Do Cardio, keep your Gainz

And speaking of questions: Tosa, regarding the methods used for HIIT, are some more efficient than others? You mentioned being conservative with HIIT, especially if one does not have a decent level of conditioning at the start. Does that mean something like HIIT on a Stationary Bike would be a better option than Hill Sprints? The Bikes at my Gym, for example, have programmed Interval Training sessions, where one works at high intensity for 2 minutes, then "rests" for 3 at a lower intensity. These definitely feel easier to me than Hill Sprints or even Incline Sprints on the Treadmill.

If it's an intensity you can work at for 2 minutes, then it's going to be a lower intensity than hills sprints, or treadmill sprints, so even if it's a longer duration, it will probably feel easier.

Conservative with regards to work times, recovery times, and how many work periods. Intensity could be very high or maximal. Both cycling or hill sprints are good, unless there is some kind of contraindication. Although, depending on the goal, a particular modality might be preferable - for example, this being an MMA forum, a fighter would want to do at least some HIIT work that involved the upper body.

The best Posts on F13 this year. By orders of magnitude. They should be added to the FAQ's. :cool:

And speaking of questions: Tosa, regarding the methods used for HIIT, are some more efficient than others? You mentioned being conservative with HIIT, especially if one does not have a decent level of conditioning at the start. Does that mean something like HIIT on a Stationary Bike would be a better option than Hill Sprints? The Bikes at my Gym, for example, have programmed Interval Training sessions, where one works at high intensity for 2 minutes, then "rests" for 3 at a lower intensity. These definitely feel easier to me than Hill Sprints or even Incline Sprints on the Treadmill.

It feels easier because it's at a lower intensity.

As an example, walking feels easier than jogging because it's at a much lower intensity and therefore less strenuous.

If it's an intensity you can work at for 2 minutes, then it's going to be a lower intensity than hills sprints, or treadmill sprints, so even if it's a longer duration, it will probably feel easier.

Conservative with regards to work times, recovery times, and how many work periods. Intensity could be very high or maximal. Both cycling or hill sprints are good, unless there is some kind of contraindication. Although, depending on the goal, a particular modality might be preferable - for example, this being an MMA forum, a fighter would want to do at least some HIIT work that involved the upper body.

It feels easier because it's at a lower intensity.

As an example, walking feels easier than jogging because it's at a much lower intensity and therefore less strenuous.

Excellent posts, gentlemen. Thank you.

I think the most interesting part of the article was the fact it was on T-Nation and didn't contain a single supplement plug.

just skip anything TC writes and the last paragraph of most articles and you'll be gtg.

Here is my take: people could only go on so long parrot monkeying the "cardio makes you skinny fat" before enough people look at all the jacked an yoked dudes standing around them who do cardio to realize HIIT was incredibly over played. Don't worry give it a few years and we'll be doing this all over again.

I like the fact T-nation finally had a pro cardio, running, view point.

Gotta put Tosa's post in the stickies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back