Do pro fighters really need a fight camp?

muaytao

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I mean it'll help the cardio, but its not like its going to magically improve their fight iq or learning new moves (excluding young fighters) in a short period of time.

Have you ever trained at a high level for any sort of sport before?

In case you haven't, the answer is "yes."

I mean it'll help the cardio, but its not like its going to magically improve their fight iq or learning new moves (excluding young fighters) in a short period of time.

No manlet, ofcourse not. They could just run a bit on a treadmill by them selfs and it would equal the same.

You could argue they don't need long camps; but they probably need 6 weeks intense training before a fight.

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

I don't know why I'm dignifying this with a response...

These guys do training camps so that they peak on fight night. You cannot maintain peak physical condition year round, your body will break down. The training is just too intense and you will either get injured, your nerves will be shot, or your muscles will be eaten away from maintaining too low of a body fat.

The top track athletes try to peak every two years. A guy like Usain won't even try to get himself in the best possible shape unless there's either the World Championships or the Olympics.

It appears we have a thread started by a video game addict basement dweller who survives on mountain dew, pizza pockets and tv dinners.

C'mon now, of course they need a camp to prepare strategies and to peak conditioning, strength and stamina.

You know they dont actually pitch tents and sleep in sleeping bags yeah?

I get what you're saying. The camp is really all about cardio. The other skills can be trained year round. But to answer your question specifically, yes fighters need a camp. No it doesn't need to be the way camps are mostly done now, but there still needs to be a build up in cardio. Cardio has a way higher range in ability based on recent training, that takes time, where as strength, speed, accuracy, jiu jitsu, etc. can all be put down and picked up again pretty quickly.

yeah they do, I only had a handful of fights but I needed 6-8weeks to get down to weight and get cardio to peak condtitions, you basically need 4-6 guys to stop there training to focus on you and to put you through hard and heavy rounds, no one can maintain that year round, big difference between fit and fight fit, very hard to explain unless you have been through it

A simple 1-2 combo from a guy who has been practicing it for months vs a guy who hasn't thrown one in months will be verrrrrrrrrrrrrry different.

No shit they need a fight camp.

You need to sharpen your skills constantly or you will lose them.

How many wrestlers do we know that have great wrestling backgrounds but then they started focusing too much on striking and their wrestling just isn't there anymore?

You gotta use it or lose it.

I dont know. You need people to spar with and all that. But once you reach the top do you really need to spar? I mean camp should be all about cardio/gameplan and learning new things.

They need a camp because you cant stay in that kind of peak physical condition year round BUT...some of these camps are done all wrong man.

For example, I have been doing Muay Thai for about 6 years now, but I had to take about 5 months off because of a shoulder injury.

When I came back my coach was tagging me during a mitt session like never before. My reflexes just weren't there and needed to be sharpened. I wasn't able to slip or block punches anywhere near as good as I would before I took the time off.

Your skill diminishes when you're not practicing it. Even if you're someone like Jon Jones.

I dont know. You need people to spar with and all that. But once you reach the top do you really need to spar? I mean camp should be all about cardio/gameplan and learning new things.

They need a camp because you cant stay in that kind of peak physical condition year round BUT...some of these camps are done all wrong man.

Sparring will always be needed at any level. When you take time off your technique goes away, your reflexes diminish, even how you absorb damage slips away.

Rolling consistently and sparring various people in your gym will keep you fine tuned.

Back