Do accents really fade?

LATEXXX COMMANDO

Ominous Flesh Discipline
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you know people who have had distinct accents and fade over time in the new environment they live in? I've seen people from NY with strong accents fade over time from living in California and people from England who have accents also seem to change from living in the US for a long time.

Do you know people who have had distinct accents and fade over time in the new environment they live in? I've seen people from NY with strong accents fade over time from living in California and people from England who have accents also seem to change from living in the US for a long time.

I'm from Ca and I know a British guy and a guy from NY who have faded accents. The accents aren't native to Ca, but they're less distinct than before.

Absolutely. A lot of my family immigrated from Ireland and you can't even tell they are Irish after decades in the states.

idk i was always under the impression that if you wait long enough, your accent will always be there. my mom is from italy but came here when she was under 10 and has no accent.

her first cousins came when they were 14 and older and they still have italian accents to this day though they've spent 80 percent of their lives in the states. my conclusion was that if its under 11 or so you won't keep an accent when you emigrate and learn a new language but if its over that, its set.

based on this thread though, i could definitely be wrong.

I used to have a pretty thick southern accent. I don't really have one anymore, or so people tell me, but I'm sure if I went up north people would notice.

I've known two native Chinese that managed to ax their accents entirely. One in 8 years, the other in an amazing 4 years to both achieve about perfect English.

But that is not the norm.

For Connery and Arnold they get stronger over time no matter where they are.

My dad used to have an obscenely thick Staten Island accent, now he talks like he was born and raised in California.

Depends on the person. Most people start picking up the accent they are living in currently. If you move, your accent will typically change a bit. Now, in most cases everyone there will think you have the accent from where you are from. When you go back home, they might think you have the accent of where you moved.

I know quite a few British that this happens. It's obvious they have a British accent to the Americans here, but they say when they go back home people think they're American.

idk i was always under the impression that if you wait long enough, your accent will always be there. my mom is from italy but came here when she was under 10 and has no accent.

her first cousins came when they were 14 and older and they still have italian accents to this day though they've spent 80 percent of their lives in the states. my conclusion was that if its under 11 or so you won't keep an accent when you emigrate and learn a new language but if its over that, its set.

based on this thread though, i could definitely be wrong.
My father is the same way. He immigrated here to the US when he was 10 years old from Croatia and has no accent whatsoever but my Uncle his brother who is about 9 years older and immigrated here has a Croatian accent

I know a native korean, and russian girl who've both lost their accents completely.

If you spend a ton of time around people with the different voice, then yes your accent does fade. I've had skype friends from the UK and Australia in the past and after a certain amount of time, your phrasing starts changing to match theirs.

If you spend a ton of time around people with the different voice, then yes your accent does fade. I've had skype friends from the UK and Australia in the past and after a certain amount of time, your phrasing starts changing to match theirs.

Yeah, it's interesting to see it happen the other way around too, knowing people that spoke like you, then move to a different area and they take on someone else's accent.

Or is it a matter of picking up new accents quickly? Lotsa Californians have a knack for absorbing certain vowel shifts within a span of months. We're fake as hell like that.

Jesus dem titties.

My ex-gf is from the UP of Michigan. I was almost ashamed when I realized how much I was saying "ya know" after being with her for a while.

Back