Do Narrow Grip Push ups, and Narrow Grip Bench press yield more benefits in punching?

Anyway, I gather Narrow Grip Benching/Pressing does indeed have (albeit, somewhat limited) carryover to increasing punching strength and endurance.

Sure, but I think the point is that so would regular bench press, the press, dips, and a variety of other exercises.

In my experience push-ups of any kind have carry-over in the form of shoulder endurance but not really power and I don't think the difference between normal, wide and narrow grip is significant. If anything, I can do more with a normal grip so to me it seems better to do 50 normal push-ups rather than 25 narrow grip if I'm aiming for endurance.

For narrow grip bench I would say that they would help in the sense that just getting stronger would help. Again, I don't think the difference between wide, normal or narrow grip would be significant.

Not as much as a benefit as doing squats or deads (you build most of your punching power in your core). And those don't build as much punching power as simply improving technique.

I can speak for the narrow bench press for grappling, in my experience its been a HUGE help in doing some things like pushing the guy away from you/ over you in any kind of guard, or doing some escapes. The thing is, in bjj you almost never push in angles, you always push with your elbows close to your body, its very natural and if you push in the same angle as a normal/wide bench press, the other guy would probably deflect the force via pressure in the arm from the side (my english is not good lol)

it's easier on the shoulder, but your shoulders and delts are usually the last things to wear down when you punch in high volume; your biceps and triceps come first.

rlly?

I can speak for the narrow bench press for grappling, in my experience its been a HUGE help in doing some things like pushing the guy away from you/ over you in any kind of guard, or doing some escapes. The thing is, in bjj you almost never push in angles, you always push with your elbows close to your body, its very natural and if you push in the same angle as a normal/wide bench press, the other guy would probably deflect the force via pressure in the arm from the side (my english is not good lol)

This makes a lot of sense...lots of mount and side control escapes involve placing one hand over the other to create a frame.

Anyway, I gather Narrow Grip Benching/Pressing does indeed have (albeit, somewhat limited) carryover to increasing punching strength and endurance.

Yes, I believe this is a good point. It has as much carryover as any other strength exercise.

There is a great clip from one of the WFAC (Rip's Gym) Coaches Roundtable where Wendler explains that for mma/bjj, lifting is just gpp. It is there to make you generally stronger. There is no spp (specialized physical preparation) that is done better with lifting (ex: benching) than with actual sport practice.

Narrow grip might be good for one fighter but not another. It depends on what's holding each of them back, e.g. one has weak triceps.

Not sure how simple push-ups are going to help explosiveness unless you're already weak. If it was plyo. push-ups, or another method focusing on explosiveness then it'd make sense. But you still need to consider what has already been mentioned, punching power comes from the rotation of the hips/core/shoulders and leg drive.

Ive trained with very good thai boxers and they used them. I'd try it and see if it helps your game.

Back