Do away with the belt system!

Immortal-BJJ said:
Seriously PaulChu, you're starting to sound like a real fuckin bitch. You keep bringing up this shit about McDojos because of blue belts thinking they can teach because of this quick way to teach shit, who fucking cares. If a person is low enough to do that shit, then we all know how far that person is gonna get in the BJJ world, absolutely no where. The belt system is good, don't shit on it just because some people try n take advantage of it, because the bottom line is that he can wear a bluebelt all he wants but we all know that a real bluebelt would mop the floor with this fucker. There's gonna be people like that regardless if there's a belt system. If there were no belts, then a person could still come along, open up a school, and tell his students that he's had years of experience in a martial art, and he'dd be lying. REGARDLESS of the fuckin belt system. Just shut the fuck up if u don't like the belt system, because everyone who loves BJJ is just gonna go against you. I think you're just pissed off cause u went to a McDojo and bought into the dude's bullshit, then thought u were getting good, then competed, and realized u suck dick. Your fault.
nice way to get personal with the attacks... but hey, if you wanna go on living your life proud of whatever belt you earned at your dojo, be my guest.

actually that's what this thread has devolved into, a mishmash of "I EARNED MY BELT I DONT CARE WHAT NOBODY SAYS!"

Fine... last time I try to bring up anything that uses more than 3 braincells in this forum.

I think promotions are good and needed. But I do think the promotions need to be given by a black belt. Really, who cares about the belts though. Ive been lower belts tap higher ones all the time. What matters is how good you are. Not the belt color. It's just there to intimidate other people.

ya take away belt classes and let me take my blue and go fight any top BJJ BB in a tounrey huh

paulchu said:
I've mentioned this previously on a few threads, and I don't want to necessarily take away from those of you who have earned your BJJ belt, but...

hypothetically, wouldn't BJJ be a lot better without the belt system? (statements in parentheses are from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDojo)

Why does BJJ have a belt system anyhow? For example, take the Sam Hoger fight in UFC 56. Sammy Hoger is a black belt in BJJ, he went up against a Karate fighter, and Sam was not being very effective on the ground. People like Chuck Lidell have gone up against black belts and have just completely put their ground game to waste with a good sprawl.

of course chuck liddell has beat brazilian black belts IN MMA, but not in brazilian jiu jitsu he cant, bjj is just an aspect of mma there totally different games. clearly youve never earned a belt, when you work hard and train hard and earn your belt its an accomplishment

Paulchu- To answer your question. Really it wouldn't make anything better in BJJ to get rid of the belts. Getting rid of the belts does not prevent any of the McDojo stuff you mentioned other than belt testing fees. Yes it's hard to explain exactly what the boundries are for the various belt level... but there are boundrys that are fairly universally recognized. Why do you think people come on here and write about some guy wearing a belt he shouldn't. Cause they know.

Hell, I challenge you to go to a recognized school and participate and observe the classes for several weeks and tell me what you see.

But like I said, as fuzzy as they are the boundries do exist, and if the belts didn't exsist then people going into a tournament, which I might add they payed good money for, are more likely to be mismatched.

And to answer your question about tournaments. you do need tournaments to give you a different oppertunity to learn, and compete against people who are not your training partners, and will hurt you if you don't tap.

dutchmasterj3 said:
I think promotions are good and needed. But I do think the promotions need to be given by a black belt.
Yes, that makes complete sense.

Enron Exec - yea, that's right. The point of me starting this thread was all an elaborate hoax to get you to join a tourney and get wailed on by a black belt. And I repeat -- what am I on? number 7 -- there are other ways to rank than belts.

And again, I'm gonna point out that I'm not necessarily PERSONALLY AGAINST the belt system. I am just saying, the way BJJ is growing now, it could lead to POTENTIAL DISASTERS within it. Just almost any other martial art.

paulchu said:
nice way to get personal with the attacks... but hey, if you wanna go on living your life proud of whatever belt you earned at your dojo, be my guest.

actually that's what this thread has devolved into, a mishmash of "I EARNED MY BELT I DONT CARE WHAT NOBODY SAYS!"

Fine... last time I try to bring up anything that uses more than 3 braincells in this forum.

First off, everyone in BJJ has aspirations of getting their black belt, and I think I'd much rather be proud of a black belt than be proud of bashing the art, like you seem to be doing.
Second, stop calling it a fuckin dojo, that shit is annoying.

paulchu,

I understand your concerns; I share them. I've gone through enough crap with McDojangs in TKD; I don't want to have to deal with the same in BJJ.

What, exactly, is your solution to the problem?

Back