Do European and Asian countries have problems with staph/ringworm?

Kenny from MD

Less angry than before.
@Brown
Reaction score
In America obviously it is an issue. In Brazil it is not. We train with dirty gis everyday and the mats are rarely, if ever cleaned. No big deal. I know England can give you mat AIDs, because I got Staph from a dirty ass gym in Newcastle once. What about other places with solid jiu jitsu schools, such as Sweden, Poland, Greece, or Japan? I just got curious and hadn

it happens rarely in australia... we still follow pretty strict hygiene procedures though

I had ringworm once, I went to training while taking antibiotics and it helps forming ringworm. The following week I had two huge ringworm thingy on my body. a few weekslater I saw a training partner who hadn't come in months, and that because he had staph.

We get it in Europe, trust me.

It's not nearly as common in Europe as it is in the U.S. probably due to much more responsible use of antibiotics.

It's not nearly as common in Europe as it is in the U.S. probably due to much more responsible use of antibiotics.

You are correct that different countries have different rates of MSRA compared to regular Staph. More modern countries tend to have bigger problems do to excessive use of antibiotics. However, I am pretty staph (while not necessarily MSRA) is a problem in almost every country. There is probably more fluctuation between gym to gym then country to country based on each schools hygienic practices.

I've been training in Kunming for a few months, and haven't seen or heard of it here. Not sure what it's like in other parts of the country. I'd be curious if ShanghaiBJJ has ever seen it, or Hautamaki.

You are correct that different countries have different rates of MSRA compared to regular Staph. More modern countries tend to have bigger problems do to excessive use of antibiotics. However, I am pretty staph (while not necessarily MSRA) is a problem in almost every country. There is probably more fluctuation between gym to gym then country to country based on each schools hygienic practices.

Bingo. We don't really get MRSA outside of hospitals, but regular staph is pretty ubiquitous, and we have to battle the same skin infections as everyone else. Good hygiene goes a long way, though - as does training in a gi.

In Japan, my Highschool Judo team had a massive outbreak of Ringworm. They really don't understand that the person with ringworm needs to not roll. Also a lot of the karate gys had warts from hitting the bags bareknuckled after others with warts did the same. I still haven't done Judo here, as I don't feel safe doing it.

Antibiotic overuse is a huge problem in the US but ringworm is a fungus not a bacteria and it's prevalence isn't likely to be related to antibiotic use.

wrote this in another thread

You all must be a bunch of dirty mofos

I have been into grappling for over 5 years,
judo first at two clubs, one is a small local one, mostly kids. washing the mats was not a regular thing, not even once a month I would reckon, we did sweep the mat before each practise because flies keeps dropping down thru the ceilingventilation

Other club: wasn't there regularly but no washing immidiatly before or after at least, I know we washed the wrestling mat before a big camp but wrestlers are dirty mofos

BJJ and judo at my new club: this is in a bigger location a sports complex and they do have a cleaning staff but never seen them do the mats, we certainly don

wrote this in another thread

You all must be a bunch of dirty mofos

I have been into grappling for over 5 years,
judo first at two clubs, one is a small local one, mostly kids. washing the mats was not a regular thing, not even once a month I would reckon, we did sweep the mat before each practise because flies keeps dropping down thru the ceilingventilation

Other club: wasn't there regularly but no washing immidiatly before or after at least, I know we washed the wrestling mat before a big camp but wrestlers are dirty mofos

BJJ and judo at my new club: this is in a bigger location a sports complex and they do have a cleaning staff but never seen them do the mats, we certainly don

Antibiotic overuse is a huge problem in the US but ringworm is a fungus not a bacteria and it's prevalence isn't likely to be related to antibiotic use.

Actually, it could be because when you're taking antibiotics you are curing bacterial infections, but are more susceptible to fungal infections. (especially when using penicillin based antibiotics)

Ringworm is a fungus, I wonder if the clime helps you guys out?

but the OP said it was not a problem in Brazil, warm and moist should be a prime breeding ground no?

Ringworm is a fungus, I wonder if the clime helps you guys out?

and Militech camp has had a few of the nastiest outbreaks and Iowa is probably much like Sweden in climate,

but the OP said it was not a problem in Brazil, warm and moist should be a prime breeding ground no?

But down there there might be enough other stuff to make it hard for ringworm to compete. I dunno maybe the extremes is where ringworm does poorly?

and Militech camp has had a few of the nastiest outbreaks and Iowa is probably much like Sweden in climate,

Dude, who knows. They have a lot of ringworm here in Japan, and the summers are awful, and so are the winters. Who knows, it may all be random?

Well ive been into the problem in Sweden, Gothernburg. Probably dirty gi's as they clean the floor after every training. The matts are made of sillicon aswell which should protect from getting staph infections.

After a while people started to get this infections and i got it aswell after rolling with a guy.

I trained BJJ in Spain for a year and now I train in Germany for 3 years.

Neither me nor others had problems with staph or any other kind of skin infection.

The mats were cleaned everyday a couple of times and I don't think that there was anyone who trained with a unwashed gi.

Back