Do blocked strikes still count as landed strikes?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Gamer2k4, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Gamer2k4 Black Belt

I ask this because a lot has been made about Reyes the advantage in landed strikes in the first three rounds. I personally gave round 2 to Jones because I felt had the more effective striking despite his overall output being lower, but obviously plenty of people disagree. It did get me thinking, though.

What exactly is the criteria for a missed/landed strike? Obviously a strike that lands on the chest is recorded identically to one that lands flush on the chin, but how about a checked kick? Is that a landed strike or not? How about a headkick that strikes the arm instead of the head? The attack didn't miss, but obviously it's not the same as one that hit its intended target.

And of course this matters in close fights like this one. What good is outstriking someone by 10, 20, 30, strikes if the strike difference comes from attacks that were blocked or checked? Giving someone credit for a blocked strike is like giving someone credit for a takedown where the other guy pops right back up, but presumably it happens. So does anyone know the actual definition or criteria?

2. Gamer2k4 Black Belt

Really, no answers? I'm legitimately curious, so I'd appreciate it if someone could offer some insight.

3. chinarice Steel Belt

When I watched last night, I remember thinking round 2 was closer than the stats show.

I will eventually watch it again because I think it's an extremely close fight worth another look.

4. podsox Gold Belt

I don’t even pay attention to the strike metrics because they are always way off. Boxing’s are even worse

5. Portland8242 Black Belt

It's why Lewis' decision or Latifi was fucking horrible.

Lewis' flurry at the end of the 3rd he landed like 1 clean punch. Latifi got robbed worse than Reyes.