1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Do all martial arts that become popular eventually become impractical?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by elwani, Mar 3, 2021.

1. elwani Instigate, dominate, annihilate

Due to exploitation of particular rules or features like the gi, or simply a purposeful dumbing down for the masses in order to make money?

Clementine likes this.
  2. Hellowhosthat Gold Belt

Well the most popular martial art has always been boxing and that's pretty practical so I'm gonna say no.

3. BRASIL WAND ▓▓▓AMERICAN TOP TEAM▓▓▓

MMA is becoming impractical, pretty soon it’s gonna be the Ultimate Windmilling Championship.

<{titihmm}>

[​IMG]

Draxton likes this.
  4. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

If someone can kick your ass in an octagon, they'll still kick your ass on the street. Probably even worse.

It's not like if a fighter just goes berserk and decides to kill you with his hands, he's going to only follow sanctioned MMA rules in a street fight.

Bubba Kid and tony pepperoni like this.
  5. everythingulove Yellow Belt

Believe it or not, the gi is used in competitive ju-jitsu. It's been done for defensive purposes, without a gi, since its inception, at least.

bjj4everyone likes this.
  6. JosephTessaro Silver Belt

Weird thread title with odd adjective...

What if they became popular but were never practical?

IngaVovchanchyn likes this.
  7. elwani Instigate, dominate, annihilate

I actually have a theory that even the most impractical of martial arts may, at the time of their invention, been practical.

For example, I've always thought that Taichi was never practical. But then I learned there is a village in China that apparently teaches the original Taichi and watching a video of their sparring, it is basically like a mix of modern Greco-Roman wrestling and Judo. Also were it not for MMA and people like Machida, perhaps Karate in the USA would also enjoy the reputation of a martial art that was never practical.

The fact is, if they were never practical, how would they have gotten established as a martial art in the first place?

8. elwani Instigate, dominate, annihilate

But has boxing ever really been popular? (I mean as a martial art the average person tries to learn, not as entertainment)

9. MikeyB Purple Belt

The answer is that the issue isnt the art, it's the practitioner or the application.

The vast majority of TMAs were never intended for sports competition. They were intended to fight off the riff raff, not trained fighters in an octogon.

10. JosephTessaro Silver Belt

In the Karate Kid, Daniel Son a karate practicioner, beat Kobra Kai and won the championship. Karate was practical, and stayed practical, but then became impractical since Kobra Kai was defeated.
    In The Way of the Dragon, Bruce Lee was a jeet kune do practitioner. He beat Chuck Norris who was a Karate practitioner.

There are some fighters who still use karate, and there is Alex Caceres who uses jeet kune do.

So I am saying they are all practical, by way of my explanation aforementioned above. Truly MMAath.

11. Volador Brown Belt

I mean... your hypothesis is disproven by mere observation. Boxing is practical, wrestling is practical, muay thai is practical, bjj is practical, judo is practical, kickboxing is practical, etc.

Competitions need rules, otherwise they can't exist. Rules are often exploited or have certain loopholes. I don't really understand what connection you're making between that, popularity and the arts/styles as a whole being "impractical".

DagOban**, 3879 and ejlarson249 like this.
  12. elwani Instigate, dominate, annihilate

I'm not arguing that they are completely impractical, I'm questioning whether they become more impractical as they become more popular as a martial art that people try to learn.

For example, I'm not arguing BJJ is impractical, but I am questioning whether modern BJJ is growing more impractical as people exploit the gi and the rules to apply techniques that would never work in real combat. And I'm not arguing Karate was never practical, but clearly before it experienced a renaissance in MMA, the way it was taught in the US was mainly impractical, thus the popularization of the term McDojo.

And I'm not sure boxing and wrestling were ever popular as martial arts the average person tried to learn.

13. The Chosen Black Belt

Like do you mean it becomes watered down? Yeah totally, a martial art is inherently only something people of a “warrior caste” are proficient in, martial duties and skills aren’t meant for the masses.

14. Phrozenspite Red Belt

Ehh... I think we just think that sports BJJ is impractical. with the lack of conditioning that the average person is going to have along with the no takedown defense even the random leg attacks are going to work. most of the world would be unable to stop a purple/brown belt manlet from tearing all of their joints apart

3879 likes this.
  15. Volador Brown Belt

I do think that boxing has been pretty popular for a long time as something "regular" people train. And wrestling is one of the main sports that kids train in the US all the way through high school and college. BJJ is immensely popular now, and I think it's reasonably effective. If you go to a place run by a respected black belt, I doubt that you'll get some watered down shit.

But I think you're referring more to the "TMA's" like kung fu, karate, aikido, etc. And it's true that a lot of them became invaded by bullshit techniques, or maybe some like Aikido were always bullshit, I'm not sure. Understanding why that happened would require looking into their specific histories, which isn't something I'm familiar with.

It seems to me that a lot of the traditional martial arts at some point became something people did because of the discipline or workout aspect more than anything else, so it's not surprising to me that they stopped being selected for combat effectiveness, since a lot of people didn't really care. The lack of real sparring also helps the bullshit survive, but it might've seemed like a necessary thing to do to make them more appealing. Kickboxing, boxing, wrestling, never had that problem as far as I know. The popularity of MMA has helped sort out a lot of the bullshiters, although some still exist I guess.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  16. GrantB13 Black Belt

People actually try to make this argument though funnily enough. As if a fighter that can cripple another trained fighter by kicked their legs couldn't also utterly obliterate some rando's testicles with a kick.

RightToBareKnuckles likes this.
  17. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

Yeah, it's weird right? I don't think they've seen many (if any) actual street fights.

18. SovereignPhantom Blue Belt

Yeah like I've trained various martial arts and can respect that a BJJ match isn't the same as a real fight, but a lot of people think they can just walk up to a good blue or basic purple belt at an academy and stomp on them because they don't strike in training. The speed at which your legs get locked up if you're not competent at leg lock defense is astounding if you actually experience it.

Phrozenspite likes this.
  19. Phrozenspite Red Belt

this would definitely be the random tough guy who thinks he'd just walk through a leg kick lol

20. muaytao Brown Belt

Western gyms have to do it because soccer mom and their low testosterone son can’t keep up