Do NOT be a criminal in the Philippines

That's really bad and I don't get that mentality. It really makes no sense to me. I mean, it's year 2016 for Christ's sake. Don't they want to evolve and get on the same level as the rest of the world? It's like they are proud of being ignorant and stuck in the dark ages.

You know what I really hate about a lot of Filipinos here? I hate how they always litter! It drives me crazy. My mom always raised me to never litter and to always throw my trash in a trashcan. I mean, isn't that common sense? You don't need a college education to know you shouldn't shit where you eat. They trash up their city like it's no big deal, because I guess they're comfortable living in a trashy, polluted environment. Really, it's just some small things here and there that would make a huge difference if people stopped doing it, such as littering. I wish the police would enforce some kind of litter laws. The cities would look much better without all the trash on the sidewalks.

I feel you bud.

That thrash problem is so bad that a couple of years ago I made a thread about drunk neighbors pissing on our wall oh and my mom already got in trouble with the town police for attacking people dumping garbage infront of our lawn.

This mentality of mediocrity among us filipinos is so entrench and pervasive that even I will confess to being mediocre and lazy and this goes for my family as well.

Just so you know... we don't have a working shower head in the house until I was 21 years old and that was 2003.

The story was, the house was built in 1955 and there is already a working shower head but some time around 1981 the shower head broke...

Errm so from 1981 to 2003 non of my relatives decided to have that fix.

They were like "hey we can still use buckets why have it fix?".

When I was twelved I was told to shut up and be frugal person and stop whining about the shower head.

so imagine being fed the virtues of mediocrity from day 1..

And my family is not even considered mediocre based on Filipino standards..

Oh you mentioned.

In some parts of Manila there no thrash on the sidewalks because sidewalks don't exists.

I feel you bud.

That thrash problem is so bad that a couple of years ago I made a thread about drunk neighbors pissing on our wall oh and my mom already got in trouble with the town police for attacking people dumping garbage infront of our lawn.

This mentality of mediocrity among us filipinos is so entrench and pervasive that even I will confess to being mediocre and lazy and this goes for my family as well.

Just so you know... we don't have a working shower head in the house until I was 21 years old and that was 2003.

The story was, the house was built in 1955 and there is already a working shower head but some time around 1981 the shower head broke...

Errm so from 1981 to 2003 non of my relatives decided to have that fix.

They were like "hey we can still use buckets why have it fix?".

When I was twelved I was told to shut up and be frugal person and stop whining about the shower head.

so imagine being fed the virtues of mediocrity from day 1..

And my family is not even considered mediocre based on Filipino standards..

Oh you mentioned.

In some parts of Manila there no thrash on the sidewalks because sidewalks don't exists.

lol wow, sorry but that's messed up. Didn't fix it for 22 years? Omg, it's not even that expensive. Just like 500 pesos or less. Save a little bit at a time until you can get it. I guess I just have the mentality of wanting the finer things in life. I'm a pretty cheap person too, but some things are just basic necessities, such as a shower. If you can improve your quality of life and it's not too hard or expensive, then do it imo.

Yeah, it pisses me off when I see someone eating or drinking something as they're walking, and when they're done with it, they just drop it on the ground and keep walking. If I can't find a trashcan then I will hold it until I find one. I think it's disrespectful and inconsiderate to others if you throw your trash on the ground. Other people have to live here too, so they shouldn't just think about themselves. I guess I kinda have a love-hate relationship with the Philippines. I do love it, but I find myself having a lot of complaints.

Lol my wife's parents' neighbors are exactly like that. They're supposed to feel bad for being able to feed and clothe themselves. But those same people who shame them for being rich will also look down on people poorer than them. Like wut?

You got it this is the behavior I am trying to explain.

Some Filipinos don't value hardwork or they shame people who do manual labor like cutting the grass and what not.

A few years ago I bump into one of my High schoolmates.

So he said hi hows life and went on to tell me that he saw my best friend driving a "pedicab" filled with scrap metal and how he looks ridiculous as a scrapper the idiot laughed at him like my best friend is a street beggar or like a bum.

So he ask me what my best friend is upto why is he driving a fucking scrap metal cart.

So I told him that my buddy happens to own a shop that repairs AC and refrigirators and sidelines as welder from time to time.

Then I ask him what do you do for a living?

He replied uhh I am unemployed since graduating high school.

The way I see it some folks envy the welloff and they putdown poor people to feel good about themselves.

