Do foreign fighters on the lower tiers and B leagues get a huge advantage from universal healthcare?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm imagining a guy $5K a fight in a different org tears his ACL. The foreign fighter simply gets it fixed for free. The American fighter probably just tries to ignore it. Or with lesser injuries like a broken arm. The American guy will simply train through it and hope it heels right. Then it doesn't and the rest of his career is effected. Or he does get the surgery and now he can't afford coaches, and so he has to go into his next few fights without coaching. Or maybe start skipping meals, or move onto someone's couch?

I've heard that UFC fighters get some kind of health insurance. So maybe this only applies to the guys in the B leagues trying to make it to the UFC.

Do guys on the lower tiers and especially the B leagues get a huge benefit from their universal healthcare programs? Does it really hurt American athletes?

Yes the poverty stricken, 3rd world North Americans are at a heavy disadvantage compared to the Brazilians, Polish etc

I think a lot of these low tier fighters still work full time in America so they should have insurance.

idk what the ufcs stance on health issues is. I know sometimes they help and other times they don’t

Yes the poverty stricken, 3rd world North Americans are at a heavy disadvantage compared to the Brazilians, Polish etc
$5-$10K a fight is good money in Brazil and Poland.

No. American fighters get a huge advantage by fighting, training and living at home whilst Europeans, Asians and South Americans have to adapt to an entirely new continent and culture to fight.

I think a lot of these low tier fighters still work full time in America so they should have insurance.

idk what the ufcs stance on health issues is. I know sometimes they help and other times they don’t
Many of them aren't educated enough to work jobs that provide health insurance. Even if they do, they're likely getting catastrophic and still have to pay the first $7,000 of any medical treatment, which on $5K a fight, with half going to taxes and a bit more to your coaching staff, should wipe out your savings and then some.

Many of them aren't educated enough to work jobs that provide health insurance. Even if they do, they're likely getting catastrophic and still have to pay the first $7,000 of any medical treatment, which on $5K a fight, with half going to taxes and a bit more to your coaching staff, should wipe out your savings and then some.
No one said it was easy boss.

In the UK with current NHS waiting lists you'd probably have to get it done privately anyway. If it's a non urgent surgery, then you can be on a waiting list for months.

Yes, they have the advantage every 3 years after the wait time and consequential recovery for each surgery.

It seems like if you can pay the exorbitant fees, US medicine is preferable for a pro fighter who needs a fast date and the most cutting edge techniques. As a fighter, every day you aren't fighting or training you are bleeding cash as your expenses don't stop. It might be worth the upfront cost if it shortens the turnaround and you can make more money again sooner.

Interesting question, actually. I don't think it's a huge advantage, but in terms of going broke from an injury, yeah, that's probably way more likely in the US.

Its not free, and in big parts of the word if you depend on universal healthcare you're pretty much fucked

The very poor in America actually get Medicaid which is subsidized to the point where it is verryyyyy inexpensive. I had a bad investment last year that ruined my yearly earnings and my insurance is barely above $100/mo, where it’s usually just under $600. Also, those with no insurance leagally can not be denied care at an emergency room whether they can pay for it or not, it will fuck up your credit not paying, but you will get treatment. A half retired electrician I know pays $5 a month for obamacare too, all he has to do is keep his earnings under $60k a year, but it’s basically only catastrophic coverage, where mine actually has really good coverage. There’s actually more safety nets in America than are portrayed.

this

Very easy to wake up with a KFC bone in side of you instead of regular bone
Its amazing
this

Very easy to wake up with a KFC bone inside of you instead of regular bone
Its amazing the idea that americans have of universal health care lol its so utopical that is funny, universal health care usually sucks and if you depend on it you will for sure die. And by the way many of the health problems the average american has is because they're fat fucks

Magomedsultan Magomedsultanov on his training, evolution and healthcare

The United States health system is very expensive and out of control. I'm sure a guy like Stipe doesn't need the fighterfighter gig, but I'm sure he wouldn't want to leave his health coverage.

I've had a couple friends who had insurance get sick and have to start a gofundme due to costs that weren't covered and high premiums. It's disgusting.

Its amazing

Its amazing the idea that americans have of universal health care lol its so utopical that is funny, universal health care usually sucks and if you depend on it you will for sure die. And by the way many of the health problems the average american has is because they're fat fucks

Strong username to kfc bone surgery probability ratio

American healthcare horror stories harken back to a bygone era, thanks to the internet.

unnamed.png

Back