Do you believe the next president should fight for Obamacare?

I live in MA and have spent most of my adult life here, so there really hasn't been a noticeable difference. We had Romneycare before and now we have Obamacare. Rates have gone up, but not at the rate they were before. Not a glowing endorsement, but I haven't really been effected either way. I know people who say they hate it in its entirety, but admit to liking certain aspects about it, like having their kids on their plan for longer or not being denied coverage for pre-existing conditions. I sometimes wonder if Obamacare is just a victim of bad marketing.
I'd love to see improvements made, but America has a long history of punishing anyone who tries to reform healthcare. This has been the case since the 19th century. It's historically one of the most stubborn institutions to reform, which is ironic because its also one of the institutions that everyone agrees needs reform.

I live in MA and have spent most of my adult life here, so there really hasn't been a noticeable difference. We had Romneycare before and now we have Obamacare. Rates have gone up, but not at the rate they were before. Not a glowing endorsement, but I haven't really been effected either way. I know people who say they hate it in its entirety, but admit to liking certain aspects about it, like having their kids on their plan for longer or not being denied coverage for pre-existing conditions. I sometimes wonder if Obamacare is just a victim of bad marketing.
I'd love to see improvements made, but America has a long history of punishing anyone who tries to reform healthcare. This has been the case since the 19th century. It's historically one of the most stubborn institutions to reform, which is ironic because its also one of the institutions that everyone agrees needs reform.
Obamacare is not victim of bad advertising. It's just not sustainable. It will fail because it just can't work. You're seeing insurance companies drop out cause they just can't do it. And people just can't afford Obamacare premiums and deductibles. Those prices have just gotten insane.

Hurt me by raising my rates for the same amount of coverage

Hurt my Highschool education friends by fining them for not having healthcare, or the ones that chose to get it had to pay in monthly but chose not to go to the doc anyway because they felt they still couldn't afford it

Universal healthcare longings for aside, is there anyone who benefited from the specific Obamacare before and after?

I benefitted. Previously I was unable to get coverage because of a weird blood anomally.

It does not effect me in any way, but because my tests are a few points out of the norm he companies do not want to insure me. I have have the same blood test results for my whole life but once a doctor put a note in my record I was screwed. The anomally is a genetic thing for me (I have blood tests going back 25 years tbat are the same.) Apparently these same results can als suggest a serious disorder, but because there is no specific cause for my results insurance companies chose not to take the risk. I got insurance for the first time in 10 years. Ironically, a few months later I started offering healthcare to my employees and was able to get it anyway so I really only benefited for about 8 months.

The gov't should setup cheaper places for medical care run by rookie med school graduates and some experienced guys and give them tax incentives to work for lower pay. Like Doctors Without Borders but within US of A.

Actually like Doc Hollywood Michael J. Fox movie.
That program exists to get doctors into areas without doctors. For instance there is a county in GA with only one general practioner.

Not the Affordable Care Act per say as I think it’s a pretty wonky way to go about socialized medicine – an understandable half measure, given the environment it came from, but a half measure nonetheless. I think it should be looked at as a transitory piece of legislation as we move towards some other model of socialized medicine.

Obamacare is not victim of bad advertising. It's just not sustainable. It will fail because it just can't work. You're seeing insurance companies drop out cause they just can't do it. And people just can't afford Obamacare premiums and deductibles. Those prices have just gotten insane.
Understandable, but the prices were already on their way to becoming insane before ACA was enacted.

Understandable, but the prices were already on their way to becoming insane before ACA was enacted.
If so, Obamacare was enacted based on promises to make it affordable. Instantly, we lost our insurance and looked at marketplace insurance prices and they were through the roof! At costs well above my home mortgage. The increase in prices from Obamacare probably had to do with insurance being required to cover everyone regardless of health or habits. They also had to cover certain procedures not everyone needs. So costs went up because of that also.

Depends. If they have a better solution they should fight to remove it. Some kind of healthcare reform is necessary. I'm still not a fan of the mandate, tax or not. However, I don't think we can return to the old system because it needed to be fixed. My preferred free market fixes are probably unlikely though.

If so, Obamacare was enacted based on promises to make it affordable. Instantly, we lost our insurance and looked at marketplace insurance prices and they were through the roof! At costs well above my home mortgage. The increase in prices from Obamacare probably had to do with insurance being required to cover everyone regardless of health or habits. They also had to cover certain procedures not everyone needs. So costs went up because of that also.
I couldn't comment without knowing the particulars of your previous insurance. I'm guessing it didn't meet ACA guidelines for some reason or another.

My wife lost our insurance do to Obamacare. We got a letter from her employer saying that.

Obamacare will not last long. It's not sustainable. It will fail.

It's there to transition us to socialized healthcare. Which I'm not completely against, as long as I can opt out and get access to something better. Unfortunately for most who aren't poor and are relatively healthy, it will hurt them.

I couldn't comment without knowing the particulars of your previous insurance. I'm guessing it didn't meet ACA guidelines for some reason or another.
Remember how many times Obama lied to everyone "If you like your plan, you can keep your plan."? Probably most plans had to be amended to cover more things and cover more people and the old plans got dropped. So costs had to jump.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that health insurance should be mandated. You can go broke not having insurance and you can now go broke trying to pay Obamacare insurance prices. Obamacare did not make health insurance more affordable. It did the opposite and it created new taxes for people that can't afford it.

It's there to transition us to socialized healthcare. Which I'm not completely against, as long as I can opt out and get access to something better. Unfortunately for most who aren't poor and are relatively healthy, it will hurt them.
I always want a choice in healthcare and I don't want my taxes to go up to pay for socialized medicine so that people mooch off the system, do drugs, do stupid things, not take care of themselves and get it all free.

I guess police and military protection should also come at the personal cost of its beneficiaries. How about that public library? Books aren't free so we should pay for it!

Read my other post where I explain why I believe health care is different from all of those things.

Obama should be forced to be on Obamacare and use the shit doctors. So should Congress.

This guy doesn't have kids

I would call him selfish prick, but don't want dubs. Karma will get to him, one time in his life he will need help, and someone with the same mentality will say no.

No, because I'm not a parasite. If I need help, I'll take care of it myself. And if I do, I'll ask for help, I won't have the government force others to help me. You want to say I don't have kids and am selfish? I'll say you don't have a job or earn your money, otherwise you wouldn't be okay having it taken away to pay the medical bills of people that cause their own illnesses.

I would call him selfish prick, but don't want dubs. Karma will get to him, one time in his life he will need help, and someone with the same mentality will say no.

Basic healthcare should be a HUMAN right. I'm a father and my wife and I work hard therefore have very good health coverage. I wonder what should happen to my children should my wife and I die in an auto accident? According to Senkoy they should pull their 7 and 4 year old selves up by their bootstraps and go out and work for it.

No, because I'm not a parasite. If I need help, I'll take care of it myself. And if I do, I'll ask for help, I won't have the government force others to help me. You want to say I don't have kids and am selfish? I'll say you don't have a job or earn your money, otherwise you wouldn't be okay having it taken away to pay the medical bills of people that cause their own illnesses.

I have a job and GUARANTEE make more than you but that is irrelevant. I will gladly pay a few hundred more in taxes to ensure my neighbor has health care. It's called being human and taking care of your fellow man.

Back