Do regular cell phones work well in airplanes?

RawHawg

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I have heard they do not, and that it takes a specific type of satellite phone to get a good connection in a moving, flying plane. Has anyone ever had any luck talking on their normal cell phone mid-flight?

ty

Had a motorola flip phone back in 2005-06, and it had service on a plane. Dont remember if i tried to make a call though.

Really? Always thought the distance was too great to get reception from the cell towers, but I guess cell tower range is greater than cruising altitude and there aren't many sources of interference 7 miles up. Going to have to leave my phone on and check if I get signal.

As for actually making a call, maybe you'll be traveling too fast to get good reception from one tower to the next.

A regular phone does not work mid flight.

Because of my fear of flying, I would be too scared that my phone would interfere with the engines.

Every phone ive had after about 2002 has had no problem making calls in a plane.

That's cool, ty, I thought they had to hit a specific tower or would lose reception. I guess with the advent of ip based calls, if you can now connect to a satellite it is more stable in a plane. Anyone have any luck making calls way out to sea on a cruise ship on their cell phone?

Never had one that worked. Sometimes it will flicker in and out so a text or something comes through but that's all.

I've never tried to place a call while on a plane. I usually just advise those in the need to know that I'm going on a plane and will talk in a few hours.

That's cool, ty, I thought they had to hit a specific tower or would lose reception. I guess with the advent of ip based calls, if you can now connect to a satellite it is more stable in a plane. Anyone have any luck making calls way out to sea on a cruise ship on their cell phone?

You do have to hit a cell tower, cell phones do not operate in a way that they can communicate with satellites. The reason they operate on a plane is that most of them have a ten mile range and you're only around seven miles up a cruising altitude and you have no obstructions blocking the signal.

Even if your phone could communicate with a satellite, you're pretty far out of range in the air. They orbit at a minimum of 160 miles up.

People were making calls on 9/11 before the planes hit. You'll be fine

Works best if you chant Allah Akbar before using it.

I have heard they do not, and that it takes a specific type of satellite phone to get a good connection in a moving, flying plane. Has anyone ever had any luck talking on their normal cell phone mid-flight?

ty

It depends on the distance of the flight. Most of my flights are long distance flights, and there's no way a normal cell is going to work mid flight. The cruising altitude is just way out of range.

You're only about 5.6 miles above cell towers, so usually you will get coverage - just depends on the quality of your network.

Back