Opinion Do you actually think that CNN is "fake news"?

CNN is heavily biased towards democrats, but they aren't "fake news."

Fake news is made up propaganda, typically funded by foreign governments and usually linked to via twitter, facebook, etc. You know, the kind of crap that got Trump elected.

Real fake news sites try to trick viewers into thinking they are part of legit orgs... like Breaking-CNN.com, usatoday.com.co, although most of these have been shut down.

Fox isn't fake news either, although some of their pundits to direct their viewers towards fake news sources.

MSM seems biased to the left on social issues and to the right on economic issues to me.

This is fair. When I say CNN and MSNBC are right wing I mean so on economic issues(CNBC is worse than Fox News, most right wing piece of US media I've ever seen). On social issues everyone in civil society is some degree of left though(as being left on social issues should be the norm one shouldn't receive any praise for it, IMO it's not politics it's basic human decency). It's the opposite of economics where the US is right wing on a curve, our conservatives on social issues horrible as they might be are far less terrifying than Europe's. Here everyone on the face of things agrees people are equal regardless of race and the idea of a multi ethnic state isn't controversial at all(and if people find it controversial they side step it). In Europe it's an entirely different terrifying story though Trump and the MAGA crowd have certainly narrowed the gap they haven't come close to closing it.

And at least in the US our racists are paranoid about us hispanics replacing them, which statistically is at least valid, in Europe they are bitching about not being a racially pure society and sub 10% ethnic minority's which makes their reaction to higher proportions something I honestly fear especially given the future refugee crisisis likely to be caused by climate change.

Last edited:
so what is your position on this? are you saying that media bias is unintentional or the media outlets are unconsciously broadcasting slanted news?

Yes, almost all bias is unconscious. Media institutions are better than most (and way better than most individuals) at preventing it, and they obviously aren't deliberately inserting it.

I think in general, people should be aware that we all have a lot of biases, and that avoiding bias is a matter of learning about our biases and how to correct them and putting the effort into doing that. I see a lot of people here who seem to think that they just are naturally unbiased and people who disagree with them are biased. That's not how it works.

With regard to MSM (which CNN is part of) bias, I think it tends to be bothsidesist (they are very reluctant to say that one "side" is right and another is wrong if that's the reality of the situation); it's cosmopolitan (this is where nutters get the idea that it's "left") in that you won't see the MSM suggest that God is real and active in the world, that racism is correct and good, that "traditional" sexual practices are superior, etc.; it's supportive of existing economic structures; deferential to power; and more worried about criticism from the right than from the left (working the refs by Republicans is effective). None of that really affects credibility when it comes to reporting of factual claims, though, and the notion that the MSM makes stuff up as a matter of practice (as opposed to something like the Glass or Blair situations) is a ridiculous CT.

Last edited:
That's prejudice.

Half black. And that's just some identity politics stuff you'd expect to hear out of a neolib. Racial progress in this country isn't qualified by simply counting the amount of people of an identity to hold a certain position. By that logic we were as far in the 1870s as we are today, as we had just as many if not more black U.S senators. Many establishment Dems seem to certainly think this though and seem to think that x amount of people of certain identities in government is all that matters.

People like you are holding the progress back. In fact, you are doing the race hustlers a favor by peddling that racism is power + privilege garbage.

Are you too young and naive to realize that is nothing more than an excuse so that white people cant be the victims of racism?

Let me tell you, as a white guy who’s spent a lot of time in the hood. Black folks can be plenty racist. Furthermore, they, and nearly every culture is racist among themselves.

You’re working on two degrees, and you don’t know shit. You got a lot of growing up to do young man.

People like you are holding the progress back. In fact, you are doing the race hustlers a favor by peddling that racism is power + privilege garbage.

Are you too young and naive to realize that is nothing more than an excuse so that white people cant be the victims of racism?

Let me tell you, as a white guy who’s spent a lot of time in the hood. Black folks can be plenty racist. Furthermore, they, and nearly every culture is racist among themselves.

You’re working on two degrees, and you don’t know shit. You got a lot of growing up to do young man.

I mean it's just true. And the difference in definition is an issue but y'all are the ones not deferring to minorities view of racism then expecting them to think racism is dead cause you've ended what you consider it to be. How is that a resolution to the issue? It isn't.

