Do any of you play racing games with a wheel?

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
Racing games have never been at the top of my list, but I do enjoy them and I have the following games available to me that I acquired through my Xbox services. (Gold, EA Access, and Game Pass)

Burnout Paradise
Dirt 3
Dirt Rally
Dirt Showdown
Forza Horizon
Forza 5
Project Cars
Split Second
The Crew
WRC 5
Grid 2
F1 2015
Need for Speed
Need for Speed Rivals

I'll also use it on my PC with a mame emulator for classic coin op racers like Road Blasters and Chase HQ.

With all of these racing games and plus the shit ton of other games I have backlogged I figured an accessory would be a better investment. I don't need anymore games as I'm at the point where I have so many available that I don't even know what to play half of the time; so I decided to order a racing wheel yesterday and this is the one I got...

91gc%2BjBjX3L._AC_.jpg

It's a Thrustmaster TMX force feedback wheel. They usually sell for $199, but I was able to find one for $140. I was just curious if anybody can offer any input on this.

Last edited:
Racing games have never been at the top of my list, but I do enjoy them and I have the following games available to me that I acquired through my Xbox services. (Gold, EA Access, and Game Pass)

Burnout Paradise
Dirt 3
Dirt Rally
Dirt Showdown
Forza Horizon
Forza 5
Project Cars
Split Second
The Crew
WRC 5
Grid 2
F1 2015
Need for Speed
Need for Speed Rivals

With all of these racing games and plus the shit ton of other games I have backlogged I figured an accessory would be a better investment. I don't need anymore games as I'm at the point where I have so many available that I don't even know what to play half of the time; so I decided to order a racing wheel yesterday and this is the one I got...

91gc%2BjBjX3L._AC_.jpg

It's a Thrustmaster TMX force feedback wheel. They usually sell for $199, but I was able to find one for $140. I was just curious if anybody can offer any input on this.
Where'd you find it for $140?

Where'd you find it for $140?

Ebay- The price included shipping and it was from a legit seller. I was kind of apprehensive about buying one of these, but I got suckered into the deal.

Last edited:
I was just curious if anybody can offer any input on this.

With most of the low end wheel/pedal setups. The pedal pedometers are usually the first thing to go. An if they are forcefeedback a dead zone will eventually form at the wheels center. This is for they arent designed for heavy use.

Logitech series they came out with in 2006(?) to replace their Black Momo is the superior forcefeedback wheel/pedal setup. Theyve increased the version numbers throughout the years. ECCI is the top end non-forcefeedback wheel with TSW being the cheaper variant.

With most of the low end wheel/pedal setups. The pedal pedometers are usually the first thing to go. An if they are forcefeedback a dead zone will eventually form at the wheels center. This is for they arent designed for heavy use.

Logitech series they came out with in 2006(?) to replace their Black Momo is the superior forcefeedback wheel/pedal setup. Theyve increased the version numbers throughout the years. ECCI is the top end non-forcefeedback wheel with TSW being the cheaper variant.

The logitech wheel was around $300 dollars though. I also don't spend a lot of time gaming, so I'm kind of being a cheapskate about it. From what I've seen some of these setups can get really expensive. This one dude from a youtube video I watched had $8000 into his set up.

This is the guy I'm talking about below. He reviewed the wheel I bought and said it was a good entry level wheel. He reminds me of the dude from The Princess Bride...

I play Race 07 and Assetto Corsa with a Logitech G27.

My buddy recently bought a fanatec bundle. It is incredible.

B-CS-V2.5-GTFV3SQ-1000x666.png

UH-RGTF-Big_01-1000x666.png

CSP-V3_04M.png

CSP-V3_02M.png

I play Euro/'merican Truck Simulator with one.

I like it even more than with racing games. WTF is wrong with me

Logitech G920 is considered the best starter wheel at $300. Most enthusiasts eventually go the custom build route.

How do you build a racing wheel? Doesnt it need to have gamepad functionality and all that built in?

Or do you mean they modify retail wheels?

6533992_preview.jpg
Yes, I dress up and speak like a pirate the whole time Im racing too.
I usually win because people are either really distracted and confused or think I have some kind of mental disability and "take it easy on me".
Hehehe suckers.
Aye matey a win is a win!

How do you build a racing wheel? Doesnt it need to have gamepad functionality and all that built in?

Or do you mean they modify retail wheels?

Retail products can be modified or the user can buy wholesale(or make) parts to customize their wheel/pedal entire component setup.

A racing wheel doesnt require gamepad functionality. Racing simulators UI's are designed to operate off user programed button strokes from the wheel.

This is a Formula1 steering wheel:
Sauber-C33-steering-wheel.jpg

In Simulation Racing you dont need to go this complex. However the user can choose to go that complex.

I eventually bought that wheel in the OP and it sucks. I've tried a bunch of different racing games and it doesn't feel natural to control at all. I've given it several attempts too, and it always ends up back buried in my storage closet. They amp up the force feed back feature, but I think it would feel better with no resistance and maybe a little bit of vibration like the old arcade games used to be in the 80's and 90's.

I eventually bought that wheel in the OP and it sucks. I've tried a bunch of different racing games and it doesn't feel natural to control at all. I've given it several attempts too, and it always ends up back buried in my storage closet. They amp up the force feed back feature, but I think it would feel better with no resistance and maybe a little bit of vibration like the old arcade games used to be in the 80's and 90's.
Sorry to hear that, buddy. Hyperglide likes to race; I'm surprised he hasn't popped in. @Hyperglide

So you went back to controller? What games do you race in?

I'm currently playing Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 4 which obviously feel amazing with the controller, but I've been thinking about getting Assetto Corza Competizione which I heard is way better with a wheel.

I've put more hours into Gran Turismo Sport than any other game by far. I play with a controller though and it took a loooooooong time to get even remotely good with it. I actually bought a g29 on Amazon but it didn't work so I returned it and never looked into another one. I may get one for GT 7 though. I'd go the cheap route to see how much I actually use it before I drop way more money on a DD Fanatec setup

This is a pretty good video

Back