Do I understand this correctly?

If the officials (ref and doctor) know the arm is broken then the fight is stopped. Is this a made up scenario?

Sandwich:
an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with meat, cheese, or other filling between them, eaten as a light meal.

Since a hot dog bun is technically ONE piece of bread, unless it breaks, i believe it falls under a different jurisdiction.

Now if you accidentally make that mistake of tearing it in the middle, you now have a sandwich
Subway doesn't cut their bread completely through similar to the hotdog bun. Does that mean it's a lie for them to call them sandwiches?

Subway doesn't cut their bread completely through similar to the hotdog bun. Does that mean it's a lie for them to call them sandwiches?

Exactly my point, but you said it better. A thin membrane of connective bread does not change the category, in my view

So submission scoring is somewhat subjective and arbitrary?
For myself, when Oliveira broke Tony's arm... I score that similar to a KD.
When Dariush hyper extended Tony's Knee.... I score that similar to a near fight ending sequence.

But since Tony still used the arm and continued as normal... Would my scoring criteria be off?

In both of these fights one guy was on a clear place of dominance and the damage imposed was obvious. That was not the case yesterday.

I don’t agree. Burgers are too distinct a food item to be lumped together with sandwiches.

One aspect that distinguishes burgers from sandwiches is that burgers are only really suitable for near immediate consumption, whereas the whole concept of a true sandwich is portablility and longevity.

I mean, are we going to be calling shish taouks or shawarmas ‘sandwiches’ as well? Let’s not go crazy here.
A burger is the same thing as a chicken sandwich except with a hamburger patty instead of a fried or grilled chicken breast. Burgers are sandwiches.

There's a lot of variation in portability and longevity of sandwiches, like tuna sandwiches which are portable, but they tend to get soggy after a while. Hot sandwiches vs. cold sandwiches, etc.

TS is a salty Sandbaggin fan making a not so subtle angry thread regarding last nights result.

Cory lost. Deal with it.

Hypothetically, take a round where the standup has no advantage to either fighter.

Fighter A scores a takedown late in the round
Fighter B armbars fighter A , snaps the arm but fighter A doesn't tap and ends the round with a mangled, broken arm still on top.

Fighter A wins the round due to control?
This is crazy, but. . . . MMA is a very multi-faceted sport, so any match will have to be taken on a case-by-case basis. . . you know, to avoid blanket statements/rules.

A burger is the same thing as a chicken sandwich except with a hamburger patty instead of a fried or grilled chicken breast. Burgers are sandwiches.

There's a lot of variation in portability and longevity of sandwiches, like tuna sandwiches which are portable, but they tend to get soggy after a while. Hot sandwiches vs. cold sandwiches, etc.

A lot of you here are leaning on dictionary definitions, which are entirely inadequate. If one or two bits of bread like elements with whatever filling in-between is all that’s required to satisfy the definition of sandwich, then why does no one ever classify eggs benedict as an ‘open-faced sandwich’?

I think that part of what is confusing the issue is that In north america (and possibly in the UK, I don’t know) that white fluff you guys call ‘bread’ is essentially the same as a burger bun. In EU, ‘bread’ means proper textured bread and burger buns are something else entirely. So to me, a burger is even farther off from a sandwich. Ingredients matter, as I explained with the eggs benedict example (and there are many others I could get into but skipping for conciseness).

Hypothetically, take a round where the standup has no advantage to either fighter.

Fighter B armbars fighter A , snaps the arm but fighter A doesn't tap and ends the round with a mangled, broken arm still on top.

Well, I'd say he'd have to do an impersonation of a backpack to TRULY win the round, but yeah, that's the gist of it.

Sandwich:
an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with meat, cheese, or other filling between them, eaten as a light meal.

Since a hot dog bun is technically ONE piece of bread, unless it breaks, i believe it falls under a different jurisdiction.

Now if you accidentally make that mistake of tearing it in the middle, you now have a sandwich

I like where you're going with this.

So one piece of bread, the hot dog bun, differentiates it from being a sandwich. Interesting.

So a Gyro or taco, though sandwich like is not a sandwich. But hear me out, what if, and it's crazy talk I know, I put a tortilla on both sides of a hamburger patty. That is a hamburger patty with 2 unattached tortillas, one on either side.

What have we got then? What kind of monster have we created? I mean tortillas aren't bread, so where does that leave us?

A lot of you here are leaning on dictionary definitions, which are entirely inadequate. If one or two bits of bread like elements with whatever filling in-between is all that’s required to satisfy the definition of sandwich, then why does no one ever classify eggs benedict as an ‘open-faced sandwich’?

I think that part of what is confusing the issue is that In north america (and possibly in the UK, I don’t know) that white fluff you guys call ‘bread’ is essentially the same as a burger bun. In EU, ‘bread’ means proper textured bread and burger buns are something else entirely. So to me, a burger is even farther off from a sandwich. Ingredients matter, as I explained with the eggs benedict example (and there are many others I could get into but skipping for conciseness).

Good points, all.

In America, while a sandwich can be made with bland white bread, a good sandwich would be on some type of a roll or even a croissant. Or really good bread, something not in a precut loaf.

For instance when I order a sandwich from a good sandwich shop, the bread will be freshly made and I'll have a choice of whole grain, wheat, sourdough, things like that. In fact, the bread can be the best part of a good sandwich. It often differentiates a good sandwich from bad.

Reactions: CPH

Fighter B should win and in that scenario the fight might get stopped if it's clear the arm is broken.

I'm not seeing this reflected in the scorecards

Then you disagree with the judges about the gray area between broken arm and nothing.

For all we know, a judge last week might have thought TJ landed better shots and that why he got the round. Who knows.

I’m assume you’re relating this to the TJ/Sandhagen fight. TJ did a good job of hiding his the injury. Judges may not have even know he was injured, as the only reason we did was because the commentators heard the corner talking. And even if they knew he was hurt, judges wouldn’t be able to necessarily attribute that to Sandhagen’s attempt unless TJ told them that’s what did it.

Attempting and missing a sub is not that much better than missing a punch or kick.

Good points, all.

In America, while a sandwich can be made with bland white bread, a good sandwich would be on some type of a roll or even a croissant. Or really good bread, something not in a precut loaf.

For instance when I order a sandwich from a good sandwich shop, the bread will be freshly made and I'll have a choice of whole grain, wheat, sourdough, things like that. In fact, the bread can be the best part of a good sandwich. It often differentiates a good sandwich from bad.

100% I totally neglected this fact

OP kinda exaggerated his point with the arm bar breaking someone arm but he's on to something . Submission attempts don't play a large enough role on most judges score cards
Close submission attempts like the one Sandhagen had should be scored like a knock down or an opponent getting rocked. Some judges do seem to score them that way but it's not many and all of them should score them that way.

The first mistake you’re making is trying to understand the thought process of a MMA judge.

These people have no thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back