do coaches tailor styles to diff students

I definitely tailor to my students...some to s greater and some to a lesser degree.

Beginners get the same foundations, but as they grow and evolve, they will develop preferences, etc. I will see how they flow, what they gravitate towards, etc.

I would say that this process really takes hold with the guys who are out there competing, less so with the recreational guys. Tailoring training is time consuming, so it is really focused more on the guys who need it most. Everyone gets it to some degree, but there is more effort in regards to the guys stepping into the cage, ring, or mat.

We were juat talking about this after a recent competition. I commented to my team on how I loved and appreciated that all the guys from our team looked and grappled completely differently, had different approaches, strategies, etc. No assumptions could be made about us based on the school alone. I think any coach who make carbon copies of himself has a serious flaw and does a dis-service to his students (which many do consciously or unconsciously).

But, and maybe this is off topic a bit, at the grappling tournies, it is the guy who is the variant who sticks out. And that seems rare to me. It seems many folks have very similar "textbook" strategies. This certainly diminishes as the experience levels get higher though.

My teacher helps doesnt really "tailor" everyone in my class. In general he says that he will teach us what we need to do and then the students them selves will develope it into their own.

How ever for some of the more serioues kids in my class that are on the competition team he does "tailor" them when they ask for it.

Back