Do you accept the idea there is not one clear best fighter in most divisions?

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
The revolving door title picture in many divisions lately, often with a (apparently) potential dominant champion losing to a less well regarded opponent, makes it seem like there may not be a true 'best' fighter in those divisions but more a bunch of guys on the same level who could beat each other on any given day. As a fan, have you come to accept this or do you still try to figure out who is truly the 'best' even though there might not be one right answer?

I feel like it is the case with some divisions, but not with others.

its clear mike and woodley arent the best fighters in their divisions

I feel like it is the case with some divisions, but not with others.
giphy.gif

Its a sport where a fight can be won by way too many options, skill is far from the only one, Woodley won on pure power and speed, not trully technique or skill, that is why he has struggled with most of his competition in the UFC and will probably lose his belt in his first title defense against Wonderboy, Rory might want a rematch as well now.....

I think sea level Cain (all jokes aside) is just simply a class above the other HW's - oh and DJ

Mighty Mouse is the exception to the rule

He friggin owns that division

Mighty Mouse is pretty fucking clear cut the best in his division

Yeah. And that's good cause it makes it more interesting.

FLW - MM (mainly because lack of quality opponents)
WW - Stephen Thompshon (althought not champion but...)
FW - Conor McGregor.

I don't see anybody beating this guys anytime soon.

Its a sport where a fight can be won by way too many options, skill is far from the only one, Woodley won on pure power and speed, not trully technique or skill, that is why he has struggled with most of his competition in the UFC and will probably lose his belt in his first title defense against Wonderboy, Rory might want a rematch as well now.....
He set that right hand up with the combo of fake takedown attempt followed by a fake jab, it was a legit technique.

However it looks like MMA has reached an era where everyone is good enough for the majority of the sport to be a rock,paper, scissor shoe type matches.

Makes the sport more interesting.

After Aldo beats McGregor I want him to drop the FW title and take on the LW champ (he was planning to do that in December before the 13 seconds taubacle happened). Make McGregor vs Frankie finally happen.

Makes the sport more interesting.

After Aldo beats McGregor I want him to drop the FW title and take on the LW champ (he was planning to do that in December before the 13 seconds taubacle happened). Make McGregor vs Frankie finally happen.

Conor losing the belt means he is not fighting at 145 anymore unless its for the belt again (somehow), and even then i doubt it.

In several divisions there is no single best. That indeed is good in my opinion. We've seen where the supposed best isn't the one holding the belt but that is usually just a matter of time.

I believe your idea TS. Most people have good and bad matchups. Demetrious Johnson is not most people though.

It's really hard to think of somebody else than MM right now, maybe Cormier. I'm not sure if post usada - iv ban - featherweight Conor is the single best. We'll have to see when or if he makes the weight.

FLW - MM (mainly because lack of quality opponents)
WW - Stephen Thompshon (althought not champion but...)
FW - Conor McGregor.

I don't see anybody beating this guys anytime soon.
Wonderboy nuthuggers getting annoying. Clear #1 my ass.

I really don't think there is a large gap in talent in high level mma. There were/are obvious exceptions over the years(ie, Bones, GSP, MM, and Anderson), but when the gap isn't as big, it is tough to string wins together over top fighters. This is not a bad thing.

The revolving door title picture in many divisions lately, often with a (apparently) potential dominant champion losing to a less well regarded opponent, makes it seem like there may not be a true 'best' fighter in those divisions but more a bunch of guys on the same level who could beat each other on any given day. As a fan, have you come to accept this or do you still try to figure out who is truly the 'best' even though there might not be one right answer?

Now - yes. Nobody can really say with any certainty who the best middleweight or welterweight or heavyweight or featherweight or lightweight is.

3-5 years ago - No. Silva and GSP and Anderson and Aldo and Velasquez were all clearly the undisputed number 1's.

Back