Do European and Asian countries have problems with staph/ringworm?

never seen or heard something about staph or ringworm in german gyms

For some reason mats are rarely if ever cleaned at our gym. Noone's ever had any trouble with staph or ringworm as far as I know.

I meant how common it is.

Just as common as everywhere else, its all about the hygine. We washed the mats after every class, everyday. And it was not common, but did occur at a couple of occations. You can clean the equipment all you want, but if one guy gets it and doesn`t notice/care and still shows up, he will spread it. So personal hygine + gym hygine = gold.

Antibiotic overuse is a huge problem in the US but ringworm is a fungus not a bacteria and it's prevalence isn't likely to be related to antibiotic use.

Use of antibiotics kill off not only the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria your body needs to fight off fungal infections. That's the link between antibiotic use and fungal infection.

Im the guy in my school that calls out guys who have smelly gi's (when I actually take gi classes) or point out if they have shit growing out their skins. My goals is to embarass them and make them feel like shit!! But I dont care, if they werent taught to only wear clean clothes when they were kids then tough shit!

Its absolutely FOUL and completely RUDE to wear a dirty gi, not shower, smell like cigarettes, or have any other hygeine problem when u show up to BJJ.....so I feel no shame about saying something to them in front of the whole class.

A friend of mine got a major case of staph after training at Paraestra in Tokyo.

Use of antibiotics kill off not only the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria your body needs to fight off fungal infections. That's the link between antibiotic use and fungal infection.

That's certainly true of things like vaginal and oral candidiasis so I do understand where you're coming from. However, I have encountered nothing in medical literature, lecture, or textbook demonstrating a link between antibiotic use and an increased risk of ringworm infection.

But I suppose it is theoretically possible.

I train in 3/ 4 different places here in the Netherlands and i've never seen anyone clean mats.

Every time i asked about it after getting paranoid ,( after reading staph topics on sherdog) no one knows if the mats are cleaned.

And i've only heard about one person who got staph but it was in brazil...

I trained in Korea for a couple years and I never heard of or saw anyone getting staph or ringworm. But we also did 100% gi training so I that cuts down on the skin contact.

Athlete's foot was a problem in Korea though, most of the guys I trained with had some nasty ass foot fungus. I must be immune to Korean foot fungus though because my feet stayed healthy.

I trained in Korea for a couple years and I never heard of or saw anyone getting staph or ringworm. But we also did 100% gi training so I that cuts down on the skin contact.

Athlete's foot was a problem in Korea though, most of the guys I trained with had some nasty ass foot fungus. I must be immune to Korean foot fungus though because my feet stayed healthy.

Which leads to another question--why didn't redaxe get it on his face? My face ends up on the floor quite a bit when grappling whether i'm transitioning from turtle and my forehead is there or my cheek scrapes...but I've never seen people with nasty stuff on their face like ringworm or whatever.

Maybe someone can explain?

Which leads to another question--why didn't redaxe get it on his face? My face ends up on the floor quite a bit when grappling whether i'm transitioning from turtle and my forehead is there or my cheek scrapes...but I've never seen people with nasty stuff on their face like ringworm or whatever.

I don't know, because my immune system was doing its job properly? If I didn't get athlete's foot on my feet, why would I get it on my face?

I also don't spend a lot of time face-down on the mat like you do. But actually I think I have seen a guy with ringworm on his face, it looked terrible, it was like red flaky patches in his beard. It might have just be eczema or something though.

Last edited:
I've been training in BJJ for over a year and have done Judo for the last 11 years and have never even heard of a case of ringworm. In Brazil it isn't that common. The thing is we probably have a different strand of staph which is much weaker and easier to treat. It may be hot but somehow we are safe.

I also don't spend a lot of time face-down on the mat like you do. But actually I think I have seen a guy with ringworm on his face, it looked terrible, it was like red flaky patches in his beard. It might have just be eczema or something though.

I've had ringworm on my face... my temple to be exact. Try explaining that one at work...

I've had ringworm on my face with a feliculitis infection in the exact same spot. I named it "Edward"

also I would think gi training cuts down on transmission rates significantly

i've heard that the sun kills ringworm pretty good. maybe that has something to do with why there's so little of it in brazil.

Just as common as everywhere else, its all about the hygine. We washed the mats after every class, everyday. And it was not common, but did occur at a couple of occations. You can clean the equipment all you want, but if one guy gets it and doesn`t notice/care and still shows up, he will spread it. So personal hygine + gym hygine = gold.

Yeah same in the US. But some of these guys dont wash their gis or the gym mats. I'm wondering how that works?

I got ringworm 3 different times over the course of 6 months training muay Thai in Thailand. The combination of the Bangkok heat and the fact that you're constantly sweating during training make it the perfect breeding ground for fungus, especially while clinching with other sweaty guys. I made a conscious effort to rush to the shower right after training and always scrubbed twice but I still ended up getting it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back