Do you believe Aldo is past his prime?

Degen Gambler

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
While he is relatively young he has a lot of mileage in terms of time in the cage. He has to get neck treatments in order to be able to fight. His recent fights have been mostly decisions and Mendes inflicted a lot of damage. Is Jose Aldo on the downside of his career? Does this make him vulnerable to someone like Conor who hasn't been through all the grueling fights?

The ufc must think so if they want the golden goose to fight him.

He is one of the champions who gets injured less often.

No not at all a lot of people may think so because his performances aren't as impressive as his WEC performances but it just comes down to fighting tougher competition.

His fading was the only concern I've had for him in recent fights. But that Mendes fight proved he was still primed. And I think McGregor being unbelievably insufferable will help keep him plenty motivated.

Probasbly past his physical prime, although in the grander scheme of things probably not. His technique has evolved a lot since his WEC days when he was blowing everyone out of the water in a few minutes.

He's what...28? Has yet to even lose a fight in the UFC. Dumb post!

I think physically he is still capable of fighting at elite levels. I think he has plateaued in terms of his development, though, mainly because he has been so much better than his peers that he hasn't had to evolve at all. It wasn't broke so he didn't need to fix it and just kept on going.

Conor will probably bring out the best of him. He has a new target and new challenges which he's probably been waiting for for quite a while now.

He did look amazing last time but bad weight cut has affected him before. His fight with Lamas didn't set the world on fire and he was getting tired against KZ.... But no I don't think so.

I think he's just getting bored. Anderson got the same way and fought crappy against people he should have finished.

I can see zero technical deterioration. None whatsoever. Aldo remains razor-sharp. I think that, technically and in terms of ring generalship, he is at his absolute peak.

He might be the best P4P in the sport. Absent his reach advantage, Jones would probably be wrecked by Aldo in a hypothetical bout.

You can even make a case that in terms of raw materials, Aldo has the most ever. Great boxing, the best leg kicks in the sport, arguably the best reflexes in the history of the sport (adding up to being one of the best strikers in MMA history), the best TDD and defensive wrestling in the sport's history, and (apparently) top-level BJJ. His one weakness (and it's a real one) is his cardio/conditioning. That helped Edgar to push him to the brink of defeat. But Aldo is superb. He is so good that he rarely has to come out of second gear to outclass brilliant MMA fighters.

And, believe me, this is begrudging. I'm not a fan.

Dude is 28 years old without an big injure. I guess he just got into his physical and intellectual(fight IQ) prime.

already making excuses for aldos inevitable loss, yeah aldo will be seen as past his prime after mcgoat takes his head clean off

I think he's just getting bored. Anderson got the same way and fought crappy against people he should have finished.

True but Anderson didn't really take much damage and didn't engage in fire fights. He was more of a sniper and I think that helped prolong his prime.

Back