In coloqial filipino that is called crab mentality.

lol wow, sorry but that's messed up. Didn't fix it for 22 years? Omg, it's not even that expensive. Just like 500 pesos or less. Save a little bit at a time until you can get it. I guess I just have the mentality of wanting the finer things in life. I'm a pretty cheap person too, but some things are just basic necessities, such as a shower. If you can improve your quality of life and it's not too hard or expensive, then do it imo.

Yeah, it pisses me off when I see someone eating or drinking something as they're walking, and when they're done with it, they just drop it on the ground and keep walking. If I can't find a trashcan then I will hold it until I find one. I think it's disrespectful and inconsiderate to others if you throw your trash on the ground. Other people have to live here too, so they shouldn't just think about themselves. I guess I kinda have a love-hate relationship with the Philippines. I do love it, but I find myself having a lot of complaints.

Agreed 100%

Its like some folks here don't care about the basics of decency, as evidence of the garbage problem and people urinating anywhere.

Its that mentality of being complacent is what kept this country poor.

Just last year there is a power crisis and the Pressident ordered the people to limit the use of Airconditioning during the summer and no one called him out for that stupidity. Not one politician not even the media pointed out how ridiculous is that.

One thing you will also notice are the drivers here don't follow traffic laws like blocking the pedestrian croswalks.

You got it this is the behavior I am trying to explain.

Some Filipinos don't value hardwork or they shame people who do manual labor like cutting the grass and what not.

A few years ago I bump into one of my High schoolmates.

So he said hi hows life and went on to tell me that he saw my best friend driving a "pedicab" filled with scrap metal and how he looks ridiculous as a scrapper the idiot laughed at him like my best friend is a street beggar or like a bum.

So he ask me what my best friend is upto why is he driving a fucking scrap metal cart.

So I told him that my buddy happens to own a shop that repairs AC and refrigirators and sidelines as welder from time to time.

Then I ask him what do you do for a living?

He replied uhh I am unemployed since graduating high school.

The way I see it some folks envy the welloff and they putdown poor people to feel good about themselves.

In coloqial filipino that is called crab mentality.

For a country that is so proud, proud to be pinoy.. Seems like they would be supporting each other instead of bringing each other down. Where's the pride and unity in that? Actually, I never realized people were like that here until reading this thread. My gfs never told me anything about that.

For a country that is so proud, proud to be pinoy.. Seems like they would be supporting each other instead of bringing each other down. Where's the pride and unity in that? Actually, I never realized people were like that here until reading this thread. My gfs never told me anything about that.

That proud to be pinoy is just pep talk.

I am proud to be Filipino but in order for our people to prosper we need to be honest and accept that there is inherently a problem within our culture.

That Prisson Photo alone says a lot...

It says that the Philiplines cant keep up with international standards.

Lets just put it this way there is this mentality that gives people the excuse not strive for the best in almost all facets of life from,sports,technology,politics and education.

here is a rough analogy
If the Japanese will build a 100 foot statue the Chinese will build 120 feet the Americans will build 150 ft and put it on the moon, the Malaysians and Indonesians will build 100feet statues equal to the Japanese.

The Filipinos will build the same statue but with less durable material but only 40feet.

Because 40 feet is good enough according to the village elders and questioning the village elders is considered rude.

Agreed 100%

Its like some folks here don't care about the basics of decency, as evidence of the garbage problem and people urinating anywhere.

Its that mentality of being complacent is what kept this country poor.

Just last year there is a power crisis and the Pressident ordered the people to limit the use of Airconditioning during the summer and no one called him out for that stupidity. Not one politician not even the media pointed out how ridiculous is that.

One thing you will also notice are the drivers here don't follow traffic laws like blocking the pedestrian croswalks.

Yeah, I noticed the complacency here. I've thought to myself, why don't any of the presidents or other politicians do something about it and make a real change. Some stuff would be simple to change for the better and wouldn't cost too much. Start a campaign to stop littering and peeing on the street for example. Make some public service announcements for it. Have some commercials on TV with famous actors. Spread it on social media. Put more trashcans and urinals outside. But I guess the problem is, the people don't feel there's a need for those kind of changes so nothing ever gets done about it.

Yeah, definitely no one follows traffic laws. I don't like when they're driving down the wrong side of the street or riding their motorcycles on the sidewalk, that's dangerous.

