Do boxing fans also prefer watching heavyweights?

stuff jones

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know the general public seems to prefer watching heavyweights because of the spectacle of watching two huge men maul each other. However in my opinion its generally less talented boxers who fight at heavyweight and consequently not as enjoyable for actual boxing fans. Last night was an example. Those are two of the best heavyweights but if they were welterweights with their skill (and stamina) level, no one would have heard of them.

I think the main reason that heavyweights are less talented boxers is there simply fewer natural 240 pound men in the world so there are fewer with natural boxing talent. And because there's so little talent, there's not that much competition and so less need to polish your craft.

I know the general public seems to prefer watching heavyweights because of the spectacle of watching two huge men maul each other. However in my opinion its generally less talented boxers who fight at heavyweight and consequently not as enjoyable for actual boxing fans. Last night was an example. Those are two of the best heavyweights but if they were welterweights with their skill (and stamina) level, no one would have heard of them.

I think the main reason that heavyweights are less talented boxers is there simply fewer natural 240 pound men in the world so there are fewer with natural boxing talent. And because there's so little talent, there's not that much competition and so less need to polish your craft.

A ton of boxers that are born with naturally-gifted KO power tend to decline technically, because they rely on their power too much. It's happening with Golovkin right now

A ton of boxers that are born with naturally-gifted KO power tend to decline technically, because they rely on their power too much. It's happening with Golovkin right now

That is very correct. They seem to think they can knock the guy's head off.

I tend to watch heavyweights because I know that there is no difference between the person/weightclass from the time they weigh in to the time they fight.

A heavyweight is a heavyweight is a heavyweight.

A junior welterweight title fight, however, would be contested between a welterweight and a super middleweight come fight time.

I prefer whatever weight class is the most interesting at the moment. The weight classes around welterweight has been most popular the last couple of years I think, with a bunch of great boxers and before that it was the weight classes around featherweight. Right now light heavyweight is very interesting. Heavyweight has b

The heavier weight classes are not priemere in the USA. For your fan that watches HBO, Showtime and PPV, HWs are rarely featured, CWs never and there are only a few lHWs even.

HW is simply not an optimum size for mobility and stamina.
When a HW with these attributes comes along(Ali - Tyson)they become a phenom.
We all tune in for the big KOs but more often than not leave less than satisfied.

I love watching heavyweights. I'll watch 2 fat slobs on an undercard, IDC.

I prefer the smaller guys. LHW is generally my limit. I find at that weight and below the guys are more skilled.

I don't like a lot of the unskilled, slow, plodding HWs, but a good HW bout, like the Bowe/Holyfield trilogy is always good to watch.

what you forget is that a lot of the old HWs are closer to CWs in weight, so they were more mobile and faster.

There are plenty of great HW fights in the sport's history. There haven't been very many in recent years, though. Takam/Povetkin a couple of months ago was good.

There are plenty of great HW fights in the sport's history. There haven't been very many in recent years, though. Takam/Povetkin a couple of months ago was good.

I understand some of the criticisms Wlad takes (though I'm a fan), but Vitali always put on pretty good fights. Adamek also was pretty entertaining IMO.

It kind of bell curves for me along the weight classes. Heavyweights and cruisers dont appeal to me as much as the weight classes in the middle. The lightest couple of weight classes I simply don't much knowlesge about.

Rather watch 2 little guys like Barrera and Morales throw down over 2 heavy weights any day of the week.

In boxing or MMA, I wonder if favorite division of most of the fans still is heavyweight.

Nah, can't stand to see a couple of fat dudes no taller than me go at it. I much prefer my beloved sport of boxing with great speed and skill.

Back