Do you agree with this parenting "technique"?

Rusk

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Ok, so i got a visit from my cousin. He has a 10y.old kid (a boy).

He always talk to that kid like he is grown up and not a child. And this time he started some strange philosophical conversation about success in life.

Then he says to the kid something along these lines: "You are actually just a piece of meat, there is nothing special about you, but the good news is that its up to you to change that, its possible.".

So is it ok to talk to children like they were grownups?

Do you agree with his "piece of meat" approach?

Also the thing is my cousin is relatively successful in many aspects of life. Maybe he knows what he is talking about. What do you think?

If that's how he is it could work but it will no doubt come with problems as his view and societies views will differ

I don't mind it. I hate kids that are coddled.

piece of meat is definitely overboard for a 10yo child.

but i'm a strong supporter of always talking your children like adults. Just use the same tone of voice as you would in your everyday life. Its just the vocabulary that changes.

Like others have said, I agree with the line of reasoning but "piece of meat" is a terrible choice of words.

It seems like kids always act the way their parents treat them, so treating him like an adult is cool, but the "piece of meat" comment is pretty stupid.

Like others have said, I agree with the line of reasoning but "piece of meat" is a terrible choice of words.

What would be the right choice of word in your opinion?

What would be the right choice of word in your opinion?

This is what he should have said:

"The world doesn't owe you anything. Nothing is easy, nothing is free, and all kinds of people will want to see and expect you to fail. But you can change all that- if you really want something and work hard, anything is possible."

This is what he should have said:

"The world doesn't owe you anything. Nothing is easy, nothing is free, and all kinds of people will want to see and expect you to fail. But you can change all that- if you really want something and work hard, anything is possible."

sounds better

No worse then a lot of religious non sense that kids are taught.

Its better than neglect or a child hood with out discipline

Sorry no Somalians :D

Lol.

I was going to say something goofy but didn't want it come off wrong

Anyways, what your cousin said, comes off as very Russian, or well, Eastern-European. It seems as though the rough history in that region has kind of bread a "you are nothing, until you make yourself something!" mentality.

How do you feel about that assessment?

There is a difference between treating kids maturely and treating them like organic robots.

It comes down to how he is saying it in my opinion. Is he using it to bully and put down or is he trying to teach a value or inspire?

It isn't something I would Likely tell to my child but if it's done to teach a value and not done to bully then who am I to question how he wants to raise his child?

I don't have an issue with it.

He's setting that kid up to be a deep thinker type which is essentially worthless in the real world though. He should of said "you're nothing but a piece of meat, now go calculate your volume with only a bath tub, bin and water." Now that would of been productive for the child.

Back