Do people confuse internet discourse for real life discourse?

I occasionally post stuff after drinking that I regret and would certainly not say in real life. Also the topics I enjoy posting about are not representative of my overall political beliefs so I may come across more conversative on here than I really am. E.g. I am on board with a single payer but that is not something I am passionate about so you won't see me posting about it. Whereas the Second Amendment is something I post about a lot.

Yes.

But internet discourse is also starting to supplant real life discourse. It is becoming real life.

Well, the internet does not exist in a vacuum. The polarized environment on the internet, is bound to have its implications on "real life" interactions as well, as we have seen.

I do not see why conversational culture on the internet has to be that much different from any other form of interaction. If anything, there is much to be learned from how open and willing people are to debate, on the internet. Many of the same people, among the most vocal folk on the internet, will be boring, bland bastards in real life, unwilling to open up about any subject beyond their comfort zone. That is why it is difficult to take too much seriously here, if anything, really.

Can a person not entertain an idea, after all, without being immediately deemed as its most radical adherent, becoming an outcast from his "in-group"? Such small-minded thinking does not yield to too many fresh ideas being conceived, nor does it serve to strengthen those that already exist.

I think "real life" interactions should feel as "protected" as those the internet, in the sense that people are willing to discuss matters without believing that it will reflect negatively on their social status. Taking down the "walking on eggshells" atmosphere, is among the first things to accomplish in order to truly foster a "free speech" environment, where ideas are freely exchanged, rather than stifled by peer pressure.

I personally have no real concerns over a "loss of face" so I just pretty much throw out my 2 cents, whether I'm on the internet, or in public. Anything to make the people think, instead of going through the patterns. If somebody loses their respect for me, because I atleast attempted to start a conversation about something other than the weather, I honestly could not care less.

Last edited:
Allot of the outrage I see here, seems to be based on internet conversations. TDS, race, gender outrage, ect.

In fact, I think the reason young social activists seem so absurd, is because they can't differentiate between a internet echo chamber, and a real life interaction.

I say shit on here all the time, I would never say in real life to someone.

I rarely ever hear anyone talk about politics, and when I do, chances are I started the conversation.

What do you guys think. Is allot of the outrage out there, based on internet outrage, as opposed to real life experiences?

Discuss.........

I don't talk politics irl precisely because I've said things to people that are similar to some I've said here and it tends to make things awkward subsequently

Everything I say here is the same thing I say in real life. I'm obviously very popular and successful and a mentor to quite a few well to do people.

English is not my first language so I say more things irl than on this forum.

Plus arguing about politics on internet is useless, it's a virtual dick size competition.

Yes.

But internet discourse is also starting to supplant real life discourse. It is becoming real life.
^this.

And many of the people who support Donald Trump do not necessarily support him for any reason beyond they enjoy him trolling liberals and see it as winning the 'rustle' war. They honestly do not care about real world ramifications as long as he rustles liberals. They have taken that internet battle to the streets.

Allot of the outrage I see here, seems to be based on internet conversations. TDS, race, gender outrage, ect.

In fact, I think the reason young social activists seem so absurd, is because they can't differentiate between a internet echo chamber, and a real life interaction.

I say shit on here all the time, I would never say in real life to someone.

I rarely ever hear anyone talk about politics, and when I do, chances are I started the conversation.

What do you guys think. Is allot of the outrage out there, based on internet outrage, as opposed to real life experiences?

Discuss.........
I get called a racist in this forum probably 3 or 4 times a week, at least. Never been called racist in real life.

In order to evaluate that I would need to have some real life discourses first.

Social media has ruined people. That's all there is to it.

Yes people link up and shoot it out over internet opinions.

Hell, if I am not mistaken, Bullshido has a Throwdown forum for guys that want to link up and settle grievances.

What happened to Bulshido?

My real life political conversations tend to be more harsh than what I say on Sherdog at times.

I will get dubs again if say the things I talk about in real life here.

Back