Do you believe in ring rust?

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Do you see ring rust as some mental thing or it's bullshit?

proof:
Rusty_Ring.jpg

Yep

Dom Cruz will try and tell you otherwise though

Depends on the fighter

Dana believes in it, Cruz and Woodley don't. Your mileage may vary.

Of course it's real you bunch of mongs. If you don't practice competitively in any sport you wont be as good. Fucking idiots on this site at times. Jesus.

It is real. I mean, it is not only something that happens in mma. It happened to every single one of us to some extent. Doing a thing for the first time since a while and realising you will need some time to feel comfortable like you used to. I played hockey lately for the first time since a fucking while and at first it felt weird.

edit : some idiots on sherdog will deny it exists like it was a pathetic excuse, then load WoW and tell themselves ''Hmm havent played for a while, not sure I remember how it works''

Only if time is spent rehabbing a serious injury or if the fighter has a tendency to not train and get out of shape

If the fighter is healthy, in shape and working on their technique during the off time I don't think its a factor.

Yes

Have you ever gone a long time without getting laid?

Silly question haha

I believe ring rust is like staph and genital herpes. It affects some people some of the times.

I think it depends. Chael said when he fought Tito he felt ring rust but Cruz always says otherwise

Ring rust matters. It may not affect some as much as others but if you don't do something in a competition setting for an extended period of time, it will affect you. You may get back into the groove quickly... some others may not right away.

I agree and disagree with those who believe ring rust is a myth.

On one hand, Rust is clearly real amongst most everything. Speaking for myself as a video gamer, if I even take a few months off from playing games, it usually takes upwards to several minutes or longer before I can really get my groove and timing back. I assume this probably applies even more to a highly competitive and physical sport like fighting.

On the other hand, the one big difference with combat is that fighters train and spar like madmen for months before competing again. So in a sense maybe guys like Dom and Woodley are right in that they believe that any rust you had should already be wore off by the time you step back into the octagon itself.

Mendes looked fine after 2 years off.

I think its a factor but totally dependent on the fighter as to how much.

Cruz should realize he's an outlier. He has better movement than 99% of the opposition, so even if he misses a step, he's still doing better than almost anyone.

I imagine there's more mental pressure after a long layoff that would give most folks a lot of anxiety.

Yes, and depends on physical activity. If you see some guys with long layoffs with little to no training they perform like shit but if you see guys with a constant training but not to the point of overdoing it, it's like they didn't had a layoff.

Back