Do rings help the impact of a punch?

Back in the day the OG's used to make rings out of steel tubing or pipe and wear them in prison on on the streets. I wish I had a digital camera cause I have a few an old guy gave me and they are wicked looking.

Vilo Magee said:
Back in the day the OG's used to make rings out of steel tubing or pipe and wear them in prison on on the streets. I wish I had a digital camera cause I have a few an old guy gave me and they are wicked looking.

can you describe them then?

They are cut from pipe and then cross cut down the middle into what looks like a design but it actually gives the surface of the ring a jagged mound of sharp points and grooves not sharpen enough to cut you with no impat but enough that when you hit a motherfucker it will tear his skin open. They are also heavy since they are like 1/4 inch wall pipe. they cover from right below the big knuckle to the right above the middle knuckle. the edges are curled up a little bit and semi sharp so if you back handed someone it would scratch the fuck out of the dudes face or cut him open. They are a pretty wicked looking piece of jewelry.

if your going to hit someone with a ring on make sure you have a fist pack of some sort... a roll of quarters, a zippo lighter, etc... cuz that would do some tremendous damage to soft flesh..

If you punch with your knuckles then your ring would barely make contact. Roll of quarters would be better.

There's a reason brass knuckles have the part that you hold in your palm: so you don't break all your fingers. Hit a tree real hard with some knucks, feel the pain in your palm, and be very glad that pressure didn't go across the top of your fingers.

Get some half knucks, a roll of quarters, or order a "brass paperweight" off the net. Rings will cut somebody, but you've got even odds of it snapping your finger.

... LEARN TO FIGHT, forget about wearing stupid rings do you guys all hang out outside 7 11 and wear U2 t shirts ?

Vilo Magee said:

G. Gordon Liddy talked about those on his show; he of course did time in the pen in a couple different places, some of them rather tough (Liddy was sent down on a felony count or two resulting from his involvement in Watergate) and during his tenure he had a couple made.

Apparently they just don't look wicked...anything you hit gets laid wide open. Outside the wall and on the street, they had a certain totemistic value in that if you saw someone wearing one you know he was an ex-con and moreover an ex-con who learned the ins and outs of scrapping in prison and hence was not someone you likely wanted to fuck with.

I think Liddy later had one cast in gold, which he wears more as jewlery than a functional weapon. He once told a story about making one for his wife when she got a job teaching nunior high school in some inner-city/ghetto dump. One Day One she made sure her students noticed she was wearing it by how she held her hands and such...and the kids, who all had at least one male relation of some sort who did time in the pen and who had one, knowing what it meant, were unusually polite and orderly the entire year.

The ring I wear on my right hand is 18K platinum wrapped in yellow gold bands. It weighs about 6 ounces and definatly makes more of an impact than my bare flesh. I don't wear it for fighting. I just know that my right hurts more with the ring on, than off.

when i punch someone, my fingers get huge and would need to take the ring off before serious swelling occurs. I am 70 percent sure, I would hurt my hand more with the ring on. I carry something else

I don't wear jewelry

I got hit a few times by a guy with a couple rings on. Didnt help his KO power although he did cut me.

Take the rings off if you are able to see the fight coming. It doesn't help.

Whenever I've punched somebody with my ring(s), they get bent and crushed around my fingers, sometimes breaking the skin. I typically punch with my 1st 2 knuckles (seiken forefist) and I wear a ring on either my ring or pinky fingers, which will absorb some of the impact just because of how far it sticks out. It's kind of a secondary impact point but still enough to mess your finger up.

Now, you can give somebody a nasty scar with a ring but you'll probably screw your jewelry up and likely cut or break your own finger in the process.

On the surface it looks kind of G but, it's really not that cool.

I think rings would just cut the guy. A roll of quarters would make your hand heavier, possibly adding to KO chances. In theory at least.

would punching with thumb inside the palm be a method to consider if wearing rings or just keep it outside or wear a thumb ring especially for cutting ? interested in thoughts and feedback from those with more experience kinda getting into rings lately

would punching with thumb inside the palm be a method to consider if wearing rings or just keep it outside or wear a thumb ring especially for cutting ? interested in thoughts and feedback from those with more experience kinda getting into rings lately

Dude you just bumped a 12 year old thread.

To answer your question if you want to break your thumb you can put it inside your palm.

This is also the weapons sub section (guns essentially), you'd be better off in the stand up section
its kind of a cross-sub matter, might take a real meeting of the minds to get to the bottom of it, not to mention its actually proper to post in this thread rather than make a new one if I want to ask a question about punching people or things with rings on my hands technically not that anybody has any appreciation for rules around here

its kind of a cross-sub matter, might take a real meeting of the minds to get to the bottom of it, not to mention its actually proper to post in this thread rather than make a new one if I want to ask a question about punching people or things with rings on my hands technically not that anybody has any appreciation for rules around here

I'm just telling you that this particular section is currently occupied by like 99% gun talk only. You will find people more knowledgeable in the questions you want to know in the stand up section.

We're pretty much just gun guys here.

I'm just telling you that this particular section is currently occupied by like 99% gun talk only. You will find people more knowledgeable in the questions you want to know in the stand up section.

We're pretty much just gun guys here.
i feel like we have been derailed and now wildly off topic but the sub is not very aptly named, as well as I maintain that rings are a weapon and I am asking a question about a matter related to the tactics of their use

but ill leave it at that I feel like you are ultimately more invested in this than me and my question was mostly answered

Back