Do you care about someone you've never met?

Bornstarch

Holy Paladin
@Brown
Reaction score
I have a guildmate in World of Warcraft that's been in the guild for less than a year. Not too long ago, he found out he's got cancer. He's only 39 and is always a good guy to play with. Always ends his sentences with "lol." He's undergoing chemo right now. A few days ago, he said it makes him so tired that it's hard to even play a computer game.

I really hope he makes it. It's actually stressing me out big time. I've never met him, though he's posted his picture on our discord server. He hasn't logged on in a few days, I am hoping he's doing OK and he'll beat it.

It's hard to gauge the seriousness of the situation with just mere text over a game, but the fact that he mentioned his dad being worried sick makes me think it's extremely bad.

Sure, I do. I've made several very good friends online over the years that I'm quite close with.

In fact, I met my wife online & after interacting with her on a daily basis for five months I knew without a doubt that I was in love with her. And she felt the same way. So, when I went across the country to meet her in SoCal there was none of that "first date" type of awkwardness at all. And two months later we were living together & a year later we were married. So, yeah. I've gotten really close with some people online. :D

Sure, only thing is I'd never burn loot and riot over any person, especially one I've never met and lives thousands of miles away.

Sure, man.

Plenty of peeps that I've never met IRL

Yeah loads. No need to bore you with details but moved half way across the world to be with someone. It didn't work out and I totally regretted it and ended it after 5 days.

We were obsessed with each other, I don't know if it was love or that but I think it was love. If I didn't wake up to a message from that person I was really worried. When I finally moved in with him we had already had all the old married couple arguments that you would have in 20 years. We knew all our foibles but didn't really like them.

We had this tech support guy I used to have to call all the time to fix our tv system at work. He was hilarious and I actually got to know him pretty well over the years. He lived in Pahrump and had a bunch of chickens you could always hear in the background. Last time I talked with him he was "sick" but I never really knew why. We switched TV systems and I never heard from him again but I always wondered what happened to him. He seemed like a genuinely great person.

In modern times I'd say interacting regularly with someone online is "meeting" them, as online society is coming even with real world.

And I'm 40...when the www. as we knew it today wasn't a thing, only nerds cared about modems and internet, and back then if you met a girl online you probably weren't getting laid, because it was probably a guy...

Last edited:
Yeah loads. No need to bore you with details but moved half way across the world to be with someone. It didn't work out and I totally regretted it and ended it after 5 days.

We were obsessed with each other, I don't know if it was love or that but I think it was love. If I didn't wake up to a message from that person I was really worried. When I finally moved in with him we had already had all the old married couple arguments that you would have in 20 years. We knew all our foibles but didn't really like them.

Why did you break up after 5 days?

100 words or less.

100 words or less.
Realised I had made a grave mistake. It wasn't a bad break up. He is alcoholic and that was pretty much how I was going to end up if I stayed with him. We argued like fuck for months before we even met like we had already been married for 40 years and I knew him like no one in the history of the earth knew anyone before meeting. I would speak to him sometimes for 6 hours a day on the phone 5 days a week.

Realised I had made a grave mistake. It wasn't a bad break up. He is alcoholic and that was pretty much how I was going to end up if I stayed with him. We argued like fuck for months before we even met like we had already been married for 40 years and I knew him like no one in the history of the earth knew anyone before meeting. I would speak to him sometimes for 6 hours a day on the phone 5 days a week.

That's pretty crazy. I'm surprised you still met after all that arguing. The phone thing is absolutely nuts. That's real obsession right there.

I had a situation like 12 years ago where this girl randomly started talking to me on a sports forum and it turned out we were only 30 miles apart. We pretty much fell in love through phone conversations but she would never meet me. Always said her anxiety prevented her from going through with it. She would send me pictures and she was like a 6/10 at best so I never thought I was being cat fished but I knew she had some sort of big lie going on that she wouldn't let me find out about.

During that time, I searched for her online and her profiles always had some random picture that wasn't her in them but her work website had a picture of 2 girls, with her name and another girl's name below. One of the girls was cute and vaguely looked like the pics she had sent and the other was fat and ugly. Her name was listed first and she was on the left in the pic so I assumed that was really her.

Haven't spoken to her in 7 years but I randomly looked her up just a couple days ago and she finally has a profile picture of herself posted on her profile. She was the fat and ugly chick in that picture. She would never meet me because she lied about what she looked like and knew I wouldn't be attracted to her. I think for years she "hid" from me online and finally stopped hiding since it had been so long since we talked. Was such a waste of time for the both of us. We probably talked for 5 or 6 years off and on.

100 words or less.

yeah sounds reasonable

That's pretty crazy. I'm surprised you still met after all that arguing. The phone thing is absolutely nuts. That's real obsession right there.

I had a situation like 12 years ago where this girl randomly started talking to me on a sports forum and it turned out we were only 30 miles apart. We pretty much fell in love through phone conversations but she would never meet me. Always said her anxiety prevented her from going through with it. She would send me pictures and she was like a 6/10 at best so I never thought I was being cat fished but I knew she had some sort of big lie going on that she wouldn't let me find out about.

During that time, I searched for her online and her profiles always had some random picture that wasn't her in them but her work website had a picture of 2 girls, with her name and another girl's name below. One of the girls was cute and vaguely looked like the pics she had sent and the other was fat and ugly. Her name was listed first and she was on the left in the pic so I assumed that was really her.

Haven't spoken to her in 7 years but I randomly looked her up just a couple days ago and she finally has a profile picture of herself posted on her profile. She was the fat and ugly chick in that picture. She would never meet me because she lied about what she looked like and knew I wouldn't be attracted to her. I think for years she "hid" from me online and finally stopped hiding since it had been so long since we talked. Was such a waste of time for the both of us. We probably talked for 5 or 6 years off and on.

Screenshot_20200813-004536.jpg

Back