Do we OVER THINK Jiu-Jitsu?

Another thing that gets me is how easily techs are hit in the instructionals. There's no questioning of the tech and what happens when the move a certain way. Its perfectly done no matter how flashy

QFT.

I had a blue belt doing the old Gracie gift guard pass. He forgot to block the triangle by planting his elbow against the tight.

I was like: "WTF, one arm in and one arm out, what were you thinking?"

Too much youtube for some people!

Lack of practice and probably coupled by a lack of explaination. You'll see in classes as well people gloss over. For example, a armbar from the guard, it's obvious to all and sundry that you put your leg over the head to hyperextend the arm, but waht about posture control and using your legs to hold opponent's posture down or the angle and hip movement to get the body perpendicular to set it up and make the final bvious movement easier. Most will miss those.

Or simple triangle from the guard. Most will likely miss standing on the hip to get greater elevation to pull down the triangle even though it makes it infinitely easier

Lack of practice and probably coupled by a lack of explaination. You'll see in classes as well people gloss over. For example, a armbar from the guard, it's obvious to all and sundry that you put your leg over the head to hyperextend the arm, but waht about posture control and using your legs to hold opponent's posture down or the angle and hip movement to get the body perpendicular to set it up and make the final bvious movement easier. Most will miss those.

Or simple triangle from the guard. Most will likely miss standing on the hip to get greater elevation to pull down the triangle even though it makes it infinitely easier

Huh? explain

We never taught him that Gracie Gift pass and he went on youtube to learn it.

He was having a hard time passing and thought it would be clever to use something "new".

He failed because he just went against all the principles that he was taught.

We never taught him that Gracie Gift pass and he went on youtube to learn it.

He was having a hard time passing and thought it would be clever to use something "new".

He failed because he just went against all the principles that he was taught.

My logic is when you try something "new" from a video, you make sure it's simple and basic.

The last seminar i attended was when i was a white belt. I came to class and forgot we were doing a seminar with my old instructors cousin. and for DVD's i rarly ever watch them. The only time i use DVD's/Books is when im looking for a specific move/defence. And I do quite fnie without all the Seminars and Dvds

Instructionals are awesome. Actually anyone showing you anything is awesome cos it gives you a enw option. You don't need to know it or use it, but it's good to know of it.

For example, I don't use the scissor sweep (I can do it, it's just not my go to). But I do know the nuances of it so I know when someone is going to try it.

In a lot of cases, yes, far too many people over think the game. People study an insane number of techniques, but only are effective with a couple. So, in that sense, people need to put down the book, then drill and spar more.

Seminars, on the other hand, can be exceptional. You have been shown certain techniques a hundred times by your own instructor, but some times a new wrinkle or set up will help you really grasp a technique.

I am not knocking those dedicated enough to try and absorb all of the knowledge they possibly can. I am just personally a fan of applied science.

In a lot of cases, yes, far too many people over think the game. People study an insane number of techniques, but only are effective with a couple. So, in that sense, people need to put down the book, then drill and spar more.

Seminars, on the other hand, can be exceptional. You have been shown certain techniques a hundred times by your own instructor, but some times a new wrinkle or set up will help you really grasp a technique.

I am not knocking those dedicated enough to try and absorb all of the knowledge they possibly can. I am just personally a fan of applied science.

I know people that watch 50 different techniques a week on youtube but don't drill them at all then try them and it doesn't work.

It's human nature to want to expand your BJJ game but the reality is the first six months are the most important in your BJJ career. At the end of the day, the good old fashioned armbars, RNCs, and triangles get the job done. The spectacular moves hardly ever work in real competition. Trying flying armbars usually ends with you landing on your head.

When you have too many moves, I think you fall into the trap of "oh I have to set up this new move" and go for those 1 or 2 submissions the whole match when they could have had an armbar 30 seconds into the match.

I don't know it seems like people try to make it a little too complicated..

when im deployed i watch instructionals and matches to stay mentally fresh... so they help alot.. its called studying...

Yeah I think that whatever time you spend watching tape could probably be better spent on the mat practicing. The DVDs are not all that necessary. It's just too much information, you forget the techniques as soon as you've watched them.

I like obsessing over BJJ, and I have tried to get into some instructionals and books, but I have already realized that I can not hold onto anything mentally that I just get from a book/dvd. I need to be able to practice it in person.

So for me all the additional things we do outside of class are just for the hobby sake.

My logic is when you try something "new" from a video, you make sure it's simple and basic.

If I see something I like on a vid, I just brainstorm it with some of the mates and we work out the pro and cons.

I know people that watch 50 different techniques a week on youtube but don't drill them at all then try them and it doesn't work.

QFT.

drilling is boring and it has been overlooked.

My understanding is one of the major reason of the success of Loyd Irwin program is drilling.

We are over complicating JJ due the race of new techniques to win in BJJ competitions.

We are creating JJ techniques to defeat JJ and no longer to fight on the streetz!

This right here.

Back