Do Russian/Dagestani fighters have overrated striking in general?

Natesblackshirt

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The card this weekend had some pretty unimpressive striking and even grappling surprisingly enough.
  • Zabit is regarded as one of the better strikers out of Dagestan and he was gassed and inflicted barely any damage by the end of the fight
  • Another dude (Zima Romada?) got laid out by Roberts with one punch losing his second fight in a row since entering the UFC undefeated
  • Khadis Abrigimov fought Ed Herman and was so bad at wrestling/in the clinch and striking it was crazy
  • Prospect Roman Kopy got flattened with one punch by Roberts
  • Alexander Yokolev lost all 3 rounds to Roosevelt Roberts

They all had very good if not near perfect records prior to entering the UFC like they tend to do.

I thought about it and I couldn’t think of anything other than that overhand right on Conor I’ve ever seen that was impressive striking wise outside of some ineffective flashy spinning shit from Zabit.

I wouldn't say overrated because people don't rate their striking highly.

They are generally just average strikers.

Zabit, Umar and Islam are about the best of them, with Zabit by far #1 but no power or cardio

Interesting you did not mention Volkov or Ankalayev.

Their grappling makes their striking much effective then it really is. Much easier to punch a guy in the face if he's more worried about being taken down

What about that guy with the front kick to the face, that was sick.

The dagestanis who are known for their great grappling are just overrated strikers. Good to know ts.

Interesting you did not mention Volkov or Ankalayev.
Volkov fought a can on short notice with around 6 times less fights. Didn’t mean to snub the other guy I just got exhausted from looking up all these Russians with little info available online. That was the striking highlight of the night for them though I’ll give you that..

Roberts just has champ champ champ champ level striking.

'Chechen' style striking tends to be a bit wild and one-shot-at-a-time which can work well if you really pair it with solid, aggressive grappling.

I still think Emeev could be something special if he would/could amp up the aggression.

The card this weekend had some pretty unimpressive striking and even grappling surprisingly enough.
  • Zabit is regarded as one of the better strikers out of Dagestan and he was gassed and inflicted barely any damage by the end of the fight
  • Another dude (Zima Romada?) got laid out by Roberts with one punch losing his second fight in a row since entering the UFC undefeated
  • Khadis Abrigimov fought Ed Herman and was so bad at wrestling/in the clinch and striking it was crazy
  • Prospect Roman Kopy got flattened with one punch by Roberts
  • Alexander Yokolev lost all 3 rounds to Roosevelt Roberts
They all had very good if not near perfect records prior to entering the UFC like they tend to do.

I thought about it and I couldn’t think of anything other than that overhand right on Conor I’ve ever seen that was impressive striking wise outside of some ineffective flashy spinning shit from Zabit.
Dumb thread. If your base is not striking, why should you be good at striking? Zabit is arguably the most skilled striker in the division. Petr Yan is also arguably the best striker in his division. Both come from striking backgrounds (Yan is a boxer) and not sambo.

Ahem.

Artem-Lobov-696x392.jpg

Russians with good striking become boxers

Russians with great grappling become MMA fighters

Never heard anyone say Russian strikers in MMA are overrated

Back