Do You Consider Benson 'Smooth' Henderson Boring or Not?

Substance Abuse

The Best is Blessed Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Let's get this out of the way:
12_medium.gif

Once more, with feeling:
tumblr_mve117qU7H1qjebjqo1_400.gif

Benson 'Smooth' Henderson, former WEC and UFC Lightweight Champion, has seemingly come under a ton of criticism from both fans and pugilistic journalists lately. What started to be mere chatter after close split decision wins over Frankie Edgar at UFC's 144 and 150, has risen to a furor lately after even a closer split decision victory over Gilbert Melendez at UFC on FOX 7 and now is at it's apex following Benson's win over Josh Thomson this past weekend.

Whether or not the criticisms are relevant or worthwhile isn't necessarily the point in my eyes. In the majority of these fights, the men involved were all top of the heap fighters, not easily finished and with varied, high level skill sets. None of them are easy to finish and their skill level isn't that distinguishable. Therefore, it's easy to see so many of their bouts conclude in close decisions that could have gone either way.

What I think is being lost amid the current of hate toward Benson is that despite him winning razor thin decisions against guys who have nearly equal talent levels, is that Benson is still doing his part to put on exciting fights. He's always active, never trying to ride out positions; never stalling; always willing to engage, press forward, throw strikes and attempt takedowns. He is a grinder, but he is not someone who stalls.

He may have eight victories in the UFC by decision, but he has been a part of some very entertaining battles in the cage with Clay Guida, Jim Miller, Mark Bocek, Nate Diaz and despite what some may perceive as losses in close fights, has done his part to push the action in bouts with Frankie Edgar, Gilbert Melendez and Josh Thomson.

Even so, if you think those last bouts were boring, doesn't it take two to tango? Aren't those men as responsible for the lack of excitement in those fights and not solely Benson? I happen to think Benson brings a lot of action to his fights, whether there is a finish or not.

Personally, I would rather see an exciting fight with a decision ending like Benson/Edgar I more so than a fight with a finish like Mir/Mirko.

That is my opinion of Benson. What is yours?

I find him boring but I have still watched all his championship fights. Kinda weird.

I haven't made up my mind yet officially, sorry. I find myself rooting against him though.

Nahh, and I'm not even a fan, people just getting caught up in those very, very tight calls in his last stretch of fights imo.

no. i just think he has proven that the top tiers of LW are about evenly matched.

Gil, JT, Frankie (when he was LW), Benson are all very close in skill level. and because Benson is a bit more attacking (albeit w/o finishing power) and seems to never get hurt, he tends to eke out more rounds.

I find him entertaining. He's well rounded and usually has interesting fights.

My big critique of him is that he tends to be too patient and coasts at times. He never shows any urgency. At the end of the 5th round in the Thompson fight, he backed off for a good 30 seconds and did nothing just to let the timer run out. You just can't do that in a close fight and this isn't the first time it has happened.

His coaches need to push him harder and tell him he needs to win rounds decisively.

He doesn't bore me but he makes me scream at my TV more than any other fighter. He has no sense of urgency and I feel like he can DOMINATE. He is talented.

Anyway, no.

Nahh, and I'm not even a fan, people just getting caught up in those very, very tight calls in his last stretch of fights imo.

That's what I think. They're so emotionally attached to the outcome that they can't see the forest from the trees. These fights are really close and either guy could have won some of them. To say that Benson got the victories in robberies could be applied to the other fighters if they won them as well.

I think Benson is really fun to watch. I think a lot of people forget his fights with Guida, Miller, Bocek and Diaz, where he was dominant, and despite outclassing those guys, still pushed the pace, still tried to finish, was always moving forward and engaging.

I never used to think so, but my opinion's definitely leaning far more to that side than towards considering him exciting these days.

He is not boring, he just gets in really close fights with the best.

Anyone who says he is, is blinded by hate, Benson is no lay and pray fighter. He is always active and has a diverse range of weapons to attack with. He is however not a finisher and he has been gifted decisions against top notch opponents. I like him as a person but am over him as a fighter after all these botched decisions.

Benson_Henderson_Drops_Nate_Diaz_-_UFC_on_Fox_5.gif

4.gif

UFC%2B150%2B02.gif

iBI0McMB9nKAx.gif

7.3.gif

Certainly not boring in my opinion. Benefited from some close decisions but that's hardly his fault.

Of course not.

Anyone that feels that way hasn't seen most of his fights, or is blinded by too much hate to appreciate that he tends to beat the crap out of guys (Diaz/Miller), and just happens to come out on top in tough and close scraps (Edgar/Melendez/Thomson).

I accidently voted yes,

I don't think he's boring at all he just never has a clear cut victory s it always sucks in the end

I enjoyed his fights with Edgar. That's about it.

His only boring fights have been the 2nd Edgar fights and his Thompson fights. The Diaz fight was entertaining but was boring towards the end because he didn't finish Nate. Besides that he's been really entertaining.

Of course not.

Anyone that feels that way hasn't seen most of his fights, or is blinded by too much hate to appreciate that he tends to beat the crap out of guys (Diaz/Miller), and just happens to come out on top in tough and close scraps (Edgar/Melendez/Thomson).

Exactly.

Regardless of the result of his fights, he pulls off some entertaining shit.

Actually considered him the most exciting lightweight after the Guida fight. Well maybe tied with Diaz, Pettis (poor Stephens fight btw) and Cerrone. Now he keeps things a bit techincal and tight but that wont stop me from being a fan.

Last edited:
That's what I think. They're so emotionally attached to the outcome that they can't see the forest from the trees. These fights are really close and either guy could have won some of them. To say that Benson got the victories in robberies could be applied to the other fighters if they won them as well.

I think Benson is really fun to watch. I think a lot of people forget his fights with Guida, Miller, Bocek and Diaz, where he was dominant, and despite outclassing those guys, still pushed the pace, still tried to finish, was always moving forward and engaging.

Think that too, he was relentless in those fights, was a pleasure to watch, and i was rooting for Diaz, as well when he fought Gil, i was cheering for him(Melendez), but at no point did I ever think "oh this is some bull shit, dude aint even fighting" etc.

He's legit, comes to fight everytime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back