Yeah, I noticed the complacency here. I've thought to myself, why don't any of the presidents or other politicians do something about it and make a real change. Some stuff would be simple to change for the better and wouldn't cost too much. Start a campaign to stop littering and peeing on the street for example. Make some public service announcements for it. Have some commercials on TV with famous actors. Spread it on social media. Put more trashcans and urinals outside. But I guess the problem is, the people don't feel there's a need for those kind of changes so nothing ever gets done about it.

Yeah, definitely no one follows traffic laws. I don't like when they're driving down the wrong side of the street or riding their motorcycles on the sidewalk, that's dangerous.

Agreed it can be done only if the people really want it.

I almost got hit by a Motorcycle driving on the wrong side as I get off a Jeepney.

Seatbelt laws came late and are not implemented to the point I myself forgot to buckle up when I visited Malaysia and has to be reminded by my Malaysian friend to buckleup what a shame lol.

That proud to be pinoy is just pep talk.

I am proud to be Filipino but in order for our people to prosper we need to be honest and accept that there is inherently a problem within our culture.

That Prisson Photo alone says a lot...

It says that the Philiplines cant keep up with international standards.

Lets just put it this way there is this mentality that gives people the excuse not strive for the best in almost all facets of life from,sports,technology,politics and education.

here is a rough analogy
If the Japanese will build a 100 foot statue the Chinese will build 120 feet the Americans will build 150 ft and put it on the moon, the Malaysians and Indonesians will build 100feet statues equal to the Japanese.

The Filipinos will build the same statue but with less durable material but only 40feet.

Because 40 feet is good enough according to the village elders and questioning the village elders is considered rude.

That's a problem, letting the village elders decide on things. Young people are the smart ones who are up to date with the modern world and technology. I guess the people with the intelligence and knowledge, don't necessarily have the power to have a say in the matter. I guess that happens with the president too. The smart ones who can actually make a change don't get elected.

I could live there and work as an entertainer in prisson in Paraguay as long as I have at least 1mbps internet connection and good food and a stable power suply. That will be an upgrade from where I am staying

The drug lord allowed other inmates to rent it for $600/week. Not a bad deal, but the location isn't great.

That's a problem, letting the village elders decide on things. Young people are the smart ones who are up to date with the modern world and technology. I guess the people with the intelligence and knowledge, don't necessarily have the power to have a say in the matter. I guess that happens with the president too. The smart ones who can actually make a change don't get elected.

Exactly.

The idea that a younger person teaching an older person stufc is rude and dissrespectfull should go.

I was once ask by my boss if its okay with me that he will assign a manager that is much younger than me to supervise and train me.

I said sure I have no problem with a younger product trainer.

He told me that a few months ago an old employee in his 50s reacted negatively whe he was told the guy that would be supervising the team is just 25 years old.

This people should take a clue that certain non western traditions dont work very well in the modern industrialized world.

The fact is its westerners who have develop the modern ecconomy and technology and they have to accept that.

They should just deal with it.

Exactly.

The idea that a younger person teaching an older person stufc is rude and dissrespectfull should go.

I was once ask by my boss if its okay with me that he will assign a manager that is much younger than me to supervise and train me.

I said sure I have no problem with a younger product trainer.

He told me that a few months ago an old employee in his 50s reacted negatively whe he was told the guy that would be supervising the team is just 25 years old.

This people should take a clue that certain non western traditions dont work very well in the modern industrialized world.

The fact is its westerners who have develop the modern ecconomy and technology and they have to accept that.

They should just deal with it.

You should be president :p

That's what people on sherdog are saying. I don't think foreigners with money in the bank will have much to worry about though. I'm not working here or going to school or anything like that. .

If you don't mind me asking... If you aren't working or going to school what are you doing there? Are you a rich kid just chilling? If so, that's not a bad life.

I spent a month in the Philippines last year while backpacking through SE Asia. Beautiful country and beautiful women. Can't wait to go back eventually.

This is what you get for selling weed there, and it's hilarious most of the Philipinos I know look at their new dictator as the new Jesus. This guy is sick in the head and will end up in our history books next to Stalin and Pol Pot.

And non violent drug users.

Duterte is a real POS with his escalation of the "war on drugs". Calling for vigilantes to kill Users/Pushers is a real POS move
when it comes to drugs like meth...crack...heroin....I wish the u.s. goverment would do the same thing.

I cant stand addicts....and most crime is because of them.

I think this vigilante justice will back fire terribly and the Philippines will end up a lot worse.

Back