White people can hypothetically be the victims of racism as I've described, it's not common but yeah they can be especially in the future depending on the circumstances. But you can spin your definition into something made up so white people can cry racism.

Again PREJUDICED. Black people can project almost no institutional discrimination on white people. And that's what black people are mostly complaining about. Racism isn't about not liking black people it's about how white people were able to convert that dislike into real world consequences for black people. And I mean not saying prejudice is okay, bullying is wrong and all but it's different than what minorities are constantly complaining about and if you and white america don't understand that the issue will not be addressed.

I grew up in the hood. I know exactly what you're referring to. Issue is that isn't racism. It's not good, we shouldn't be okay with it but it ain't racism.

Yes, almost all bias is unconscious. Media institutions are better than most (and way better than most individuals) at preventing it, and they obviously aren't deliberately inserting it.

I think in general, people should be aware that we all have a lot of biases, and that avoiding bias is a better of learning about our biases and how to correct them and putting the effort into doing that. I see a lot of people here who seem to think that they just are naturally unbiased and people who disagree with them are biased. That's not how it works.

With regard to MSM (which CNN is part of) bias, I think it tends to be bothsidesist (they are very reluctant to say that one "side" is right and another is wrong if that's the reality of the situation); it's cosmopolitan (this is where nutters get the idea that it's "left") in that you won't see the MSM suggest that God is real and active in the world, that racism is correct and good, that "traditional" sexual practices are superior, etc.; it's supportive of existing economic structures; deferential to power; and more worried about criticism from the right than from the left (working the refs by Republicans is effective). None of that really affects credibility when it comes to reporting of factual claims, though, and the notion that the MSM makes stuff up as a matter of practice (as opposed to something like the Glass or Blair situations) is a ridiculous CT.

Jack. I do not know how you can type so many words without saying anything. Like this power you have mystifies me.

"I think in general, people should be aware that we all have a lot of biases, and that avoiding bias is a better of learning about our biases and how to correct them and putting the effort into doing that. I see a lot of people here who seem to think that they just are naturally unbiased and people who disagree with them are biased. That's not how it works."

This paragraph is a beauty.

Jack. I do not know how you can type so many words without saying anything. Like this power you have mystifies me.

"I think in general, people should be aware that we all have a lot of biases, and that avoiding bias is a better of learning about our biases and how to correct them and putting the effort into doing that. I see a lot of people here who seem to think that they just are naturally unbiased and people who disagree with them are biased. That's not how it works."

This paragraph is a beauty.

The audience here is very broad. It's not a problem if some of the lesser posters don't understand if the better ones do.

I mean it's just true. And the difference in definition is an issue but y'all are the ones not deferring to minorities view of racism then expecting them to think racism is dead cause you've ended what you consider it to be. How is that a resolution to the issue? It isn't.

White people can hypothetically be the victims of racism as I've described, it's not common but yeah they can be especially in the future depending on the circumstances. But you can spin your definition into something made up so white people can cry racism.

Again PREJUDICED. Black people can project almost no institutional discrimination on white people. And that's what black people are mostly complaining about. Racism isn't about not liking black people it's about how white people were able to convert that dislike into real world consequences for black people. And I mean not saying prejudice is okay, bullying is wrong and all but it's different than what minorities are constantly complaining about and if you and white america don't understand that the issue will not be addressed.

I grew up in the hood. I know exactly what you're referring to. Issue is that isn't racism. It's not good, we shouldn't be okay with it but it ain't racism.

Well, clearly you’ve wasted your money.

Enjoy you future not being able to find a job and having every normal American, black white or purple, tell you you’re a fucking idiot.

Go watch the police chiefs response to Talib, that’s what the world thinks of you.

Yes, I really do think CNN is obviously fake news. I also think they are a tabloid.

You need to watch this video.

Look at how these black men respond to your mindset. Look at their faces, and reactions to her comments.

This is what people think of you when you’re not around.

The fact you PAID to be brainwashed like this, it’s pretty funny tbh.

CNN Fox and MSNBC are all garbage.

They exist only to make money and push their agenda. Far from actual "news" more of just an echo chamber for their respective viewers.

CNN is not a trustworthy news site. I think most people are increasingly aware of this, which is why their ratings have tanked over the past several years.

Back