Do I have to get MUAY THAI shinguards?

JabAndSlide**

White Belt
Reaction score
when sparring muay thai, can I buy soccer or tae kwon do shinguards? I would think accidentally kicking someone in soccer would hurt just as much as muay thai. Soccer/TKD shinguards are 25-50 bucks while MT ones are 80.

Absolutely not, it's to protect your partner too, not just you.

no, buy MMA/MT shin guards. they are softer and better for training. you can get by with some 50-60 dollar pairs, but if you think you are going to stick with the sport then the higher quality and more expensive ones are going to be the better choice.

If you are on a budget, check Craigslist. You can find high quality, name brand shin guards for crack head prices from some bro who joined and realized getting punched in the face hurts after he spent all his money. Those and some Clorox wipes will save your pocket book.

And DON'T get anything you would see on a TKD/Karate supply store. Don't confuse point sparring shinguards (plastic dipped cheap foam that's as soft as a sponge) with real full contact worthy shins.

If you are on a budget, check Craigslist. You can find high quality, name brand shin guards for crack head prices from some bro who joined and realized getting punched in the face hurts after he spent all his money. Those and some Clorox wipes will save your pocket book.

And DON'T get anything you would see on a TKD/Karate supply store. Don't confuse point sparring shinguards (plastic dipped cheap foam that's as soft as a sponge) with real full contact worthy shins.

for real? Wow.

$30 fairtex shin guards at fightgear.com
It is the same company as ringside.

STAY away from karate and taekwondo shinguards. They are not meant to soften shin-to-shin contact.

for real? Wow.

Yeah. That's where I get most of gear, if hygiene permits. The Asic wrestling shoes I bout were nearly new for $10. This dad was a highschool wrestling coach and had an agreement with his kids that if they maintained certain grades, he'd buy them new wrestling shoes every season. Then he just sells the old ones.

Think of all the guys who watch MMA, go out and buy all the name brand gear and wail on a bag in their basement. Then they go to an actual gym, get the crap kicked out of em and give up. Happens all the time.

if you came up to me wearing football (soccer) shinpads and asked to spar i would laugh at you and walk away

If you like the sport don't cheap out on gear. Get good stuff. It's usually a bad idea to buy cheap gear when the purpose is to protect you and your training partners.

for real? Wow.

Half of my gym equipment and boxing gear is from craigslist. If you ever wants gym mats just search your local big city every day and within 6months you will find swain mats for <50$ each.

People with cheap gear piss me off, especially those wearing mma shinguards into a muay thai striking class. They should stop making mma shinguards as they don't stick on very well from what I've seen compared to beefy thai shinguards.

People with cheap gear piss me off, especially those wearing mma shinguards into a muay thai striking class. They should stop making mma shinguards as they don't stick on very well from what I've seen compared to beefy thai shinguards.

I didn't know that lol, I was actually thinking about getting MMA shin guards cuz they were so cheap and reviews were decent. You sure this applies to all MMA shin guards?

Half of my gym equipment and boxing gear is from craigslist. If you ever wants gym mats just search your local big city every day and within 6months you will find swain mats for <50$ each.

Yeah the trick with Craigslist is just watching frequently and low balling (but not to the point that you're being a dick).

Are you kidding me with this dude. Dont be that asshole ripping kicks in soccer guards. Forgo a night of drinking/buy a g instead of a slice.

Never knew there was actually such a thing as "MMA Shinguards."

Is it just less padded since in MMA, there are less leg kicks?

It indeed should be a padding difference. These return on shopping results for MMA Shin Guard

hayabusa-shin-guards.jpg

These return on Muay Thai Shin Guards.

TW-N-001-K-front.jpg

MMA shin guards would need to be a bit thinner to allow for mixed sparring with grappling. Big, beefy gloves and shins make it harder and they get in the way more.

The padding is thinner and denser on MMA shin-guards making the impulse much smaller.

Back