Do great players like Brady and Jordan really outwork everyone else?

kintana

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just from a physical point of view.

During this COVID time, I got to spend some time with professional athletes in Spain for basketball and first league Spanish professional players in football (soccer). No Messi though.

And honestly, all these dudes work super hard. All the professional players in football (soccer) trained 6 hours a day at least. 3 of them were getting up at 5 am just do skill drills.

And this leads me to wonder does a guy like Brady or Jordan really do more than 6 hours a day of physical work. We always see people on TV saying Jordan just outworked everyone. Or Brady prepares more than anyone.

But I don't know these guys made me wonder are people really working harder than the average all-star player. Or are they doing something different or is it really a talent thing that brings someone to greatness?

I mean Brady physically is no specimen but he is just great. Does he really work harder than everyone else or does he just work better if you will?

Those two legends are very strong mentally and meaning there very smart players as well as very tough. There like in the zone when they're playing at their best. Almost unstoppable.

I think it's a combination of god given talent and hard work that makes Michael and Tom as great as they are.

The chatter always was that Brady was the first one at practice and the last to leave.

honestly, ive never really heard any crazy stories of jordans work ethic. He was known for smoking cigars and staying out late gambling. Members of the original 1992 dream team openly commented that they didnt know when he ever got sleep becuase he was out living it up so much. To this day hes often seen drinking and smoking and still looks to be in great shape for his age. But damn he was a killer on the court with a will to win second to none once it was game time.

honestly, ive never really heard any crazy stories of jordans work ethic. He was known for smoking cigars and staying out late gambling. Members of the original 1992 dream team openly commented that they didnt know when he ever got sleep becuase he was out living it up so much. To this day hes often seen drinking and smoking and still looks to be in great shape for his age. But damn he was a killer on the court with a will to win second to none once it was game time.

Maybe his talent was really what made him the GOAT and his mentality. I heard Kobe had the hardest work ethic in the NBA but Jordan is still considered better.

My experience this summer really made me raise some eyebrows when I hear the story of pro athletes outworking the rest. Like they say "Hard Work beats talent when talent does not work hard"

But damn must be nice to have talent.

real lunch pale kind of guy, scrappy, real overachiever, highly intelligent player who works all the angles, his unheralded workmanlike attitude allows him to be relentless in and out of the film room. A real grinder.
I think Brady in the film room really made the difference.

But physically I think most all-star QBs work equally as hard. Or maybe they all just have great marketing and social media advisors that make it seems like they are all working hard.

Maybe it is like David Goggins says "be uncommon against uncommon men".

Did the soccer players you observed also practice like it was the last game of the playoffs every single day?

Jordan is famously known for being a dick in practice. He harassed and treated his teammates and opponents like shit in practice because he wanted everyone to experience the worst there so playing in the game was easier.

His training was also very advanced for his era. His trainer built a menu that changed over the years.

Every basketball experts will also tell you that Jordan was simply one of the most fundamentally sound players. He generally never wasted movements and was clinical in his approach to the game.

Training x number of hours isn't the same if the focus and preparation for it isn't on the same level.

Did the soccer players you observed also practice like it was the last game of the playoffs every single day?

Jordan is famously known for being a dick in practice. He harassed and treated his teammates and opponents like shit in practice because he wanted everyone to experience the worst there so playing in the game was easier.

His training was also very advanced for his era. His trainer built a menu that changed over the years.

Every basketball experts will also tell you that Jordan was simply one of the most fundamentally sound players. He generally never wasted movements and was clinical in his approach to the game.

Training x number of hours isn't the same if the focus and preparation for it isn't on the same level.

Maybe it is the quality of training as you say. And the mental approach.

I am realizing more and more that hours do not equal success. Quality training is more important than the number of hours.

Last edited:
No, they don't

Brady was carried by special teams and elite defenses

Jordan was carried by an elite surrounding cast
Agreed. There was a lot of luck and circumstances that led to thier title successes.

I think both players are naturally gifted but I don’t think we can discount the coaches at various level that pulled these men into unknown territory. And enabled them to develop further.

Rex Grossman > Brady

When did you see Brady make panties drop with a long ball? What I thought.

Rex Grossman > Brady

When did you see Brady make panties drop with a long ball? What I thought.
maxresdefault.jpg

In MMA, the fighters that always do hard sparring never end up being the best. It's the hardest part of the job, but its actually harder for most of these guys to chill out and do dumb shit like playing touchbutt in the park or dressing up in your pajamas to go to some lame jiu jitsu class.

I think its the same thing in other sports.

Corny shit like this...
real lunch pale kind of guy, scrappy, real overachiever, highly intelligent player who works all the angles, his unheralded workmanlike attitude allows him to be relentless in and out of the film room. A real grinder.
giphy.gif

Ends up being a lot more important than being able to throw a football out of the stadium.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back