Do feel sorry for people with massive school loans that complain they can’t pay it back?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Sakuraba is #1, Aug 13, 2019 at 9:22 AM.

1. Hitman81

Hitman81 Silver Belt

Nope. I hate that colleges are so expensive but they made that choice to go.

2. Jack Stevonovich

Jack Stevonovich Black Belt

you're a dude now !?

3. Lubaolong

Lubaolong A natural consequence of gamma radiation

I’ve seen a few people scam their way to loan forgiveness by faking a mental illness, getting on disability, then requesting loan forgiveness. Surprised more people aren’t trying to work this angle.

4. Holic

Holic Yeah! More Sponduli!

Yeah I found that out years later. I was grotesquely uninformed of everything in my college years. I walked into my dorm the first year like "why does everyone have whiteboards and flip flops? what's so special about dave matthews and phish?"

Lubaolong likes this.
  5. Cygnus A

Cygnus A Brown Belt

So you are blaming 18 yr olds for not being able to thing logically? The university system is setup to prey on teens and their families.

6. Fluffernutter

Fluffernutter Red Belt

So much truth in this.

I worked at a school that really prided itself with the fact that all of our graduates had to go to college. The reality was that the councilors made the kids apply to college and well...there is a college for every kid. So, everyone got in.

We had one kid that was adamant about not being ready for college and he said he wanted to go to the military first. But, the school councilors really pushed back. They wanted to be able to tell the parents that we got "100% graduates into college". I really didn't like how it was handled.

Sure, we had 100% of the graduating class that got into college. I have no idea what the percentage was that graduated from college.

I lucked out. The first school I taught at was a boarding school. Therefore, I had no expenses. My housing and meals were provided, Heck, I used the school's gym and even the furniture provided.

I spent very little money on myself for my first five years out of college. All my money went to pay off my student loans.

BearGrounds likes this.
  7. Goonerview

Goonerview Gold Belt

Lmao, FATALITY!

Mcountry likes this.
  8. POWER2

POWER2 Say it to me in GIFs.

You sound super bitter.

SIRGAY HARITONOB! likes this.
  9. Goonerview

Goonerview Gold Belt

I think parents should do more to guide their children in their teens. I’m white and my parents were very “laissez faire” with me. Don’t remember receiving much guidance for the adult world.

Luckily, I had my head screwed on somewhat and made some good decisions. Sometimes wish my parents had been a little bit more “Asian”-minded, they generally seem to give more of a shit when guiding their children properly for adulthood.

I just that know when I get older, if I have kids, I will be passing on some freakin’ wisdom!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 9:54 PM
    Mcountry likes this.
  10. therealdope

therealdope Titanium Belt

That may be true, but has nothing to do with my post. I was responding to another poster's comment about fairness for the poor.

11. therealdope

Welcome to the US, warts and all.

12. Slick_36

Slick_36 Bad Man from Borger, Texas

Isn't the patriotic thing to do is try to alleviate those warts? A country that doesn't grow, stagnates and falls behind.

SIRGAY HARITONOB! likes this.
  13. therealdope

I don't think so. Isn't part of what makes America the country that it is, the focus on individual responsibility?

Cancelling a debt is like the financial bailouts, it creates a moral hazard.

14. MescalineDreams

MescalineDreams Gold Belt

Look into it bro

15. Simian Raticus

Simian Raticus GOAT in the North

I think a lot of people make that decision at an age when they don't know shit, and are informed by what the adults around them are telling them they should do, so I do have some sympathy.

I finished with a debt that was manageable, and a degree that gave me some okay prospects, but that's more dumb luck than anything.

Tbh, I think people should go to university to become educated, not to train for a job. If I had to do it again I'd probably just study what I wanted to know about and do some work specific training after that.

It just shouldn't even be possible to rack up 100k debt for a fucking degree.

16. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

My books and fees OFTEN outweighed the cost of tuition...granted I went to a state school so tuition wasn't too bad. I think it was around $3500 per semester for ~12 credit hours (considered full time). I was an engineering student so the lab fees were brutal, and the fucking books were all $200-300 per book. It got even worse because the school decided that engineering students were usually on scholarships, so they kept raising the fees on us every year to subsidize the fucking Art department.

But you are correct...cost of education has increased so much that young kids are really kind of fucked. Being saddled with $30K is tough but not impossible, but being saddled with $80K is terrifying. It's like having a mortgage hanging over your head but having no house in which to live.

youngsteinel and therealdope like this.
  17. Plissken

Plissken Gold Belt

Some sympathy if they tried to get education for legit useful to society fields or have actual talent and tried to make use of it, but it'd have to be compounded by unfortunate circumstances that would lead to their finances not being in order like they had planned, and also possibly the students and their families being unfortunately ignorant or shystered by those offering the loans. So taking out a massive student loan in and of itself would not make me sympathetic, there would have to be multiple qualifiers for sympathy status. I can't feel sympathetic for someone taking out a huge student load for gender studies or some shit.

18. therealdope

The scam to get grants, rather than loans, when I was an ugrad was for kids of wealthy people to claim that they were romo and that their parents disowned them. Apparently, worked with high consistency.

19. therealdope

80k?

20+ yrs ago when I was looking at med schools I got a print out from Duke that said my loans would add up to $350k. THat included school, internship/clinical clerk, residency/specialization and a fellowship IIRC.

20. ThulsaDooom

ThulsaDooom Brown Belt

Be careful op, you have some of corporate America's jizz on your chin. You really should wipe that off.

I don't feel sorry for them but if you can't see how absolutely fucked America is on so many fundamental levels (no 21 or 22 year old should be expected to take on a stupid amount of debt ffs), you're a goddamn moron.

Billions and billions spent on useless wars and given to other countries to continue their campaigns of genocide yet we can't take care or lift up our own. At least with other corrupt governments, they're honest about it. The US government is a goddamn joke.