1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Do the benefits outweigh the risks when it comes to skipping breakfast to do cardio?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by KOorSub, Jul 11, 2010.

1. KOorSub White Belt

So I just read the FAQS, but I had a question, should I should skip breakfast to do cardio and lose more weight?

Everyone I know is telling me I'll lose muscle in the process. I was just wondering, do you guys know if drinking casein protein the night before enough to counter catabolism.

5"6 220 lbs BTW.

2. big_john127 Profess¡onal Lurker

Catabolism is a lot like over training. I'm sure that somewhere there is some athlete that has to worry about over training and catabolism, but it certainly isn't me and I doubt it's you.

If you are trying to cut weight do the fasted cardio. If not, don't.

3. rckvl Blue Belt

If you are trying to cut fat, fasted cardio is a great option.

4. SteveX Nobody F*cks Wit Da Jesus

If you're that worried about it why not make a shake before running? Obviously when you take it in is dependent on you (I know there are people who can't handle eating/drinking x amount of time before training).

Most protein powders are only 100-150 calories when mixed with water, which is nothing...especially when you account for the calories you will use during cardio.

5. lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

Ugh, the last thing I want to do before I go run 5 miles is to drink a protein shake or consume anything dairy. And I don't have time to wake up an hour before I run to drink a shake and let it digest.

All I consume is water before a run. If you feel you need some food in your belly, a piece of toast with jam, or a small piece of fruit should do it.

Save the protein shake for after the run.

6. ASEGSEA Guest

From personal experience skipping breakfast was a bad idea. I went to lift in the mornings, so the anaerobic activity--which burns sugar instead of fat-- brought my blood/sugar levels too low and I'd find myself feeling nautious. And that was taking a full scoop of Casien w/ whole milk the night before.

Since you're focusing on more aerobic I would still recommend a gatorade or something. Eat an apple: it has some sugars, and the citric acid early in the morning may jumpstart your metabolism.

7. miaou barely keeping it together

Catabolism is in no way related to over-training. Breaking down of skeletal protein is a natural process that goes on 24/7 (there is some catabolism in your body as we speak). It can be accelerated or decelerated based on a number of factors, including activity and nutrition.

KOorSub, this is really a dieting question. If you train on an empty stomach after an overnight fast then fat loss will be accelerated, but muscle loss will also be accelerated (even more so if you are doing cardio).

Taking casein protein before going to bed will help attenuate over-night catabolism (in practical terms the overnight fast will last shorter since you body will still be digesting the casein protein for the first few hours of sleep). If you can stomach it then taking some fast-digesting protein (=whey) first thing in the morning will also help attenuate muscle loss during the morning workout. If you can't stomach it, then you may want to consider taking some BCAAs (which are both easier and faster digestible) pre/during training.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  8. big_john127 Profess¡onal Lurker

I wasn't attempting to point out a relation. I was pointing out that very few people need to worry about either of them.

9. paolo27th Black Belt

Wouldn`t that cause an insulin spike and halt fat oxidation?

10. scoopj ackson

5'6" and 220? Unless you're 10% bf, yes, the benefits outweigh the risks. If you can't handle it or adjust to it, try gatorade or fruit.

11. miaou barely keeping it together

Ok, I obviously misinterpreted your post. In any case, the idea that very few people need to worry about catabolism is not a valid one. Anyone who is interested about nutrient timing (which is what this thread is about really) is necessarily interested in catabolism management, simply because minimizing catabolism and maximizing anabolism is what nutrient timing is all about.

There will obviously be some slowing down of the lipolysis process, which is not due to any insulin spikes, but due to the slowing down of the entire catabolic process (catabolism results in both lipolysis and proteolysis). However, the overall change will be favorable (proteolysis will slow down a lot more than lipolysis), which will result in a good balance of fat loss and muscle retaining.

If the protein shake included carbs (if you are using muscle milk for instance, or a banana or whatever), then there would indeed be an insulin spike, which would result in even less muscle loss (or would actually result in muscle gain depending on the numbers), but that would be inefficient for purposes of fat loss.

So if the question is: "which is the faster way to lose fat" then the answer would be "train fasted". But then again the fastest way to lose fat would also be to fast 24/7, which is obviously not the most efficient in terms of losing fat while retaining muscle. Ingesting some form of fast-digesting protein first thing in the morning is an efficient way to go about it if you are significantly overweight.