Do women strawweights have any striking power at all?

This division we are getting with the women in the UFC is by far the strongest division in WMMA. These women do finish fights. I am very excited for the new division. They bang from beginning to end. This won't be like the clusterfuck at 135lb, with 6 people round robin. There are a ton of legit women at this weight.

Very excited.

Wmma.....worse thing to happen to the UFC....I just don't care

i don't watch invicta and don't feel bad about it, besides they haven't had an event in months anyways. I watch a lot of other MMA like Bellator, oneFC, etc.

i posted this topic because I know their are some WMMA fans on here with more knowledge than I can find on google, youtube etc. and while i might not get pysched to watch womens mma, i figure it would be benifical for me to become educated about the new division being added and its fighters

Like I said, the best place to start would be diving in the resources about the SW that the hardcore WMMA fans on Sherdog have painstakingly putting together in one place for people yearning to learn on the exact subject :)

Again, my apology for my short fuse, everytime I see a thread like this, it makes me feel as if their effort is being wasted, when a simple search would point you directly to all the answers that you seek.

TKOs are quite common. The fact that it takes one punch to knock them down and a few more punches on their dazed and confused heads to finish them isn't good enough for you? Gotta have that one-shot KO? Cool bro. What an arbitrary standard.

You know, after the whole Elliot Rodger thing, I've come to understand a lot of the hate the women get from so many on Sherdog and other forums. So I'm not going to make fun of you guys anymore. I don't want that shit coming back to haunt me in the future when one of you snaps.

Like I said, the best place to start would be diving in the resources about the SW that the hardcore WMMA fans on Sherdog have painstakingly putting together in one place for people yearning to learn on the exact subject :)

Again, my apology for my short fuse, everytime I see a thread like this, it makes me feel as if their effort is being wasted, when a simple search would point you directly to all the answers that you seek.

no problem buddy, on the internet everyone has a short fuse. at least you took the time to give me some info and links instead of just calling me a noob, troll etc.

Nope, just like most of the men in the lower divisions.

As you'll probably know Bec Rawlings is one of the UFC straws, here's a clip of her first pro fight

[YT]FKFoBzX3pqk[/YT]

ouch

And lets not forget the other Aussie in the house, Alex Chambers

[YT]ezT00snWJkQ[/YT]

for those who do not know, ufc is adding a female 115 pound class sometime this summer. So this basically means for people who dont already like wmma there will 2x amount of women fights on UFC cards now.

my big problem with wmma is that it seems like no girls(that i've seen in the ufc) have any striking power whats so ever. For me it takes away a lot of the enjoyment if you know two fighters cant really hurt each other standing. it takes away a lot of strategy in a fight if you KNOW you can't get hurt.... for example this is what helps make ronda so effective.... No girls have power.

so my question is, being that no knockouts have occured at the 135 pounds, what are the prospects for getting some powerful strikers in a weight class 20 pounds lighter???

you mentioned in one of your posts that you haven't watched any invicta shows. they really have put on some excellent shows and the fighters have really performed well. it's a good place to start to catch up on some of the strawweights you'll see in the UFC.

here are some sample fights of some of the women who will be on TUF 20...

Carla Esparza Vs. Bec Rawlings (Hyatt) - Carla was / is the Invicta 115 champion, known for excellent wrestling and ground and pound. Rawlings is more of a brawling striker, but is tough, fairly well rounded and gets stronger as fights go deeper. Both will be on the TUF 20 season. Esparza is a favourite to win the show.

[YT]k2YjX2QmFIw[/YT]

Joanne Calderwood Vs. Livia Von Plettenberg - A one sided highlight reel for Joanne Calderwood. A tremendous display of muay thai skills from one of the very best strikers in all of MMA. Her opponent is tough, but really didn't have much to offer for someone like Jo Jo. Joanne is one of the favourites to win TUF 20. Plettenberg is not on the show.

[YT]dB4ZBpSVvuI[/YT]

Tecia Torres Vs. Rose Namajunas - Tecia is a brawling striker who has an unlimited gas tank. Very well rounded, but prefers to stand and trade punches, elbows, kicks...Rose has very slick submission skills and creative striking. She is very well rounded. Both will be on the TUF 20 season, and this is an excellent fight. Tecia is a favourite to win the show.

[YT]VFBLaxyc8yA[/YT]

Tecia Torres Vs. Felice Herrig - the coming out party for Tecia Torres. Felice was making her Invicta debut and had the big name behind her. Both will be on the TUF 20 season. Herrig is good, but Torres looked excellent in this fight, proving why she is considered one of the best, and favourites to win the show.

[YT]lCnjiRBqPXk[/YT]

Alex Chambers Vs. Jodie Esquibel - A great performance from Alex Chambers. She is moving up from Atomweight to compete in TUF 20. Her striking is solid and so is her grappling. Considered by most to be a bit small, so not a favourite to win the tournament.

[YT]YEWkxW9aCNU[/YT]

Emily Kagan Vs. Rose Namajunas - Both will be on the TUF 20 season. Kagan is not favoured to win, but she is a solid competitor with well rounded skills. This is a pretty good fight, some back and forth. Namajunas uses her superior grappling and submissions here in her pro debut.

[YT]cAcV50CClu8[/YT]

Three Strawweights have been signed by the UFC, but will not be part of the TUF 20 season...Claudia Gadelha (a big Strawweight, she was a favourite to win the show), Juliana Lima, and Paige Van Zandt.

Back