Do fighters wear contacts?

josp1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
If a fighter requires corrective lenses - are they typically wearing contact lenses or going without? Perhaps most of them get lasik.

I know when I wear contacts if I rub my eye too hard the contact may come off my eyeball and go up inside my eyelid so it seems like that may be impractical for combat sports.

I would think going without and having worse vision wouldn't be very practical either.

So sherbros what is it, contacts, lasik, or blind!

If yes, do they wear titanium contact lenses when fighting Jon Jones?

Some fighters have... they've also been knocked out in fights.

Someone posted here once that they got punched so hard, it knocked their contact to the back of their eye

Yeah - they make athletic contact lenses that re-position themselves after heavy trauma to the head.

I wear them when sparring I know. You lose too much depth perception when things are fuzzy.

Here is Travis adjusting Werdum's contacts

BEST-fb-template-89.jpg

I'd sleep with them on the night before so they won't fall out so easily. Nice and dry.

Soft contact lenses are so comfortable to wear. I know when I played football I'd wear UV protected contacts. They had a special tint and it was better than wearing sunglasses. Which weren't allowed. I could see someone fighting with contacts. But they will fall out if hit really hard. Happened when I was sparring. Hit hard on the nose, eyes watered and both contacts fell to the floor. Just get lasik. You can get lasik these days for 1000 dollars an eye.

Some do im sure, not like u have the option to wear glasses. If the contact pops out ur not like u are any worse off than if u started the fight blind

Soft contact lenses are so comfortable to wear. I know when I played football I'd wear UV protected contacts. They had a special tint and it was better than wearing sunglasses. Which weren't allowed. I could see someone fighting with contacts. But they will fall out if hit really hard. Happened when I was sparring. Hit hard on the nose, eyes watered and both contacts fell to the floor. Just get lasik. You can get lasik these days for 1000 dollars an eye.

So if you get punched in the eye while wearing lenses the worst thing that can happen is them falling out? I wear lenses most of the time but never while sparring because I always thought it would be dangerous somehow..

I worn contacts since I was 15 and glasses since I was 6 (I'm 29 now) and I will never let anyone play with scalpels or lazers around me eye.

It getting cheaper and cheaper to me means there's a lot of guys that got C's in medical school offering it now.

I worn contacts since I was 15 and glasses since I was 6 (I'm 29 now) and I will never let anyone play with scalpels or lazers around me eye.

It getting cheaper and cheaper to me means there's a lot of guys that got C's in medical school offering it now.

Ya if I ever decide to get lasik I won't go looking for the lowest bidder

So if you get punched in the eye while wearing lenses the worst thing that can happen is them falling out? I wear lenses most of the time but never while sparring because I always thought it would be dangerous somehow..
Yep. That's it. They're thin soft pieces of film. What kind of damage can they really do? I would say anything that gets your eyes watery will make them pop right out. Getting punched in the eye can make them watery. But light sparring is supposed to be light and it shouldn't be an issue.

Yep. That's it. They're thin soft pieces of film. What kind of damage can they really do? I would say anything that gets your eyes watery will make them pop right out. Getting punched in the eye can make them watery. But light sparring is supposed to be light and it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah I probably have to much fantasy when it comes to things like that. I thought it could get pushed into my eyes or something but as you said its just a soft piece without sharp edges or anything like that. Always wanted to ask my eyedoc about it but never went there since I got the lenses some weeks ago. Good to know, thanks.

Back