Do regional/local mma titles mean anything ?

cheesus

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I was reading through Soa Palalei's wiki today and came across this..

Australian Fighting Championship (AFC) World Heavy Weight Champion
K-OZ Entertainment World Super Heavy Weight Champion
IKBF Super Heavy Weight World Champion
Australian Heavy Weight Mixed Martial Arts Champion
Australian Heavy Weight Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
W.A Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Heavy Weight Champion
W.A Freestyle Wrestling Champion at 120 kg
W.A MMA Heavy Weight Champion
Australian Freestyle Wrestling Champion at 120 kg
ADCC Australian Heavy Weight Submission Champion
South Pacific MMA Heavy Weight Champion

He lost to Daniel Cormier for the XMMA heavyweight title despite never of having fought for the promotion before and he bet Henry Miller ( that American/Japanese sumo guy that fought in Pride ) to claim a 'k-oz' title
And bet Joe Kielur (I don't know either) for the AFC title (Australian Fighting Championship ) and defended it against Sean McCorkle.

A lot of the other stuff I can't find information for, some of those title sound made up...Australian Heavyweight Champion etc, I can't even find one bit of info on who he bet to have the title of ADCC Australian Heavyweight Champion..it's like some of these don't even exist or are so low key, they aren't even on the internet.

With all that said, I'm not fighter bashing by any means. Soa is not the only one with a long list of titles that sound made up or like they were given away. It seems like most Australian kickboxers that even fight have the title of ' IKBF Champion '

Some of the minor league titles seem to actually have some legitimacy to them, KOTC seems like the place for journeymen or gatekeepers to claim a title against solid mid-tier competition after hitting their prime or even guys running through the ranks..others literally seem to have no meaning but am I wrong here ?

My questions for anyone who has any knowledge or insight to how the regional or local mma scene works & the politics of it. Do any regional titles have any merit ? Why do some guys never fight for the promotion and receive an instant title shot even though they have little experience or limited fighter name recognition ?

Does anyone have insight to how the local or regional mma scene works ?

Last edited:
It really depends on how strong that division is. A HW champion in M-1 is possibly a better title than a Bellator HW champion. Much like an RFA FLW champion is going to be better than a Legacy FLW champion due to RFA having a strong FLW division. It's moreso who you're beating and not necessarily that you have a belt.

mv6.gif

I lost faith in them after the WAMMA debacle.

The problem with a lot of these low level belts is that their champs have moved on, so there really isn't any lineage strength. nearly every one of the local titles is going to be a paper version of another paper belt at this point in time.

I feel like those regional belts meant more in boxing. Most of the time as an earlier poster was saying the champion will move on to a better organization instead of defending his belt.

Sure, any title in any regional org means something. Helps build your name and add to your credentials.

it means something. Not a lot, but something. Can build up your fanbase locally if you win a title and retain it 2, 3, 4 times.

Yes it does. You are better than the other guys at that level at the moment. It matters. If you are the champion of any org that has 10+ fighters with a winning record in a division, you are probably a pretty tough person.

It all comes down to how local promoters hype their events so its their call.

If I were a fighter I would love to collect a few local belts while Im waiting to get signed to a major org (if Im good enough of course).

There is a reason all these WEC guys had so much success in the UFC, it was a minor league system similar to baseball. Put guys in high pressure situations- without being at the top level

In the big picture, no, they aren't very important. But I'm sure any fighter is going to enjoy a nice bit of recognition and a nice new trophy.

Yes of course, and some more than others.

Just think to the Invicta FW FLW AW titles, the Deep Jewel AW title, the M-1 Global HW title, the Shooto MSW title, ...

I have an old training buddy, that went pro, his nick name is "the belt collector".
But at least he makes a nice living, and gets to train both in US and Thailand.

Not really other than building your career. An RFA title means a UFC call is likely because they regularly book prospective talent from major camps. This also means their belts almost never get defended. Title defenses in regional MMA (hell MMA period) are rare outside of large organizations. King of the Cage is the only regional org I have seen with a lot of title defenses.

I might not have the whole picture though because I only know the larger regional shows. And if you win a belt in RFA, Legacy, etc you are likely in for a UFC call.

Last edited:
Yes it does. You are better than the other guys at that level at the moment. It matters. If you are the champion of any org that has 10+ fighters with a winning record in a division, you are probably a pretty tough person.

This

Sure, any title in any regional org means something. Helps build your name and add to your credentials.

Agreed. Almost like adding things to your resume for a job application. It may not be a huge company, but winning a belt is, IMO, better than NOT winning one.

It helps market a fighter, gives leverage for negotiating contracts and getting more money for your fights

Back