Do rusty steel plates decrease the weight of the plate?

Dyson350

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Might be buying some used plates off someone but they are rusted. Wasn't sure if I should avoid them or not. Thanks

Yes, but if it's a good deal it shouldn't be an issue. Being very accurate about the weight on the bar is only important in setting records.

rust comes off by the lb man, dont get em, they'll disintegrate within a year or 2...

Well, it's rather annoying if you can feel that the bar is out of balance...

A chemistry major would tell you that rust adds weight. Scrub the rust off, weigh the plates, and if they're short a few ounces, have someone weld a few ounces of material back onto them. Then oil or paint them.

rust comes off by the lb man, dont get em, they'll disintegrate within a year or 2...

Not sure if your being sarcastic or not but someone else mentioned it potentially throwing the balance off which is something I never thought of. I may hold off, its basically $150 for a Golds Gym bench w/bar and 270lbs of steel plates.

If they're good, name-brand plates like York or Weider and just have a light coating of rust, they're probably okay as far as structural integrity.

But if they're some off-brand and have layers of surface rust, big seams of rust, etc., coating falling off and revealing rust, etc. you should probably skip 'em altogether. 'Cause their structural integrity might be compromised. You don't need chunks of rusty metal exploding off a plate when you drop the bar.

If they're good, name-brand plates like York or Weider and just have a light coating of rust, they're probably okay as far as structural integrity.

But if they're some off-brand and have layers of surface rust, big seams of rust, etc., coating falling off and revealing rust, etc. you should probably skip 'em altogether. 'Cause their structural integrity might be compromised. You don't need chunks of rusty metal exploding off a plate when you drop the bar.

Can't really tell what brand the weights are, didn't ask either. Here is a pic of them though. He also said he spray painted one side of the plates.

3m93pf3lc5Q25U55X3a956aaf0e35c5781888.jpg

Back