Do you belong in the 1000lb club?

The mind quits before the body does, so you'd be surprised. You can keep pushing yourself, and if you're only in 3-6 feet of water like a lot of lap pools, there's pretty much no consequences to pushing yourself to the point of complete exhaustion. Just have a buddy that's swimming near you or have a lifeguard on duty if you want to be safe, but you'll know you're about to black out before you actually do. And if you are really struggling, substituting the breast stroke for 25-50m isn't going to totally destroy your time.
Oh I get it, that's why I said I'd have to switch up strokes. I did a mud run that had a swim that I think was about a half mile, started out freestyle, switched up to breaststroke about half way. It was a superhero themed race and my biggest take away from seeing the other people was- don't swim with a cape and togas are probably the worst choice of costumes for those types of races. Saw a lot of people with capes have to resort to the safety line and one dude in a toga looked like a panicked jellyfish trying to swim, he had to go to the safety line as well.

I'm a manlet. There is no actual difference if I DL or not.
BrettGibbs_dls-300x300.jpg

ausjohnpaulcauchijpeg-14_orig.jpg

these guys are practically dwarfs and set record breaking deadlifts.

your height and weight isn't a problem IMO. You can increase your bench goal to 140kg. you just gotta be crazy driven to do it but it is not out of your reach. Not even close...

How long do you think it would take though? I currently squat 120kg and deadlift 140. My bench is 105, which is closest to my goals. I've been lifting for several years now although it's only been 5 months that I've really focused on a powerlifting style program.

The numbers I listed are goals I weights I hope to hit in a year.

Weight: 185

Squat: 545
Bench: 365
Deadlift: 625
Never competed in a meet or anything.

For the real athletes:
One-mile run: 4:08
5k run: 16:57
2-mile swim (pool, no fins): 56min
Can knock out pinch grip pullups
if you could run a 4 minute mile while able to deadlift 600 at 185 you would be in elite company. In fact, I cant think of one 4 minute miler who can even squat 500.

if you could run a 4 minute mile while able to deadlift 600 at 185 you would be in elite company. In fact, I cant think of one 4 minute miler who can even squat 500.
They're a lot more common where I'm at. There are many locally who simply put me to shame, but I will admit that this specific place in North Carolina has a really uncommon collection of people.

people don't believe me when I say this, but I've personally seen my dad max 610 on the bench, and rep 475 a good 7 times

I was voluntold to go to the gym w/ him one whole summer when I was like 15, man it was embarrassing. Clearly I couldn't spot him on jack and shit for free weights, but even the machines got crazy. Dude maxed out the tricep extension, was way too easy so started sliding in dumbbells in between the cables. It got so bad, I had to put it on '0' and just do the extra free weights
edit: for reference my dad was a multiple time USMC powerlifting champion and on the all military bodybuilding team

Never did compete raw so not sure what I was capable of during my competitive powerlifting days. Also most of my training was tailored towards getting better in my gear I never went all out with raw training. Sometimes I wish for my own personal sake. My best raw gym lifts easily surpass 1000 pounds though. If I would have to guess in competition I could have hit 1350-1400 total raw @ 165 pounds at my prime based on my raw strength back then, but I guess I'll never know. Would love to make a comeback though just for my own personal wellbeing. Wife even gave the ok to build my own home gym, but don't want to use up my bedroom downstairs for that and the garage can get hot AF in the summer.

It's easily been over 5 years since I stopped training consistently, not to mention the past 6 months I lifted ONLY twice. I'm now like 147-148 pounds. I benched two days ago and had muscle fatigue after 2 working sets. I at least can still bench 225 for a few reps, which I shouldn't complain for not benching for over 6 months and losing another 6-7 pounds (and probably adding fat at the same time). I think with a 12 week training cycle I could probably still total over 1000 and stay around 150 pounds, which is sadly weak AF.

@sub_thug

Back when I was doing triathlons, I’d get my 2.4 mike swims done in 1:01 to 1:06

My 5k time was about like yours until I hurt myself a few months ago, your mile mile time is faster than mine though.

Yea, easily. My bench probably sucks, but I could most likely deadlift over half that much already.

@sub_thug

Back when I was doing triathlons, I’d get my 2.4 mike swims done in 1:01 to 1:06

My 5k time was about like yours until I hurt myself a few months ago, your mile mile time is faster than mine though.
Your swim time whoops my butt. Your marathon and triathlon times are going to be much better than mine, so you've got the edge there.

