Do we agree now that UFC's MMA is a pseudo sport?

SaintSoldier

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Cain getting an immediate rematch is beyond laughable, and I like Cain (when he is actually fighting). The real kicker is if/when he beats Werdum, they book the immediate trilogy match.

Ronda and Connor are basically carrying the UFC on their shoulders at this point. Once they are gone, the org will collapse on itself.

It's a real sport.

20k20ko.gif

[YT]3eUpf4f8LEU[/YT]

It proves that it's not on par with the other sports, that's for sure. UFC is an organisation, so it's not like people should expect too much from them either, but Dana White sure likes to pretend he's bigger than he is.

Sport - (noun) an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Once GSP is gone, the organization will collapse on itself.

Wait, oops.

In the ring, it's a legitimate contest. Everything surrounding that is at best bordering on the WWE from the economics to the marketing and even to the matchmaking. Since things like matchmaking really matter for a combat sport, it's more like a pseudo-pseudo sport - a real athletic contest in the trappings of a pseudo-sport.

Ronda and Connor are basically carrying the UFC on their shoulders at this point. Once they are gone, the org will collapse on itself.

What a dumb thing to say. It's like
you don't understand that there are new people entering the sport all of the time. 2 years ago Conor wasn't even in the sport and now he is right at the top with Ronda...and she only entered the UFC right before that. Back then people were probably saying without Jon Jones and Anderson Silva the UFC would be screwed.

For an mma forum there are a suprising number of non fans here. You certainly won't find me on a tennis forum complaining. Nor will I sign up to your grandmas nitting forum shitting on her cross stitch skills. I just don't understand the motivation.

Cain getting an immediate rematch is beyond laughable, and I like Cain (when he is actually fighting). The real kicker is if/when he beats Werdum, they book the immediate trilogy match.

You nerds always say the sport is gonna die after every star leaves then a new star is made. There will always be stars.

Source on Cain rematch?

Cain/Werdum II sucks as a match-up, but it doesn't render MMA a non-sport, any more than Mayweather/Berto does for boxing.

Match matching isn't based on any particular formula, if that's what you're talking about.

you don't really make an argument about what makes ufc mma a pseudo sport.

People declaring things "laughable" or "cringe worthy" is so banal that it immediately discredits their opinion

Once Brock is gone, the sport will collapse on itself. Oh, wait

It used to really bother me how they ignored rankings and title shots were not earned but between lack of depth and injuries it may actually be necessary at times. I know they do it for the money but how many big matchups can people name off the top of their head in the next 6 months? Now take out the ones that aren't earned and what do you have left? I never thought I'd say it but to keep the casual interest which keeps the sport alive there may not be an alternative.

There are still a lot of dinosaur vets they need to squeeze every last drop out of because there aren't a ton of up-and-coming superstars that definitely should get the card spot ahead of them. They need to start transitioning in the prospects more on the cards so people can get to know some of the talented younger fighters the casuals may not know well at this point. But it is a tricky situation.

Back