Do boxing fans also prefer watching heavyweights?

A ton of boxers that are born with naturally-gifted KO power tend to decline technically, because they rely on their power too much. It's happening with Golovkin right now

Careful now bud, his fans have some of that shogun nuthuggery in them and might jump you for speaking logic...

Some heavyweights yes....

I might be in the minority here...but I really enjoy Wladimir Klitchko's excellent execution of almost all of his opponents...

with the exception of that terrible, god awful Potvetkin fight, Klitchko almost always delivers...

He's a brilliant tactician in the ring, exploits his opponent's weaknessess and exercises his strengths.

As for the TS's question...

the most exciting fights of last year were all lighter weight classes.

Matty vs Molina

Gamboa vs Crawford.

Salido vs that Thai dude.

I like weight classes.
I can't see why anyone (Boxing fan) does not adore the HW division. It is what "allows" us to view faster, more talented technicians in the ring.

Without the weight classes, you would not have this luxury.

As much as it is "cool" to bust on HW's if there were no WC's all that you would see is "plodders" after a handful of months when the big lummoxes kill, maim or force the smaller fighters into retirement.

Don't even Fing act like Wladamir would not obliterate any and every Boxer in any weightclass in the ring at this time.

Zero respect for fighters that would flat out put the quicker guys to sleep is rather P-envy IMO. Just be thankful that the likes of Mayweather or Pacman don't have to face the likes of any HW Boxer getting heavily busted on in this thread.

I love heavyweights its actually the main weight class i follow I love the hyped up prospects if we can get fights like povetkin perez wilder fury
king klits vs hopefully a fury type tht will hype the fight up

hopefullu we will no longer see guys coasting fighting bums till they get a shot at wlad now with wbc belt hopefully we get more big names fighting with two big belts out there there should be two title eliminators tht will be good

and its great when u get hyped. up hw fights like haye chispra or new stars like wilder or anthony joshua i love watching young hws come up and we all hope this guy or that guy will be the next big thing

for me the best divisions will always be
hw
mw
lhw
ww

I like weight classes.
I can't see why anyone (Boxing fan) does not adore the HW division. It is what "allows" us to view faster, more talented technicians in the ring.

Without the weight classes, you would not have this luxury.

As much as it is "cool" to bust on HW's if there were no WC's all that you would see is "plodders" after a handful of months when the big lummoxes kill, maim or force the smaller fighters into retirement.

Don't even Fing act like Wladamir would not obliterate any and every Boxer in any weightclass in the ring at this time.

Zero respect for fighters that would flat out put the quicker guys to sleep is rather P-envy IMO. Just be thankful that the likes of Mayweather or Pacman don't have to face the likes of any HW Boxer getting heavily busted on in this thread.

Well, if a division produces few interesting or entertaining fights for a period of time (which is undoubtedly the case of the HW division relative to most other divisions in the sport), surely you can understand why some people might criticize that division? Or is that all just "P-envy"?

There is something to be said for the actual best guys in the world going at it, even if it isn't always pretty. If you are the undisputed HW boxing champ, you are the undisputed best boxer on the planet.

A little guy might be 'P4P' better than a HW champ, but that doesn't change the fact he is getting laid out within a round if they actually fought.

That's why it should always remain the most prestigious division, because no matter how shit it appears to be, it is the only one that truly matters.

There is something to be said for the actual best guys in the world going at it, even if it isn't always pretty. If you are the undisputed HW boxing champ, you are the undisputed best boxer on the planet.

A little guy might be 'P4P' better than a HW champ, but that doesn't change the fact he is getting laid out within a round if they actually fought.

That's why it should always remain the most prestigious division, because no matter how shit it appears to be, it is the only one that truly matters.

Except in the eyes of millions of people worldwide, obviously.

Except in the eyes of millions of people worldwide, obviously.

I knew that comment would elicit this comment.

The truth always hurts. We all like to watch Mayweather or Manny and delude ourselves into thinking that we are watching the 'best', all the while a small part of us knows that a disinterested Travis Walker beats them senseless one after the other.

The truth always hurts. We all like to watch Mayweather or Manny and delude ourselves into thinking that we are watching the 'best', all the while a small part of us knows that a disinterested Travis Walker beats them senseless one after the other.

But why would Travis Walker fight them?

Which is totally irrelevant to whether other championships matter.

Did Travis Walker hit you too hard?

I mean, if the only point of watching boxing is to watch the fighter who is capable of beating everyone else in the world, then HW championship fights are the only fights that truly matter. Presumably, people watch boxing for more than this sole reason, though. If we are to accept that people watch boxing for a great deal more than just that, perhaps for simple entertainment, displays of heart, skill and athleticism, and/or regional, ethnic or nationalistic pride, then maybe we'll find that the HW division isn't the only division that "truly matters." Of course, if you only enjoy boxing for the first reason that I stated, you're right, the HW division (more correctly fights that directly relate to the HW championship of the world) should be the only division that truly matters to you. If you can accept that people might watch boxing for other reasons, then you're patently wrong about the elite of the HW division being the only competitors that actually matter.

Not me, I prefer lighter weights 140 & up. They have a good blend of speed & power.

Watch the eitist play u down now.... Floyd may sell more in the us now, but there there is a reason ali and tyson are the most know boxers in the world

Back