1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

Do we OVER THINK Jiu-Jitsu?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by the_Dark Knight, Jul 14, 2010.

1. the_Dark Knight

the_Dark Knight Purple Belt

Another thing that gets me is how easily techs are hit in the instructionals. There's no questioning of the tech and what happens when the move a certain way. Its perfectly done no matter how flashy

2. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

Lack of practice and probably coupled by a lack of explaination. You'll see in classes as well people gloss over. For example, a armbar from the guard, it's obvious to all and sundry that you put your leg over the head to hyperextend the arm, but waht about posture control and using your legs to hold opponent's posture down or the angle and hip movement to get the body perpendicular to set it up and make the final bvious movement easier. Most will miss those.

Or simple triangle from the guard. Most will likely miss standing on the hip to get greater elevation to pull down the triangle even though it makes it infinitely easier

3. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Huh? explain

4. bloosteak

bloosteak Blue Belt

he means shooting your hips up to get deep on their neck

5. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Ohhh ok, thank you.

6. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

We never taught him that Gracie Gift pass and he went on youtube to learn it.

He was having a hard time passing and thought it would be clever to use something "new".

He failed because he just went against all the principles that he was taught.

7. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

inverted teabag FTW.

8. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

My logic is when you try something "new" from a video, you make sure it's simple and basic.

9. Sean-Roberts

Sean-Roberts Blue Belt

The last seminar i attended was when i was a white belt. I came to class and forgot we were doing a seminar with my old instructors cousin. and for DVD's i rarly ever watch them. The only time i use DVD's/Books is when im looking for a specific move/defence. And I do quite fnie without all the Seminars and Dvds

10. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

Instructionals are awesome. Actually anyone showing you anything is awesome cos it gives you a enw option. You don't need to know it or use it, but it's good to know of it.

For example, I don't use the scissor sweep (I can do it, it's just not my go to). But I do know the nuances of it so I know when someone is going to try it.

11. Dirty Deeds

Dirty Deeds Blue Belt

In a lot of cases, yes, far too many people over think the game. People study an insane number of techniques, but only are effective with a couple. So, in that sense, people need to put down the book, then drill and spar more.

Seminars, on the other hand, can be exceptional. You have been shown certain techniques a hundred times by your own instructor, but some times a new wrinkle or set up will help you really grasp a technique.

I am not knocking those dedicated enough to try and absorb all of the knowledge they possibly can. I am just personally a fan of applied science.

12. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I know people that watch 50 different techniques a week on youtube but don't drill them at all then try them and it doesn't work.

13. BWC

BWC Purple Belt

It's human nature to want to expand your BJJ game but the reality is the first six months are the most important in your BJJ career. At the end of the day, the good old fashioned armbars, RNCs, and triangles get the job done. The spectacular moves hardly ever work in real competition. Trying flying armbars usually ends with you landing on your head.

When you have too many moves, I think you fall into the trap of "oh I have to set up this new move" and go for those 1 or 2 submissions the whole match when they could have had an armbar 30 seconds into the match.

I don't know it seems like people try to make it a little too complicated..

14. fozzit

fozzit Guapo Mestiso

when im deployed i watch instructionals and matches to stay mentally fresh... so they help alot.. its called studying...

15. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

me no think over jiu jitsu... me just roll

16. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Yeah I think that whatever time you spend watching tape could probably be better spent on the mat practicing. The DVDs are not all that necessary. It's just too much information, you forget the techniques as soon as you've watched them.

17. Oak

Oak 栄誉

I like obsessing over BJJ, and I have tried to get into some instructionals and books, but I have already realized that I can not hold onto anything mentally that I just get from a book/dvd. I need to be able to practice it in person.

So for me all the additional things we do outside of class are just for the hobby sake.

18. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

If I see something I like on a vid, I just brainstorm it with some of the mates and we work out the pro and cons.

19. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

QFT.

drilling is boring and it has been overlooked.

My understanding is one of the major reason of the success of Loyd Irwin program is drilling.

20. Karmeliet

Karmeliet Green Belt

This right here.