Do I need to refeed on a calories in/calories out diet?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Been reading up on so many different diets I think my brain's starting to merge them into a big mess.

I've settled on doing a calories in vs out diet, as that one seems to make the most sense to me. But on this type of diet do I need to do a refeed? I was thinking refeeds are only for boosting metabolism, but on a calorie counting diet aren't you pretty much saying F*&# metabolism, acquire deficit?

so is the refeed unnecessary?

Been reading up on so many different diets I think my brain's starting to merge them into a big mess.

I've settled on doing a calories in vs out diet, as that one seems to make the most sense to me. But on this type of diet do I need to do a refeed? I was thinking refeeds are only for boosting metabolism, but on a calorie counting diet aren't you pretty much saying F*&# metabolism, acquire deficit?

so is the refeed unnecessary?

The general que to refeed would be extreme hunger, weak/jittery, lightheadedness.
Most importantly would be to make sure you are getting enough protein if you are working out.
I find that a light snack usually curbs my appetite.
Snacking on carbs will trigger hunger. so try to eat other things also.

Hunger is a sign that you may be exceeding your caloric intake. Pay attention to the scale.

So when you say cal in cal out, are you referring to a IIFYM diet? You just worry about hitting your overall calorie and macro goal for the day and don't worry as much about which individual foods you choose, as long as you stay within your limits for the day.

What's usually recommended is that you first know your TDEE, which means how many calories for someone of your sex, age, height, weight and activity level will need to maintain your current body weight. Once you know that number, eat 500 calories less than that each day for the first couple of weeks and adjust as necessary. Doing it this way, you're looking at about a pound a week weight loss.

As far as I have read and know about refeeds, you need one depending on the amount of deficit you're running. The steeper the deficit your'e running, the more important refeeds become. Many people will bring their calories up to maintenance or even a slight surplus once a week as a 'refeed' day. But I guess the bottom line is that to my knowledge most will recommend some type of regular refeed if you're running a caloric deficit.

EDIT: I should also mention that refeeds are more important for people at lower levels of body fat. If you're just starting out or you're at a higher level of body fat, then some people would say that a refeed isn't necessary, at least not for a bit.

I've been trying to do a lot of reading lately too, I'm just about finished my first successful cut.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back