yes, he'll be elite.

an elite MW yes, not an elite p4p fighter though (same goes for the majority of MW actually)

Not elite in terms of the UFC, he's not proven yet. There aren't many guys at middleweight I would favor against him, however.

It's hard to judge. He hasn't had any trouble with any opponents for a very long time. That includes Boetsch - who ran away from him and somehow got a win with a leg kick. He needs a couple of wins against some bigger names. I'm keen to see him match up against an elite wrestler like Sonnen or Weidman.

His resume doesn't have the big names yet but it's his skill set that makes me believe he is top 5, possibly a top 3 guy at 185.

Apparently Dana is willing to toss some good money his way. He must think he has potential to be an elite fighter. Bellator's CEO had this to say about the contract Lombard got from the UFC and why they didn't match the offer:

...according to him (Rebney) they (the UFC) paid Lombard a $400,000 signing bonus, a $300,000 starting purse per fight and pay-per-view participation points, was cost-prohibitive from Bellator's standpoint...

An MMA fighter is just as good as his last fight.

That's on Sherdog.

In the real world Hector Lombard is a scary motherfucker and depending on the competition he will face, he could very well be in title contention very soon.

- If Dana wants him to fight for the title he will match him with the Leben/Stann/Munoz of the division.

- If Dana wants him to stay outside of contention he will match him with the likes of Okami/Sonnen/Belfort etc.

One day Sherdoggers will realize that contenders are chosen, that hype train are built and that MMA is not a sport but a show.

Not sure why, but I am just not convinced. I don't think he is crap, but I need to see more from him.

I'd like to see against a heavy handed skilled fighter like Phillipou or Stann and against a competent grappler like Munoz or Kennedy. The Boetsh fight was weird and his first in the UFC. I think he has settled in and his performances will be better and better. 3 more solid wins should put him in a title fight.

Not yet, needs more wins over quality fighters.

Nope, and i doubt he ever will be, and I also hope he never does become elite. I genuinely do not like the guy.

He's not there...and its hard to see him ever getting there.

How can you not consider his resume elite? His record is no worse than that of Munoz or Stann and it's not much worse than Bisping's.

James Te Huna is currently 4-1 in the UFC with his only loss being to Gus
Ebersole is currently 4-1 in the UFC

Kalib Starnes holds wins over UFC vets Chris Leben and Jason MacDonald
Shlemenko is probably the best MW outside of Zuffa
Joe Dorkensen holds wins over UFC vets Chris Leben, Riki Fukuda, Patrick Cote and Tom Lawlor
Falaniko Vitale has wins over Matt Lindland and Yushin Okami
Jesse Taylor has wins over UFC vets Chris Camozzi, Jason Day(who beat Belcher), Dennis Kang and Tom Watson
Trevor Prangley is a UFC vet with wins over Chael Sonnen, Keith Jardine, Curtis Stout and Travis Lutter

Hector got robbed against Boetsch and completely destroyed Palhares.

His record is good, if he beat all those guys in the UFC everyone would tout him as a top 5 all time guy.
te huna doesnt have any wins over any fighter worth mentioning.
ebersole is doing good at welterweight and he hasnt fought or beat any top ww yet. When he fights gsp, condit, diaz, ellen, hendricks, kos or kampmann, we can talk.
lol kalib starnes...really?
doerksen is like elvis sinosic. The ufc brings them and they get cut right away because they fail miserably.
Vitale was competitive years ago, he's way over the hill now. Lawler ruined him.
Trevor prangley? ...god....
shlemenko is busy fighting the likes of minowaman....lol

he has wins over mediocre, regular and 1 or 2 good fighers. Zero wins against a great fighter, when he beats one, then he's worth mentioning in the same sentence with Anderson. I still remember when so many idiots were claiming that he was the man to beat Anderson, ha. Please.
Belfort, Bisping, Weidman, Okami and Belcher would beat him soundly. He's a pretty good fighter, but very overrated.

Last edited:
I think Lombard is good but the jury is out on elite or not. The fight against boetsch didnt help as it wasnt clear either way. I am intrigued by Lombard..so lets see what he does in his next fight.

How can you not consider his resume elite? His record is no worse than that of Munoz or Stann and it's not much worse than Bisping's.

James Te Huna is currently 4-1 in the UFC with his only loss being to Gus
Ebersole is currently 4-1 in the UFC
Kalib Starnes holds wins over UFC vets Chris Leben and Jason MacDonald
Shlemenko is probably the best MW outside of Zuffa
Joe Dorkensen holds wins over UFC vets Chris Leben, Riki Fukuda, Patrick Cote and Tom Lawlor
Falaniko Vitale has wins over Matt Lindland and Yushin Okami
Jesse Taylor has wins over UFC vets Chris Camozzi, Jason Day(who beat Belcher), Dennis Kang and Tom Watson
Trevor Prangley is a UFC vet with wins over Chael Sonnen, Keith Jardine, Curtis Stout and Travis Lutter

Hector got robbed against Boetsch and completely destroyed Palhares.

His record is good, if he beat all those guys in the UFC everyone would tout him as a top 5 all time guy.

Well said. The guy has compiled an excellent resume at MW outside of the UFC, and he ran to the UFC as soon as he had the opportunity, because he wants to fight the best. I was disappointed by the Boetsch fight. I'm willing to believe injury hampered his performance, but that was also his poor footwork being exposed. Nevertheless, it was still a close fight with a tough opponent. So, I say give Lombard the winner of Bisping-Belfort (neither of whom deserve a title shot) for the #1 contender.

Well, hes top 10 so I guess so.

Does not mean he's getting a belt but yeah.

Back