Do you also fell like the lw belt is worthless right now?

I mean im a fan so im excited for all the new fights at lw, but with khabib away it just fells like whoever wins the belt of the top guys doesn't matter cause they are not the best in the division. Lhw is in kinda of a similar situation, but jones is crearly slowing down so jan doesn't seem like such a fake champ, the same can't be said about lw though.

Not really. The belts are just to provide some structure.

No it signifies the best lw next to khabib.

{<diva}

I mean im a fan so im excited for all the new fights at lw, but with khabib away it just fells like whoever wins the belt of the top guys doesn't matter cause they are not the best in the division. Lhw is in kinda of a similar situation, but jones is crearly slowing down so jan doesn't seem like such a fake champ, the same can't be said about lw though.

So every time someone retires the belt becomes fake? But if the champ loses he was never any good.

There’s a vacuum whenever a dominant champ leaves a division/the sport but it works itself out in time.

Will the next LW champ be as dominant as Khabib? Could they beat the Khabib that just retired? Probably not right away, and maybe not for a long time but legitimacy takes time to build. I could see the strap changing hands a few times in the short term before someone rises above the rest with more than one or two defences.

it'll work itself out in time. its going to take someone new who isn't currently ranked to make that happen.

I think the only reason why Khabib's retirement is a bit heavier is because of his dominance (2 rounds lost in 29 fights), 0 losses, and finished 3 top-tier contenders (Conor/Dustin/Justin). Dude left in his prime.

GSP had his Serra TKO. Bones with his pulsing/DQ/several fights that should've been losses. Silva caught with PEDs. Etc.

When GSP left it was sorta the same. He didn't leave as dominant as Khabib but still. Took a couple Hendricks vs Lawler fights for people to forget. All it takes is one person being dominant although it's a little different because Khabib finished all the front runners aside from Tony but I question if he will be able to come back and if he manages to get the belt how much longer he has left.

Definitely not worth as much but I wouldn’t say worthless personally.

As soon as the Lawler effect takes place, it becomes legit enough for me cause the previous champ didn't beat the current champ. And then the next wave of talent and accomplishments washes over.

Usually, it's mostly cause these champs just ain't active, the mirage evaporates once you realize how non-champ'ish a lot of these champs are. Conor is 1-1 at LW with the only win being against a dude who isn't even in the organization anymore. But what does the PR machine has made people believe? Daner's yelling his name as the LW champ in the MayMac build up when he only beat Eddie.

Anyone with any kind of ground game like Islam Mak, Gregor Gillespie, Lee, Ferguson, Chiesa, Nate, Cowboy, Pettis, Eddie, Burns, Oliveira, CDF - much less outside division talent like Ortega, Colby and Usman - throughout the years and for different reasons, Khabib managed to avoid. Mostly beat up on former/future FW strikers trying to grow out a whole new skill in one camp.

Not to mention, this sport is so unpredictable, who knows how their rematches would go, how quick they would've fallen off had they kept going and so on.

So, whatever. Everyone's good but this isn't team sports with seasons, points and shit where you actually get thoroughly tested. It's a skill based sports entertainment, I'm willing to move on to the next thing.

Yeah, if Conor/Dustin/Justin end up with the belt next, it will be hard to see it as legitimate. It will take some time.

So is the WW belt worthless too? Khabib vacated, he was the best active LW at his time and now we are gonna find out who the best active LW right now is.

That's what a belt is, the best active fighter at the moment.

Nah, it's good. Whoever next wins it deserves it. If Khabib decides to come back I'm sure he'd get an instant shot to try and prove he's better.

I'm a bit conflicted but the UFC could have something really special on their hands( with all the players at 155), hope they don't screw this up.

I dont want to wake up one morning this December and read Conor McGregor vs. ? to decide new lightweight champ.

He will probably come back if Conor wins it.. He won't be able to resist..

The feeling will dissipate when Dustin sends mcnuggets to the shadow realm in January.
200.gif

Nah homie that’s just YOU

If the current champ walks away then the world has no choice but to move on without them. You can't just keep going on with an asterisk for all future champs. I don't have a problem calling anyone else the champ but that doesn't mean that Khabib couldn't beat them.

I get it, but i think this oegit champion won't be any of the guys that are on the top now, probably some new prospect that will come in 2-3 years. Unfortunately guys like conor, dustin, justin will be seem as poor man's khabib since they all have lost to him in a pretty bad way, I could see tony becoming a legit champion if he's able to defeit gaethje in a rematch, truth be told he was always perceived to be the first or second best fighter of the division
Tony sucks. He was just kept relevant by the fights with Khabib that kept falling through and his overrated 12 fight win streak.

Anyone with any kind of ground game like Islam Mak, Gregor Gillespie, Lee, Ferguson, Chiesa, Nate, Cowboy, Pettis, Eddie, Burns, Oliveira, CDF - much less outside division talent like Ortega, Colby and Usman - throughout the years and for different reasons, Khabib managed to avoid. Mostly beat up on former/future FW strikers trying to grow out a whole new skill in one camp.
Those FW strikers beat most of those bums you named lol

Former FW Poirier beat:
- pettis
- Eddie
- CDF

Former FW conrat beat:
- nate
- cowboy
- eddie

Other bums got also beat by guys Khabib beat:
- lee got beat by Al and RDA
- Tony got beat MJ and Gaethje

Chiesa run away from the division and Burns was never a player. Burns got beat by unranked Hooker lol

Aloe Vera has just arrived at the scene same with C-version of RDA in CDF

Tell those bums like Gregor and Chiesa not to lose to the Kevin Lee's of the World!

Ortega is a FW and your ass would complain Khabib beat a FW lol

Khabib subs both Usman and cuckington

Khabib Bless ur bum soul

618809-29f18f5a26ab8949f4357f14fcf4a2cd.png

It's often like that when a champ retires as the belt holder. It's unsure if Khabib will come back. If he doesn't then yep, the transition process begins.

With GSP and Jones it was smoother, as both won but arguably lost, so the vacant belt means more. But Khabib beat all these contenders and Tony lost to one of them. Makes it a contest for 2nd place.

So it'll take some time before new lineage is established. It'd be different if there were new contenders.

Back