It's easier for a "strong" person to get a faster mile time. At ~185, I'm not super tiny, and I have pretty powerful legs. In short distances (1.5 miles and below), that power means a lot. Hell, I can generate more power on a bike for a mile than Lance Armstrong on PEDS could! So in a Tour de France situation over several weeks of constant riding, that power generation means... absolutely nothing. I can't sustain it like he can, and I can't sustain some of my output like you could as a serious Ironman. For my purposes, it works pretty well though :)

got dudes busting out Roger Bannister times here haha and for what?

max the 2 minute run at what, 13:07 or some ish. Good enough for government work

got dudes busting out Roger Bannister times here haha and for what?

max the 2 minute run at what, 13:07 or some ish. Good enough for government work
You know why I have a compelling interest in running fast. And some dudes just like athletic hobbies. :)

You know why I have a compelling interest in running fast. And some dudes just like athletic hobbies. :)
I feel you playa, I was just messing around

I did have that view towards all the IN officers running 9 min two miles for no apparent reason tho. Like bro, relax haha

and you're right, my dad retired as a SgtMaj like ten years ago, and he still works out twice a day and weighs a solid 240 at like 55 (roughly Arnold in Commando build)

I have no idea how much a Dodge Omni weighs, but as a kid we went to the R Bros B&B circus down in San Bernardino and my dad's friend drove. His Omni got stuck in the sand and we couldn't get It out....

My dad simply deadlifted each end completely out of the sand off the ground and we were able to go. Now I was like 6, but that's still probably the most impressive feat of strength I've seen IRL
edit: they weighed about 2150 lbs/980 kgs

I feel you playa, I was just messing around

I did have that view towards all the IN officers running 9 min two miles for no apparent reason tho. Like bro, relax haha

and you're right, my dad retired as a SgtMaj like ten years ago, and he still works out twice a day and weighs a solid 240 at like 55 (roughly Arnold in Commando build)
I get it. It's that whole "lead from the front" thing manifesting itself in a literal sense. And for officers, we have enough of them that use running times as a form of dick-measuring that this shit is still pervasive. Never mind that half of them are weak as fuck and can't carry heavy shit around. There were men that I wanted to punch in the face during both SFAS and SFQC that couldn't carry full rucks and a MG or a casualty on their ruck. Part of being a leader means doing the hard stuff yourself, and I hate that pussy shit with a fiery passion.

Your dad sounds badass.

I get it. It's that whole "lead from the front" thing manifesting itself in a literal sense. And for officers, we have enough of them that use running times as a form of dick-measuring that this shit is still pervasive. Never mind that half of them are weak as fuck and can't carry heavy shit around. There were men that I wanted to punch in the face during both SFAS and SFQC that couldn't carry full rucks and a MG or a casualty on their ruck. Part of being a leader means doing the hard stuff yourself, and I hate that pussy shit with a fiery passion.

Your dad sounds badass.
we rucked a lot (did two 34 milers, a 25, two 24s, and a 30 in the time I was there) and most of our officers were hard chargers from either West Point, VMI, Citadel or Norwich (like literally all of them) and they all had Ranger Tabs (literally, every single IN officer, although they obviously get priority in attending the course or RASP if they want).

We only had like one really douchy 1LT, and his dad was a Lt General so that kinda made sense. We called him the Brigadier LT and he hated that shit hahahahaha

My unit was pretty nuts for just being a regular IN unit, they made me train and 'qualify' for both EIB and EFMB despite me being a fueler and not being allowed to don either... Cmon son

Dad is pretty legit, the Marines chose one person to run the Summer Olympic torch in 1984 for a mile and he was whom they chose. I actually have it framed in my house today

They're a lot more common where I'm at. There are many locally who simply put me to shame, but I will admit that this specific place in North Carolina has a really uncommon collection of people.

SOCOM in Ft Bragg?

Over 1000 lbs with squat and deadlift.

<{UberTS}>

SOCOM in Ft Bragg?
3rd Group and worked for USASOC HQ briefly.

There is a guy I know who works for a much cooler unit that actually competed in several Olympic games. He's taller than 6'6, and he runs well under 9:00 for 2 miles. The guy could probably deadlift close to 800lbs. He's an absolute beast. Most people don't really have an understanding of who some of these guys are at the upper end of the spectrum. Incredibly high human performance levels, and none of them are using gear.

Last edited:
Back