do any of u feel comfortable standing w/ a standup guy if u can't get him down

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by devante, Oct 22, 2005.

1. devante

devante Silver Belt

The reason i ask this is because many people say they would never trade..or try to outbox a striker; esp if he was better..bigger..faster and hits harder than them; most people here said they would tie them up or shoot for a takedown..etc.

My question is what would u do if u could not get ur opp to the ground, do u feel ur standup is competent enough to open up the opp up enough to work him to the ground or even survive in a standup exchanve long enough to get away.

I ASK THIS cus i saw ufn and saw how leben was brought down and subbed his opponent, the striker finished the grapler because he had no choice; he would not have been unable to safely regain his feet w/out opening himself up to a sub..so he defended, saw an opening and ended the fight.

So the same applies here if u could not get an opp down would u be able to eff strike w/them to land a finishing blow or strike well enough where u could open them up for the takedown or sub later on.

examples of people who have done this Gan Mcgee stopping rizzo...chonan subbing silva..

2. OpethDrums

OpethDrums Banned Banned

end of thread

3. RizRan

RizRan Guest

Wow next time you post asking for advice attempt coherency.

4. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

Yes, if I couldnt take my opponet to the ground & he was a better striker than me I still would trade shots with him and be effective. I have faith in my striking abilities but I would take the takedown if I saw an opening.

5. recoil

recoil Orange Belt

i am a standup guy..... this is the standup forum.... we should all want to trade

6. Mr X

Mr X Blue Belt

I would be game to stand and bang as I have really good boxing but my knees and kicks arnt very good so I would have 2 stay close-ish.

7. Hamit Aktas

Hamit Aktas Amateur Fighter

If he really was a superior striker (nog v. crocop) then I wouldn't wanna trade with him. Of course if I saw an opening to do some damage, I'd take it. But I'd take the first chance I got for the takedown.

8. scorcho

scorcho Brown Belt

I would take the fight to were I thought I was better. Seems pretty logical.

9. Marvin Covar

Marvin Covar Amateur Fighter

lol good point, mate.

10. judogido

judogido Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...

Well done, dopey. Ask strikers in the striking forum whether they'd be comfortable with standup if they couldnt take a guy down. Well....uuuuh > Yes - very comfortable, thanks?
    -----------------------------------------
    Standup Technique
    Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Grappling Technique
    You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

11. Gregster

Gregster Black Belt

I think it's a cardinal rule of fighting that you take the fight in the direction it bests suits you. If you're a striker, keep the fight standing and do everything you can to avoid going to the ground. If you're a grappler, get the fight to the ground fast where you can do your work.

If you're outmatched striking, then it's a no-brainer: get to the ground. Soak up a couple shots if you need to to close and take the guy down. Risky, yes...but if you're thinking you're gonna lose anyway, what have you got to lose?