1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Do away with the belt system!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by paulchu, Nov 25, 2005.

1. paulchu Guest

nice way to get personal with the attacks... but hey, if you wanna go on living your life proud of whatever belt you earned at your dojo, be my guest.

actually that's what this thread has devolved into, a mishmash of "I EARNED MY BELT I DONT CARE WHAT NOBODY SAYS!"

Fine... last time I try to bring up anything that uses more than 3 braincells in this forum.

2. dutchmasterj3 Blue Belt

I think promotions are good and needed. But I do think the promotions need to be given by a black belt. Really, who cares about the belts though. Ive been lower belts tap higher ones all the time. What matters is how good you are. Not the belt color. It's just there to intimidate other people.

3. ya take away belt classes and let me take my blue and go fight any top BJJ BB in a tounrey huh

4. nick889 Blue Belt

5. Ybot Purple Belt

Paulchu- To answer your question. Really it wouldn't make anything better in BJJ to get rid of the belts. Getting rid of the belts does not prevent any of the McDojo stuff you mentioned other than belt testing fees. Yes it's hard to explain exactly what the boundries are for the various belt level... but there are boundrys that are fairly universally recognized. Why do you think people come on here and write about some guy wearing a belt he shouldn't. Cause they know.

Hell, I challenge you to go to a recognized school and participate and observe the classes for several weeks and tell me what you see.

But like I said, as fuzzy as they are the boundries do exist, and if the belts didn't exsist then people going into a tournament, which I might add they payed good money for, are more likely to be mismatched.

And to answer your question about tournaments. you do need tournaments to give you a different oppertunity to learn, and compete against people who are not your training partners, and will hurt you if you don't tap.

6. paulchu Guest

Yes, that makes complete sense.

Enron Exec - yea, that's right. The point of me starting this thread was all an elaborate hoax to get you to join a tourney and get wailed on by a black belt. And I repeat -- what am I on? number 7 -- there are other ways to rank than belts.

And again, I'm gonna point out that I'm not necessarily PERSONALLY AGAINST the belt system. I am just saying, the way BJJ is growing now, it could lead to POTENTIAL DISASTERS within it. Just almost any other martial art.

7. First off, everyone in BJJ has aspirations of getting their black belt, and I think I'd much rather be proud of a black belt than be proud of bashing the art, like you seem to be doing.
    Second, stop calling it a fuckin dojo, that shit is annoying.

8. blindgod Blue Belt

paulchu,

I understand your concerns; I share them. I've gone through enough crap with McDojangs in TKD; I don't want to have to deal with the same in BJJ.

What, exactly, is your solution to the problem?