Do the relatively heavily muscled Thais train differently?

TonyK

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Fighters like Bovy, Coban, Thepnimit and some others have physiques that look different from most Thai fighters and even some westerners, I think it's mostly genetic due to the general attitude towards strength training in Thailand, but maybe some of you guys know something that I don't.

What you mean, look up any training videos of them on youtube.

I don't mean actual Muay Thai training, but their attitude towards strength training and stuff like that.

I'm pretty sure it's just a genetic difference, all the Thais i've seen (aside from top-tops like petboonchu, buakaw, pakorn etc who sometimes work with personal conditioning coaches) train the same conditioning wise, aside from different styles of fighting, padwork etc.

Some Thais have that Tyson, Manhoef, etc. physique (NOT the exact physique, i've never seen a Thai that big, i'm talking about the "type") where they can hold onto alot of muscle despite lots of cardio. But they are very far and few between. Most are skinny/lean, or just thin.

I'm pretty sure the above guys i mentioned (Tyson, Manoef) juiced at one point, but that doesn't change their natural bone structure and propensity towards being heavily muscled.

Just like in any group of people there are variances in physical traits.

Last edited:
and also i don't know why anyone else hasn't called you out on this OP.

why the hell do you start so many threads with these obtuse ass questions with no helpful input at all?

Not trying to be a dick, but maybe i'm playing the thread quality police. It's like you're asking rhetorical questions in every thread.

why the hell do you start so many threads with these obtuse ass questions with no helpful input at all?

Not trying to be a dick, but maybe i'm playing the thread quality police. It's like you're asking rhetorical questions in every thread.

I think it's to keep this subforum alive.

He's been called out on it. I know I have a few times.

"Which Thai fighter has the best inside leg kick?"

I want to learn and that's why I come here in the first place. I did learn a lot from people like Coca for example. You talk as if every thread I open costs you money. If you have an answer - good, if not - just ignore the thread.

I think like was said its genetics and different body types. Some like yodsenklai started and won championships at another camp at a much lighter weight then was bought by fairtex and bulked up in the second half of his career to fight more internationally.

I know for a fact that Bovy lifts weights (or at least he used to).

Whilst other fighter might lift every now and then he did something every session.

Genetics might be part of it but most thai fighters use bodyweight and sometimes dumbells for some easy stuff. Bovy used to spend time lifting the weights that were available at Kaewsamrit when he was there.

Just want to let everyone know that PED's are available cheaply out in Thailand and the Thai's are not as old school as we think when it comes to Pharmaceuticals. They are actually quite clued up out there. Just thought id mention this first. And I am saying "PED's" which is not JUST steroids. PED's include a whole load of other things that I am sure some of the bigger names may of taken but I am going to leave at that. I don't want anyone getting offended by my comment.

PED's run rampant even in places where they are illegal.

As far as I know, they aren't illegal in Thailand or Japan for that matter.

Just want to let everyone know that PED's are available cheaply out in Thailand and the Thai's are not as old school as we think when it comes to Pharmaceuticals. They are actually quite clued up out there. Just thought id mention this first. And I am saying "PED's" which is not JUST steroids. PED's include a whole load of other things that I am sure some of the bigger names may of taken but I am going to leave at that. I don't want anyone getting offended by my comment.

Bit OT but is it true that Yod used/uses? Im a fan of a guy but was really surprised to find some articles of him getting busted in France or something like that. Google shows something and there is a thread here http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f42/any-news-yodsaenklai-987050/ but I still am not 100% sure about this. Shame if true though but it happens a lot in sports, unfortunately

I'm at sitmonchai training now and I haven't seen thepnimit touch a weight at all. I was also super suprised at how small he actually is, I'm 5'11 and he only comes up to my shoulder. He is very lean and is in great shape but no where near as solid as I thought he'd be....his calves though are a different story lol

I'm at sitmonchai training now and I haven't seen thepnimit touch a weight at all. I was also super suprised at how small he actually is, I'm 5'11 and he only comes up to my shoulder. He is very lean and is in great shape but no where near as solid as I thought he'd be....his calves though are a different story lol
Many Thais have muscular legs, even the ones with a skinny upper body. I lifted weights for years and never had my calves develop until I started muay thai lol

And Thepnimit, from what you say, probably looks bigger on video because of shape rather than size :)

This is hogwash. Most Thai fighters value their health. I'm certain Yodsanklai doesn't do it. Mr.Wong won't tolerate it. Nevertheless, there is one top international Thai fighter that I'm suspicious of. His physique just shout out. He does have a med. tech. as his personal advisor.

Back