Do you agree with Roald Dahl on ugly people?

FléauDeDieu

Le Parrain
@Blue
Reaction score
See the image below for what I'm talking about
SUpdR6P4NCcNUUzbMIouAMoNj_cCfKLMMVUbfFlKTEc.jpg

This is from his children's book The Twits, one I read and had to read to me by a teacher during primary school.
Hadn't thought about the book or Dahl in maybe 12 years until I found an old copy of it while clearing out an old wardrobe a few days ago, and thought back to this page.
I remember distinctly our teacher telling us it was a good rule of thumb when I was 8, but then when I got older I met some truly awful people who didn't fit into either of the above descriptions.

It's true if the person thinking bad thoughts is also receiving negative social feedback.

A person can have bad thoughts, but if they are loved, they will also shine.

Well....I kind of agree. There are some people who's face is just.....ugly by conventional standards. However if they are fun and smiling and seem to enjoy life it certainly helps a lot and makes them more likeable and less "ugly".

Then there are good looking people who are just bitches, or assholes, or totally self absorbed and constantly complaining and have a sour look. Which makes them ugly....or basiclaly makes me not want to be around them.

It seems like one of those falsehoods people tell kids to get them to act a certain way... such as "evil never triumphs" or something.

1st part:
"If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it."

No, there are lots of attractive people who are pieces of shit. Like this hot chick who stabbed her lover's pregnant wife to death:

Now if someone is angry and always grimacing or stressing out it will start to show with bad aging and wrinkles.

2nd part

"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely."
Now he's conflating inner and outter beauty. You can be the kindest person in the world and still rough to look at. Maybe your presence will be pleasant though since people will like your company.

Was trying to be educative for kids

Reality is more often than not your look influence how people react to you and this shape how you interact with people

But yes, given same base being positive make people find you more attractive

Yep but it's more of a nice sentiment to hold, since time is the truest measurement of truth.

See the image below for what I'm talking about
SUpdR6P4NCcNUUzbMIouAMoNj_cCfKLMMVUbfFlKTEc.jpg

This is from his children's book The Twits, one I read and had to read to me by a teacher during primary school.
Hadn't thought about the book or Dahl in maybe 12 years until I found an old copy of it while clearing out an old wardrobe a few days ago, and thought back to this page.
I remember distinctly our teacher telling us it was a good rule of thumb when I was 8, but then when I got older I met some truly awful people who didn't fit into either of the above descriptions.

The Twits was great, all of his books were great actually, big part of my childhood.

Of course not.

It's why the film Shallow Hall was such BS........

W
It seems like one of those falsehoods people tell kids to get them to act a certain way... such as "evil never triumphs" or something.

1st part:
"If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it."

No, there are lots of attractive people who are pieces of shit. Like this hot chick who stabbed her lover's pregnant wife to death:

Now if someone is angry and always grimacing or stressing out it will start to show with bad aging and wrinkles.

2nd part

"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely."
Now he's conflating inner and outter beauty. You can be the kindest person in the world and still rough to look at. Maybe your presence will be pleasant though since people will like your company.
whats her name

All I got was her saying whales are good looking

LMAO no that's bullshit. There are gorgeous people that are complete cave trolls mentally and vice versa.

Redemption? Sure. But in the end, he's just another dead rat in a garbage pail behind a Chinese restaurant.

If people spamming Instagram chicks on here has taught me anything is that looking like you have dead eyes and no personality makes you less attractive than you otherwise would (the fact that they all try to look the same doesn't help either). I get those same vibes from that brunette model chick with the Polish 'ski last name that's everywhere, never smiles, has dead eyes. Now you look at Aubrey Plaza and Anna Kendrick and a lot of guys have a thing for them due to their at least projected personality even though they aren't centerfold types. I'm betting a lot of dudes thought a lot less of Jane Fonda's looks when she was buddy buddy with the Viet Cong as well despite her coming off of Barbarella.

Is that picture from A Light in the Attic or something?

Back