Do athletes make too much?

I always shake my head when some pro athlete gets a new contract that's worth insanely more money than his previous contract. As though for that much more money he's going to perform that much better.

Edit: OK, the Yankees won one championship with A-Roid.

Last edited:
Of course athletes are paid too much. Everything costs more because TV commercials during games cost more and the costs are passed on to consumers. Even shitty players get paid a crazy amount.

No.

the free market dictates their value. millions of people watch sports and buy merchandise. some sports generate a lot of interest and others not so much

its why someone who sucks in the NBA makes a ton of money to ride the beach, meanwhile someone who might be the best wrestler in the world makes peanuts.

They don't, they generate the revenue so they deserve it. But is their job more important than a nurses? You wouldn't say so.

The problem with taxes in America is that the military gets their hands on too much. Reduce military spending before messing with athletes IMO

I realize that the money that is directed Into sports is simply the result of free markets and people making personal decisions with their own money.

Glad you said this so I didn't have to.

Does a guy getting paid millions to play a schoolyard game make way too much money? Yea, maybe...

Does some chick clearing 10k a month to show her bush on OF make too much money? Lol. Maybe.

Do they make more than some hard working construction worker or bus boy? Yea. What is the alternative? Who is gonna regulate their money? They are not getting paid from government funding.

No.

the free market dictates their value. millions of people watch sports and buy merchandise. some sports generate a lot of interest and others not so much

its why someone who sucks in the NBA makes a ton of money to ride the beach, meanwhile someone who might be the best wrestler in the world makes peanuts.
And ticket prices keep going up to pay those insane salaries. It's even worse because whenever a team signs some big free agent (see A-Roid) to a massive contract, they rarely go on to win the championship in whatever league they're in. They just get a guy who never justifies the ludicrous amount of money they gave him.

This past weekend I was hanging out in Seattle visiting my sister. She took me all around the city sightseeing, eating, drinking, and all manner of other activities.

One of the things that struck me hard was the extent of the homeless situation in the heart of the city. For people who live in Seattle it's probably something they've become accustomed to. But to someone like me, coming from a relatively suburban part of New Jersey, the depth of Seattle's homeless problem was jarring and troubling.

One of the things that it made me think about was how much resources our society invests in frivolous things, sports being one of the big ones.

There are 10s of thousands of athletes in our country making millions of dollars essentially playing adolescent games.

I realize that the money that is directed Into sports is simply the result of free markets and people making personal decisions with their own money. And that's great.

But it still makes me wonder if our priorities as a society are messed up. We invest in child's games to the extent that the participants of these games get to live like royalty, while some of the biggest cities in our country are overflowing with homeless and starving people.

Maybe we can do better? Or maybe not?

I don't know. But I hope things get better in the future. The richest country in the history of the world should not have so many people in the streets living hopeless and destitute lives
Nobody makes too much. You get paid the most you can get and they pay the least they can. That’s the relationship for every job

Athletes are entertaining though. And we love to spend money on entertainment.

The solution of course was to have the homeless become entertainment. The bumfights creator was on the right track. We pay tons of money to watch athletes punch each other, yet we deny that opportunity to those who need the money the most by making bumfights illegal. Sad.

mmj3ewomsqe71.jpg

<{anton}>
That was A level trolling!

Let's put it this way. If NFL NBA & MLB monthly paychecks were cut in half and the remainder of their salaries were evenly dispersed monthly to teachers in the USA the world would be a much better place featuring far fewer imbeciles

Of course they make too much lmao, nobody should be making 20 million dollars a year to play ball games, I dont give a fuck how tall they are or how fast they run

That being said, it doesnt impact our lives at all, and wouldnt do a god damn thing about the homeless problem in Seattle

My city is the way it is because young people are fucking stupid and vote for stupid shit, simple as that

And ticket prices keep going up to pay those insane salaries. It's even worse because whenever a team signs some big free agent (see A-Roid) to a massive contract, they rarely go on to win the championship in whatever league they're in. They just get a guy who never justifies the ludicrous amount of money they gave him.

Again... Free market

If there is demand and people still pay the prices, then it's fine. If people don't consider the value, they are free to not buy the tickets. Prices will the naturally go down.

Capitalism is so pure and beautiful.

Again... Free market

If there is demand and people still pay the prices, then it's fine. If people don't consider the value, they are free to not buy the tickets. Prices will the naturally go down.

Capitalism is so pure and beautiful.
Prices won't go down. They never do. Hockey isn't even that popular overall in this country, and hockey tickets have always been among the most expensive.

It's immoral to live in a country where there are people who literally have tens of millions of dollars in the bank while some people are so poor that they are forced by society to break into other people's homes to steal things so they can afford to buy things they want to buy.

If you think that spending money to watch sports is frivolous, wait until you find out what these homeless people spend on drugs, @Gracious Warrior

They make what they are worth to the team or sport. On a relative scale compared to those that do more for society, yeah they make too much on that sort of scale.

Back