Do I need to workout any more?

Mike32110

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, until about 2 years ago I was the stereotypical gym rat that you guys all love to hate. I had huge muscles, no cardio, no fighting ability at all, and had my muscles inflated with tons of water (Creatine). I did a small steroid cycle once, and at my peak weighed 205ish, literally pure muscle (i'm 5'10-11). In the last 2 years I haven't worked out at all ( i still jog) and now weigh 170-180, and am very lean. I felt that even when I was 185-190 (pre steroids) I wasn't nearly as strong as I looked. ALL of my workouts were about getting bigger, not getting stronger.

So in the last few months I started training mma, and noticed I cut even more weight. I seem to gain muscle really easily, so avoided the gym altogether since i don't want to be in a high weight class, especially not being strong. I'm worried that after a few months at the gym I'll get back my big puffy useless muscles, and weigh like 185-190, but have the strength of a 170lber.

Do you guys think I should continue training mma w/o weights, and then eventually cut down so I fight at 155? Do you think I'd have "quality muscle" by doing it this way? Should I just use very specific workouts? What do you think?

Have you read the FAQ? It's new and improved.

It's hard to say, without knowing your athletic ability. I'm not saying that cocky either. Lighter weights are faster, so if you go 155, your going to need to spend time on speed, agility, and plyos. You might want to try circuits that incorporate all your muscle groups, with little rest in between your supersets. For example one set would look like this.
Bench press
Squats
Pull-ups
Military Press
Barbell Curl
Dips
Leg Raises

These exercises should be done with no rest between exercises, and a one minute rest between sets. Shoot for 15 reps per exercise.Do this for 4-5 sets, and then add 2 more sets of alternate exercises (ex: incline, leg curl, rows etc)based on the one exercise per muscle group, per set model.

These workouts should give you lean muscle instead of puffy muscle

TS, your question is a frequently asked one. The new FAQ's cover it.

Jumping into a lower weight class won't make you stronger. Strength training will.

Strength training will make you stronger. If you train for hypertrophy the way you did before & eat a surplus of calories you will get back those "big puffy useless muscles." Read the FAQ here and in D&S.

I am guessing you do not have experience in competitive wrestling, grappling or any striking art judging by the weight cutting question. You should be more concerned with conditioning your body to be successful at the sport or competition you are getting involved in, not strength training will make that impossible. You should discuss these things with your coaches/instructors anyways, since they have been working hands on with you they will have a better idea of what weight class you will fit into best. Why do so many states have the same weight class sturcture for pro/am MMA? I feel like NJ is one of the few to separate the two.

I guess I better put my two cents in about this also...
It's hard to say, without knowing how tan you are. I'm not saying that hetero either. Lighter weights are faster, so if you go 155, your going to need to spend time on bi's, hair removal, and lat raises. You might want to try circuits that incorporate all your muscle groups, with little rest in between your supersets. For example one set would look like this.
Shake Weight

Last edited:
Thoroughly read the FAQ, then read them once more.

Strength training with all else equal wont make you gain weight. Your weight gain happens in the kitchen not the weight room.

I was pure muscle once, it was horrible.

me too. no digestive system, no nervous system either. the worst part was having no bones though. just a big blob that rolled around everywhere. good thing I read the FAQ and managed to change all that.

Hey guys, until about 2 years ago I was the stereotypical gym rat that you guys all love to hate. I had huge muscles, no cardio, no fighting ability at all, and had my muscles inflated with tons of water (Creatine). I did a small steroid cycle once

I stopped reading here

me too. no digestive system, no nervous system either. the worst part was having no bones though. just a big blob that rolled around everywhere. good thing I read the FAQ and managed to change all that.

The only good part about it was the deep striations, I looked stunning.

If you just started training MMA a couple months ago, you should not worry about your weight. You are not going to be, or at least shouldn't be, competing for a long time.

Also, you probably feel really week compared to other people that you train with because you have no technique. An experienced grappler will be stronger on the mat than an inexperienced gym rat.

It's hard to say, without knowing your athletic ability. I'm not saying that cocky either. Lighter weights are faster, so if you go 155, your going to need to spend time on speed, agility, and plyos. You might want to try circuits that incorporate all your muscle groups, with little rest in between your supersets. For example one set would look like this.
Bench press
Squats
Pull-ups
Military Press
Barbell Curl
Dips
Leg Raises

These exercises should be done with no rest between exercises, and a one minute rest between sets. Shoot for 15 reps per exercise.Do this for 4-5 sets, and then add 2 more sets of alternate exercises (ex: incline, leg curl, rows etc)based on the one exercise per muscle group, per set model.

You need to read the FAQ too.

Bench press
Squats
Pull-ups
Military Press
Barbell Curl
Dips
Leg Raises

Whatever you do, don't listen to this guy.

Bench press
Squats
Pull-ups
Military Press
Barbell Curl
Dips
Leg Raises

lol@puffymuscle

I am guessing you do not have experience in competitive wrestling, grappling or any striking art judging by the weight cutting question. You should be more concerned with conditioning your body to be successful at the sport or competition you are getting involved in, not strength training will make that impossible. You should discuss these things with your coaches/instructors anyways, since they have been working hands on with you they will have a better idea of what weight class you will fit into best. Why do so many states have the same weight class sturcture for pro/am MMA? I feel like NJ is one of the few to separate the two.

That seems like a silly workout routine.

Try it before you knock, bro

That seems like a silly workout routine.

Try it before you knock, bro. It's a variation of Franklin's routine.

Try it before you knock, bro

Popped-Collars.jpg

Back